Never built an engine before, but here goes.
The plan was to replace the 3.5 Rover in my MK3 Zephyr with some a bit more powerful. The current block is an old P6 lump with small valves and as far as I know a stock cam. I've fitted an MSD ignition, Edelbrock dual plane inlet maifold and 500cfm carb and got a best of 15.10 @ 88 mph.
I've been collecting parts for a 4.6 for ages, but when a good 3.9 turned up in a scrapyard Discovery I thought it would be simple to swap it in and get some perfromance right now. Here's the engine up on a stand.
It's pretty oily, so I figured that a few of the gaskets if not all were leaking - I decided to rebuild it. I was keen on this engine as it's a '95 interim version with a serpentine belt and crank drivern oil pump, but still with a dizzy. It also has the big main caps and bosses to allow for cross bolting of the main caps. You can just see them here, half way between the top of the sump and the two engine mount bolts.
The stock compression is 9.35:1 on these, so I looked for flat-top pistons. This was entirely fruitless until a set turned up on eBay. Came in at a good price, new, unused. The only drawback was the bore: 95mm - I'd need a .040" overbore on the liners! So I tore the engine down and sent it of to have the boring and cross bolting done, as well as a general clean up and rebalancing. I hadn't really thought through what balancing would entail - the flywheel and clutch cover are needed (it runs an SD1 box)! As the Disco was an auto I had to find a flywheel and bought a new clutch kit as I wanted to keep the Zephyr on the road while this was happening.
The parts are back now and I'm right at the beginning of putting it together again, which I guess will be the interesting bit. Please chip in if you think I've missed anything or I'm doing something wrong! From here on, I'll try to keep this up-to-date on a day by day basis as I do the work.