Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  45
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep spotted them last night! on my watch list ! deisel is definately the way forward especialy where i live! my next project is probably going to be an amazon with a transit lump running on veggie oil .

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    right i could go all jackanory now but my finger won't last that long (i am that one finger typist ) my plans for the car is it`s to be my daily drive so has to be easy to source parts when i break it so thats why i choose mgb front cross member and rear axle and at the time an engine as well (until the xsara failed it's mot with tin worm) so now have two cars and two engines that's where the rat-rod started
    the second car.

i didn't think to take any photo's when i got it as i thought it was going to be for spares but it was about 60 % there but still no drivers door (since then i've got about 3 drivers doors )
    mgb engine and gearbox

i had the chassis sandblasted and as you do, tried the subframe for size. its the right width but just a bit high (i think it was about 18"/20")not going for the gasser look

so i cut the front of the chassis out, mocked up a bit of a jig and welded in the sub-frame to the chassis, and voila.

now the rear is sat at 12", front 8" so as the rear of the chassis had some tin worm in and too high ,so off it comes and a new one went in,i brought some 80 by 40 3mm box i put it on my bike jig to do this, all the cutting was done by the stilsaw in the back of one of the pic. well on the jig i removed the bottom lip of the chassis and put on some 30x30 angle iron . in ready for boxing but forgot to take pics

Last edited by bully; 07-03-2016 at 17:10.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk2FiestaNick View Post
    hiya bully, notice your from oxford, im from oxford aswell love the idea of a diesel rat rod, id love to build a sit up and beg prefect with banded wheels, widened fenders with a big dirty diesel in it and left looking rat what scrappers did u find it in btw?
    hy the car came from smith`s of bloxham thay tend to keep the classic cars sat to one side for a bit
    the diesel motors going in the good one they mgb motor going in the rat i thought about putting two threads up one for each car but im going to strugle to keep up with just one
    Last edited by bully; 06-07-2013 at 21:34.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i put the axle in to try it for size

tried the body and panals to make sure all were in line and if my wheels looked ok

me thinks i might have to widen the rears a bit

the rear cross member in the way so that will be moved but fits well

now this is when my car failed its mot, so out with the engine and try it in

engine sat to far back i'm hopeing to keep it a 4 seater so i chopped out the sub frame

replaced the top bit 20 mm from the bottom the engine now fits (the two bars under it were for support but now will be for steering rack to mount on )

Last edited by bully; 06-07-2013 at 21:30.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    when i put the engine in i had to remove the intercoler as it sat to far back not a prob will fit a difernt one but the turbo sat abot an inch form the o s shocker so i thought ill do a coil over convershion the rack sat rite under the bottom pully so i thought move the rack if im going to do that ill put the power steering rack from the citroen ....yeer me being a **** if you put a rack from the back of a subfram to the front guess what turn the steering let it go`s right ..... bum i no ill fit a left hand drive one in and turn it round that will work
    yer good ider but when i looket for one its rocking horse poo as all the left hand dive cars get bourt and shipet abrod so i solket
    but when i was down the scrappy looking for one i soor this and thourt that will do for the ratrod

ok well im looking for the rack ill get on with the ratrod when i bort it one of the frunt hubs were missing but there was a herald sat next to it so i stipet both frunt struts of it and put them in the car there you go all there again with spars lol
    nowing that the herald stubaxal is a littal pron to spliting i thought ill have me sume new uprated ones

befor i cut it up i looket to see if it was sume rare ugle thig but no joy so prob just sume old low cost ting
    right out with the cordliss four days to drill out all them poxe rivit but lots of ally sheet started to have a good look around it its not a herald but a vitesse based kitcar (bonus ) with triumph 15 fwd hubs on the rear
    did sume masuring it a littlelonger but 4" wider so body wont fit ( bum )
    i now il cut the chassis to leve frunt and rear supenshion repair the other cassis and drop it in the midal now thats the plan but !!!!
    found a lhd rack yepeeeeeeeeeee the blok told me one ov the fixing lugs were brok off no probs my mates a top noch ally welder so of to him
    and ill get on with the coilover thats about where im at now
    Last edited by bully; 07-07-2013 at 16:33.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    right fingers rested. over the last three weeks i`ve been building my front suspension as now i`m skint from buying things and the missis is starting to moan
    i`m one of those that thinks if someone else can do that why not me, i`ll have a go .i looked at all the coilover conversions that i could find and drew up some plans. made a wood template for the tower .looked ok so made up some 5mm plates.

i know theres no guard on it but sometimes needs must

when at the scrapy there was a new m.g.b came in, it was an abandoned project all the front had been rebuilt so off it came and home with me
    i stripped off the bottom arm pivots, cut them in half / lugs off then spun them down to 20mm (the biggest drill bit in my box)

made the side plates and bottom plates, tacted them together

the twin towers

i thought i would use the spare bottom arms and cut them down for the top ones, it work`to a fashion but looked pants...and as the bottom arms are under tension and held in by the spring plate(without the spring plate the arms spread and not in line). so.... binned..... and started making some adjustable ones

if you look in the back of one of theres my first arms
    still got no money at the mo i`ve found some turnbuckles to go in but will have to wait until funds allow.
    might get on with the rat-rod now
    Last edited by bully; 07-07-2013 at 08:04.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Looks like a good project.
    Is the doner car fwd.how will you get round that.

Keep the pics coming as the build progresses
    ldv pilot bellhousing lt77 gearbox the same as the 5speed rover v8 one and pilot gear lever remote to keep it foward

Official RnS Addict ROCKIN WOLEY's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some serious fabrication there fella not the obvious choice of engine either.

Jeff
    Injection is nice but I'd rather be Blown

CHARNWOOD CRUISERS

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKIN WOLEY View Post
    Some serious fabrication there fella not the obvious choice of engine either.

Jeff
    thanks for that i try but this front suspension a bloody nightmare to workout so if im doing anythink wrong im open to suggestion/help or advice
    the motor was giving me about 50/60 mpg and theres loads of them around so i can still get spares
    Last edited by bully; 06-07-2013 at 21:37.

Far Far sarf of Watford now!!! any further, my feet are wet!, Sunny Bexhill on Sea.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im liking this build, a bit of out of the box thinking going on here...... Top Stuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information