After bleeding the brakes and fitting the prop I got back from MJC engineering (cheers Guy and Jonathon), I got to drive the car yesterday. Although it looks like the gearbox and engine need to come out cause I found a crack in the gearboxes rear servo across the casing. Never saw it till it was full of fluid
Anyway, I plastered it with JB weld and gave it a blast up and down the track anyway, before I tear it apart.
Not entirely sure I will bne able to use the B&M shifter either (sorry Paul!), theres too much play in the shifter itself, and I found yesterday that finding the right gear was more a question of moving the shifter until it did what I wanted it to do!!
Would that be partly due to there being a leak and loss of pressure or something?
Also fitted a red top facet fuel pump, hoping that will solve my overall lack of fuel going to the carbs.
Excellent Kit, you've turned the corner now, you are no longer building it but repairing it instead !
love it mate
and no worries on the shifter, was worth a go
get it fixed and hot rod drags!
i want cubic inches! lots of em!!
With the shifter, does this box have a L1 postion on the lever from the side? Yesterday, it took ages to find the right gears and sometimes it would appear to be drive in every gear lever position
Does a shifter from a car with a bw65 or even a gm180 have the same pattern and distances as the 35? It wouldn't suprise me if BL kept it the same so they didn't need to make so many differant parts
Anyway, I have bought a new gearbox but want to get a trans shop to take a look at it before I put it in. Anyone know the sort of cost for this kind of check-up?
OK, more work done. The B&M shifter wasn't working right since it is really designed for a TH350, so I decided I would use a shifter from a a car which had a BW35 fitted to save the trouble of matching the detents. I opted for an MGB one, and made a mount to fit. I had found that when strapped in, I couldn't reach the ignition or fuel pump switch , so they were moved to alongside the shifter too.
But the biggest change was the gearbox. The first one was knackered (https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/tec...ty-63259/page2), so I bought another and fitted that (twice, don't got there!!), which fingers crossed, seems to be OK.
Initially it was a bit tempermental with reverse, but after I adjusted the bands and got the carbs running much better, and I think it has improved.
Also made some open exhaust headers:
And found the wheels rubbed on the arches, so made some raising blocks which I'll fit when I get longer U bolts
The rear suspension is too soft too, so new adjustable Gaz shocks are on their way
Provided it behaves itself, HRDs is my target, but whether I'll actually take it up the strip this time I am not so sure
Excellent work Kit, interior looks quite 'race car' now, well done.
Look forward to meeting you at the drags & hope to see your car there too.
Nice one Kit, it's all worth it in the end...!!!
Fueled by Jim and Luckies.
Still doing all the shit I used to ;-)
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)