Still lovely weather here in NZ, so I dragged the bonnet outside.
Filled the repair:
Bare-metalled the whole bonnet:
And gave it a couple of nice coats of Etch-primer and left it to bake in the sun:
satin black top coat ?
"I'll just give it a buzz off then a coat or two of primer." Famous last words. The lid was quite rusty but had been coated (primed?) with some white stuff that was obviously made of unobtanium or similar.
I tried everything: DA with 60-grit discs (this worked OK of sorts but would blunt the discs almost instantly), Sander with 60 grit sheet, sander with 40 grit sheet, grinder with flap-wheel. Nothing seemed to be truly effective so I resorted to 40 grit paper on a sanding block and then using just the edge. It took about 6 hours to get it down to clean-ish metal, then I realised that these holes:
Weren't a spoiler mount but had been drilled to pull out the dent in that area. Out with the TIG and welded them up:
Not pretty due to the thickness of the metal etc, but sealed up none-the less.
A quick skim of filler and it was evident that the depression in the boot was quite large. Very shallow, but large:
So after a quick spray over with rust inhibitor it was time for a couple of coats of etch primer.
Had I been in the US I would have trashed it in an instant and been down to NPD before it hit the scrap pile, but I'm in NZ where these things just aren't plentiful.
I might see the logistics of replacing it after lock-down, but for now at least it's presentable.
Same deal with the roof today.
Rubbed out, coat of rust inhibitor, 2 coats of etch primer and 2 coats of hi-build primer.
More boring bodywork, but this time with modifications!
After stripping the wings, a few holes became evident. These ones obviously from a side-repeater light:
And this one at the base of the wing from???? Possible a trim piece or mud flap:
After a bit of TIGgery, grindery and beatery:
And then a small skim of filler-y:
At this point I'd normally blab on about etch primer, but unfortunately I've run out!
Leaving me the last resort of Red-Oxide primer:
This will be coated with hi-build primer once it's fully cured.
Love it dude. I like the purple as something a bit different. If you’re looking for conversion mounts sump and headers they turn up quite often on the 429/460 page on Facebook.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MY GARAGE AGAINST THE WORLD 8mm pitch blower pullys wanted pm me
The RH wing went very similar to the LH one, except for the humungous series of holes that was the aerial mount:
I don't know why Ford saw fit to bolt half a ton of (ugly) metal to the top of the wing just to mount the aerial. Even back in the 70's there must have been better options.
Anyhoo, bare metal goodness:
Followed by the usual weld, grind, red oxide and then a few coats of hi-build primer. Front end now has no side marker holes, trim holes or aerial hole:
Apparently the weather is due to change a bit tomorrow, so the next step will be removing the doors to bare-metal & prime under cover.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)