Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

more sod than rod !

Well it could be a rod if you like.. call it what you want, giant pile of poo! its just a post of general interest hopefully...

Latest build is this 1930s Alvis it was a 4 cyl motor but thats been replaced with a 3 ltre six, shortened chassis drilled rails ad brakes, and 4 barred rear on slipper eliptics.

Started buiding up a body for it, something like an ally boat tail doh dah whatsit.. follow along and have a belly laugh at my expense you might even learn how not to do something ...
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: more sod than rod !

Shoved it out and made up a cardboard template for some idea of a side profile.. No real idea of what its going to look like, just using a couple of random reference pics and some imagination..

Best thing with cardboard is its free, and easy to cut and when you cut it wrong its easy to stick the bit back on... saves time and money.. but unfortunately it goes soggy in the rain..

So the body will be finely crafted ( cough ) from 3003 H14 1.6 mm ally sheet.

Starting from the floor and working from there the bod will be developed to include such finery as blisters ( to match the ones on my fingers) rivits or maybee even rivets and a smattering of louvres, expertly () cut on my home made louvre press.
    Attached Images

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

did you mount the diagonal bars on the rear as they seam out of place to the rest of it.
    looks good for a ****ter

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Just brush resin onto the cardboard - job done!! Well, it was good enough for Trabant....

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting at the back and working forward for no other reason than Im probably kinda backward.....I made a start to the tail, or what shall frome hear in be termed, the "arse end" for those qualified in tech terms.

With some trusty cardboard I marked out the side profile making a cut out to suit the line of the chassis then set an edge usuing nowt more than a hammer and dolly..

then with a big wooden mallet the shape of an egg I whallopped the top edge of the sheet into a piece of old tree stump. This was purley because my stress medication had run out and had zip to do with any intentional metal shaping.......however inadvertantly a row of ripples occurred along the top edge and a voice in my head called these TUCKS...

After smasshing the TUCKS flat the panel took on a curved appearance strangely reminisent of an old boat tail racer..

I smoothed out the damage and was left with somethig to work on...
    Attached Images

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

About this time I decided to rest and so far cant get my lazy arse back in the shed... must try harder...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Moved this over to the garage

If you use the image hosting rather than the attachments you can get more than 5 images per post and they will show up full size from the off
    Meep Meep.
    My Intro

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, They are additions to stop the spring parting co with the chassis, there slipper springs so just slide in and out with no phyisical attachment to the forward mount. other than tension.. and a wee prayer.. Those bars answer the prayer and ensure that the axle remains part of the chassis... well thats the theory apparently, failing that on the first application of the brakes the axle stops the chassis continues and we call it a tail dragger...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it whatever it is Reminds me of the old ERA's. And so easy to throw together (if your posts are to be believed)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this a lot , very cool
    visit us at www.luckydevil777dragracing.com "life isnt an audition"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information