I've been doing the same on my trailer. Like a the Mustang but finer lines, more sophisticated.
What up with the reg? is it on hold or de-reged?
With the front wings and bonnet back on it begins to look more like a car!
On to the back wings. The LH wing took ages to get back to metal. The paint was more than 2mm thick in places, but I'm glad I made the effort as the surface rust under the (seemingly) smooth paint definitely needed attention.
The arch had obviously been in the wars, so I dug out all of the filler and removed/treated the rust underneath and then re-filled & shaped it. After this it had a coat of rust inhibitor, but then the rains came forcing me indoors.....
But not to be put off, I restored the bonnet badge using my wife's acrylic 'artists' paints:
LegendLives – Always amazed at how fast you work, the car is already a big improvement.
I’ve posted a link to this thread on another forum I use.
As they have just restored their first 1992 Mustang ( sold in 1997, found and rebought in 2018 ).
Good luck, Paul.
A few people have asked why I'm taking the effort to bare-metal the whole car. This is the reason:
Doesn't look bad, does it? a couple of scabby bits but nothing that a quick scour out and fill wouldn't cure
But start looking underneath the paint and the extent of the rust, and rust capillaries become more obvious:
A few hours later. This was all done by hand as it's Good Friday and apparently the noise of a grinder is a no-no
I'll finish it and prime it tomorrow - weather permitting!
The screen scuttle is the last permanent panel on the car to be bare-metalled and primed (except for the sills which I'll do when it's up in the air).
I gave the rear wings a couple of coats of hi-build over the rust-inhibitor which has been on there for a couple of days:
Looking very grey!
Over the next couple of days I'll take the doors off and give them the same treatment.
....It's a doors reference......
Doors. What a blinking nightmare! They didn't look too bad until they were stripped which revealed all kinds of nasties (this is the driver's door):
Horrible previous repairs with gallons of filler:
Holes, presumably from another previous repair:
Rust holes under the (never to be refitted) side trims:
The only thing to do (as none of the shops and suppliers are open) was cut the old repairs out:
Renew the bottom frame lip (already done in above pic) and find some suitable metal the correct thicness:
Yeah, that'll do!. Now weld it into the hole and beat the cr*p out of it to get it near-enough straight:
Weld up the rows of holes:
And just for good measure, weld up the original door mirror holes:
Once all that is done, give it a good scour up and apply filler. There isn't actually a lot of filler on it, it's like a fat politician - covers a large area but with no depth!
(This is the passenger's door):
Then apply a coat of rust inhibitor:
Both doors are near-enough at the same stage. I won't bore you with primer pics until they're back on the car.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)