Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  30
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Mk3 Capri V8

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    can't you just swap pulleys to move the belt run further forward? you may have to make a water pump pulley with the right offset but i'm sure you can manage that. bolt a 'long' crank pulley on and match the rest to that. at least the pump can stay and you'll save money and time swapping it over.
    neil.
    not really feasible, there’s over an inch difference between short and long water pumps. They sell conversion spacers but they’re not far off the price of a new water pump. i just want to bolt it all on and move on to other bits.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right, dragster provisionally sold, so back on the Capri

Ordered a new long water pump, pulley set, alternator mount and chrome single wire alternator. All in bolted up and sorted. Managed to cobble up a heater hose arrangement. not happy with it but it'll do.

Next big job was making new exhaust downpipes from the block huggers. I decided to do them in stainless, but with hindsight maybe shouldn't have bothered. Lots of work tig welding them, when they could have been mocked up and mig'd in the same day. I worked out there 7ft of welding in those two pipes !

they still need a straight section to tie into the existing system, as well as a "H" balance pipe, and there's one left to finish weld. Thanks to my Wild Bunch pal Goz for the stainless bends

Few small jobs to sort, notably throttle cable / bracket / spring, dizzy shimming, plug leads and other wiring then it's time to fire it up.

In parallel I'm building up a Ford 9" axle for it. I made a template from technical drawing dimensions to centre the pinion and cut the housing down to length

I had a touch buying the axle I did off Carl Harris, four stud mustang 8in shafts in a 9in housing, which assemble to 56 5/8, only 3mm off a standard Atlas Capri axle and no PCD change

I need to cut the housing to size, fab spring saddles and make brackets to take Scorpio rear calipers. Question for anybody still reading. Ford 9" has a 2.5" brake offset. Does anybody know the measurements of a Scorpio caliper from the centreline of the disc to carrier mounting face ? I'd prefer to bolt them onto the housing flange but need this dimension to spec the depth of the rear disc ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    back to the worlds slowest build....

My 9” has been narrowed courtesy of Chevy2, (cheers Gary). bought a nice Summit branded T5 short shifter

Ford 9” center section was built up by Paul @ Southern Axles, very reasonably priced and a good job.

Started on the wiring, unpicked all the ****ty wrapped loom and found all manner of ****e, chaffed wires, exposed lives buried in the loom, grounds disconnected, hidden/ no fuses, scotchlocks, melted wiring, you get the picture.

Wiring up the twin fans, my pal Dean drew up a trick relay set up which uses a stock Intermotor dual thermistor, but instead of powering one fan on low temp and both on high, they’re wired with 5 pin relays so they both come on at half speed at low temp, both on a full temp at higher temp, which gives more even cooling and wear on the fans, plus they’ll be quieter at low speed. Need some tidying.

Pressing on with all the little bits, throttle cable done, alternator sorted, exhaust wrapped, dizzy shimmed, static timed, coil mounted and wired, temp sensor, heater plumbing etc

Still plenty to do, wiring under dash needs completely going through. 9” is built ready to go under, just waiting on caliper brackets to take cossie rear calipers and discs. Focus will be to get the motor fired and cam broken in soon.

Swap meet was productive, picked up throttle springs, wheel nuts, alternator plug, some nice chrome center bolt valve covers, a mint late sbc sump, Autometer electric temp gauge and a Petronix coil as a spare. If anyone has or knows of a temp sender to suit an Autometer gauge please let me know. Real Steel want nearly £40 for one....

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some progress being made

Never liked the clearance between the rack and sump so throught I better do something about it now

all welded up, no leak and a shot of satin black

Seeing as I had the front end apart, I re-did all the bushes and balljoints, this is supposed to be a poly bush to "tighen" en up the handling, aka ****ed cheap rubbish

Took the opportunity to brace up the steering rack mounts

Managed to crack my vice pressing in wheels studs with it, ****ed off as it was my late dads, probably 50 years in the family...anyway, spotted a refurbed one on ebay, not cheap but I was lost without it

Still going through wiring, had to rip out and re-install a CAT 1 alarm which does the craziest ****, very cleaver stuff, drops certain voltages etc Found the car already had an inertia switch fitted for the ignition and pump which was a clever of them. Exhausd has been wrapped, wired in alternator, reverse light, temp gauge, all takes time

we did have an attempt to fire the motor but we were rushing it as I had to go out for dinner for the Mrs birthday. it cough and backfired through the car, we need to static time it properly, plug some ports and more importantly prime the engine properly. When I swapped the new chrome valve covers on, the right hand bank was dry as a bone so we obviously need to prime it for longer and at higher pressure to get the oil up to the rockers, so we calle dit a day and I'll tidy other bits until we can get a free day on it again

Started making plug wires to the correct length and used the opportunity to put right angled boots on instead. I had black or grey (MSD) ones so being a snob I used the MSD ones but was one short. A quick shout on Facebook and somebodies got a spare they can part with so I'll have them all matching, which is nice.

Next up, we fire the motor and assuming that's all good, it's headlong into fitting the 9in axle, rear disc conversion and Brembo big brake conversion on the front. I want the car on the road for this summer, and specifically for the Capri 50th anniversary at Brooklands in Sept.

7. Likessteve1275, Torment liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're making some good progress there mate
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    You're making some good progress there mate
    Cheers Neil, seems never ending but slowly chipping away at it all

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep, but writing down what you've done and reading it back to yourself makes you realise just how much you actually did . it doesn't seem a lot until you list it all and then feel much better
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in