Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  41
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk3 Capri V8

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    good to see you back on it mate. shame the weather's been so bad or you could've splashed some fresh paint in the bay too before the engine went in. neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

2. LikesWB54 liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    it’s just grotty from the bodywork, it’ll need some paintwork in places as it’s not the best, so may do it in colour over the summer.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Decision time, Capri's getting an 8.8" axle, do I stick with 15" Minilights, or go US 5 stud and 15" Torq-Thrust II's ??

6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Grown up? Never!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It’s the minilights for me

Chaley
    And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

8. LikesWB54, mygasser liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chaley View Post
    It’s the minilights for me

Chaley
    Me too.
    Ps we do our own in 8 x 15 at work at a good price.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

10. LikesWB54 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Few steps forward and back.. gearbox crossmember wasn't working. Mustang T5 tailshaft has a 5 degree angle built into it, not obvious out the car but enough to be a problem. I made a cradle from 6mm plate with the 5 degree angle built in, braced it to angle and hung it off the original captive nuts, should give more ground clearance. This was one of them things that really ****ed me off. I like things neat and symmetrical. The mount ended up being asymmetrical, offset and wonky due to the 5 degree angle, but it fits perfectly, it just pressed every OCD button of mine. To make it worse I only had Hammerite to paint it with, so it looks like it been dipped in molten tarmac.

Other annoyances. Bought a nice gearstick for the T5, needed a slight bend, though I'd cut and weld it up, ****ing things made from EN1A, doesn't weld for ****, £30 wasted, have to make my own now.

Tried the old prop, thought I might get lucky but no, it's about 3/4" to long. Not a problem but pushed for time to drop and fetch it.

Next on the list, fit all the goodies like carb, dizzy, starter, headers etc and get the clutch slave operable

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see this project progressing nicely! I'd love to see the gearbox xmember you have made. I will be needing to do something similar.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyGXL View Post
    Good to see this project progressing nicely! I'd love to see the gearbox xmember you have made. I will be needing to do something similar.
    will get a snap when I'm under it next. Nothing to it really if you have everything level, was a bitch on mine as the trans mount has an included angle.

I'm a bit further on with it now, slave is on, adjustable pushrod made and clutch bled. Little heavy so might look at the slave or mc sizing to lighten it up.

Propshaft was 20mm too long, dropped it down to Propshaft Services in Feltham for them to sort. While its away I'll have to do pinion and cover seal on the atlas, hate stinky gear oil.

Other snags, crank pulley fouls ARB, so will need to space that so I can fit a belt. Sorting hoses for the heater matrix and I sorted a speedo cable. Had to find one from a Mk3 Ghia, specifically the Essex V6 with a C3 auto as this shares the same speedo drive as a C6,C4 and T5. If I did this again, I defo go with a Cossie T5 tailhousing, shifter is better placed and Type 9 Speedo a straight fit.

Other bis, ordered a nice Cossie ally rad and twin fans, will get that mounted over the weekend.

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I have the same issue with the angle as its the same box. We chatted briefly via PM a few months ago as I have a Cossie T5 and was looking for a mustang tailhousing so I could get the shifter in the right place. Its all going in my mk3 cortina behind a 4.6 Rv8.

I managed to get a mustang tailhousing in the end and im in the process of having my prop yoke sleeved (for the small ford main shaft, and the larger opening of the tailhousing. I also found out about the speedo cable which was a bonus as the fitted a C3 I think (maybe a C4) in the mk3 cortina so I managed to get a cable that fit perfectly. The only snag I have found is that where the speedo cable enters the tailhousing is different to the cossie tailhousing so I will need to move the worm gear further down the shaft so that the cable will attach.

It seems to all be possible though!

I will have a spare cossie tailhousing i'd sell if you need it?

So what was the set up in the capri before then? I thought it was a SBC? Have you moved the engine back?

Also - I am running an aftermarket ally cossie rad in my capri with a rv8 and it does the trick nicely!
    Last edited by JoeyGXL; 17-05-2018 at 11:00. Reason: More info

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember now. I think I'll stick with the mustang tail mate, its all rebuilt and in the car, just a minor annoyance.

The speedo was a light bulb moment one night when I found out T5 and C4 were the same. I knew C3 and C4 interchanged so figured a Mk3 V6 with C3 would be perfect. Could not find one, but have turned up a second hand item. If it's OK length and angle wise I'll order another new.

My car had Rover, Windsor 302 and SBC (with different owners) Engine is about as far back as you'd want really before getting the gearbox out is a problem.

Glad the cossie rad sounds like it'll work, the Sierra DOHC rad that was in it fit perfectly and was bigger, but the hose positions were for the 302 set up. I could have got them moved but I'd prefer the ally rad anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information