Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Firebrewed's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, at least it resembles a car again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    cool thread,keep posts coming on how your getting on,
    reminds me of an f-type victor i had years ago,more holes than a tetly tea bag
    was a bloody good laugh cruising around in it,sold it to a guy in the aukney islands,mmm salty sea air and an old vauxhall,i guess its long gone by now

Official RnS Addict ROCKIN WOLEY's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

beutiful

What a fantastic shaped car, and in prety good condition from the photos.
    So please keep them photos and threads coming

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i love those cars, had a few and they are the one's i wish i hadn't flogged on, you know? lovely lines
    good job on the floor, what are your steering mount's like? a couple of mine had cracked the chassis, but easy to put right when you have cat stripped like that.
    A bullet might have your name on it, hand grenades are addressed "to whom it may concern......."

You can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    2009!!!!!
    I can't believe it's been nearly 5 years since I last updated this build. Well I'm pleased to say that it isn't just another forgotten unfinished project, I have been busy and here's the story so far.

After all the work getting the floor welded I sort of lost heart when it was back on its wheels looking no better than when I started so I didn't touch it for a while. Then eventually I got the motivation back and tackled the rest of the welding.

A posts were a bit crusty so the rust was cut out and new steel put in.

Box sections at the bottom of the a posts were put in and the sills were attached

Attention turned to the tops of the inner wings and new metal was added to have something to attach the headlamp panels to.

Welding largely complete, I turned the car back on its side for a coat of stonechip then some paint

Course then I realised that the green I chose was too light but as its under the car nobody's going to see it.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found the shade of green I was really after so after a bit of work painted the engine bay

Then I turned my attention to some mechanical bits, cleaning and painting the engine and suspension parts

Engine was then bolted to the crossmember and the whole thing fitted to the car

This way was a lot easier than trying to drop the engine in from the top.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mechanical jobs done it was time for some bodywork so all the panels were fitted

Here's where the original idea for how the car would look changed. Originally I was hoping to go down the Kustom route but soon discovered that my skills were not up to the task. I tried to find a bodywork course at college but none the local colleges were running them on an evening due to lack of numbers. So armed with more enthusiasm than ability I set about the body.

The nearside rear quarter was in a terrible state, the car having been severely hit at some point and badly repaired. I had a better rear quarter but the wing was in a bit of a state. The rust was cut out and better metal put in

It took a bit (lot!) more filler to get reasonably straight than I'm happy with, so that's when I decided to rein in some of the ideas I had. Happily at this time I got a set of Torq Thrusts (cheers Rikky) and I didn't think these would suit the original idea anyway.

I still wanted some custom touches though so I made some panels to smooth out the seam on the end of the fins (look at where the fin 'V' goes on late model PAs to see how they usually look)
    I also removed the bonnet badge, door locks and badges, front wing top trim, the boot lock and filled in the indentations on the boot

More later,
    Gary
    Last edited by Firebrewed; 22-04-2014 at 22:11.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome work! Really looks like you got going on this one!

Official RnS Addict Special When Lit's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good.

If you can't be an example, be a warning.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated I'll have this thread up to date this evening.

Painting the car was next job after a bit of filling and sanding and sanding and sanding and filling and sanding etc etc....and this was something I'd never done before (other than using rattle cans).

Lots of reading, talking to people and watching youtube videos convinced me I should have a go so I bought some epoxy primer, high build primer, an HVLP gun, air fed mask, and booked some time in the spray booth at the North East Restoration Club where I'm a member. This was the result

More sanding and sanding and I put on the top coats. Here, I learned from the experience of priming where I couldn't get the gun under the sills easily by doing the roof first, then lifting the car on axle stands to do the sills properly

The result wasn't particularly impressive.

Hoping to improve the finish from the gun I thought I'd try flatting it and polishing it. I made the mistake of going on holiday for a couple weeks after painting and then read that I should have sanded it sooner because it hardens.
    Never mind, I set to work with 1200 wet and dry then 2000. I then got hold of a polishing kit (Auto Finesse) and went over the car again. How people do this for a living I don't know, god but its hard work. Still it came out pretty well I thought.

A few weeks of putting all the trim on, scratching and chipping the paint every time I so much as looked at it too hard and the car was ready for wiring. A rebel wire kit went in quite easily after clarifying a couple of points and the car was ready for the MOT. An advise on the front wheel bearings (new ones, just needed tightening a little) an a fail on the handbrake (I'd forgot to adjust it) were the only problems. With those sorted the car was finally on the road and although it's not the Kustom I'd originally planned, I am really pleased with how it looks.

It is still far from finished, the interior needs doing and I need to fit solenoids to lock the doors and open the boot and the panels don't all fit as good they should. Also the carb is need of work and the front springs are a bit too soft, the front wheels catch on the arches sometimes and there's a load of little jobs which seem to be never-ending but I can drive it and that's the main thing.

Gary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information