Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    dez
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    a little more done. second pedal all tarted up, wormholed, pedal pad on and fitted in place.

ive also bashed the floor section around a bit, shortened the swaged and planished them out, and neatened up the flare on the master cyl holes.

ford model A sedan
    ' 38 hudson budget hotrod pickup build

"Some are scared of being misfits- im scared of fitting in.'

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

dez
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    well, I rolled it outside to get some better pics today. enjoy-

but why did I need some better pics?
    well, so I could submit the car for VHRA membership.
    the VHRA is the vintage hot rod association, a club for traditional styled cars, with fairly strong membership critera. in their own words-
    Membership of the VHRA is governed by a few simple rules, those of which are outlined below.

1.Ownership of a traditional style hot rod or custom is required. Traditional is defined as build styles ranging from the 1910’s to the early 1960’s. Projects are acceptable but must fall within the rules of the association.

2.All cars must be of US manufacture prior to 1949. Replica or non-US counterparts are acceptable.

3.All cars should contain a genuine major component of pre 1949 manufacture. Recognised components are: body, chassis or engine. Ford flatheads of later manufacture are acceptable. If your car falls outside these parameters they will be judged on their own individual merit.

4.Independent front ends, disc brakes, coilover shocks and/or radial tyres are not acceptable on a hot rod. On fendered, full size cars, they may be accepted if rules 1, 2, & 3 are adhered to and suspension is not visible.
    i thought mine fitted those critera, although I wasnt sure what theyd say as its not the most traditional car, more 'traditionally styled', tbh its far too radial to be a true trad car. athough ive got as many of the 'right' original parts in there as I can on my budget which goes a long way to getting that look.
    but, how did I do? well-

it was liked

so, I pushed it back in side, then I did this-

youll see why in a couple of days
    ford model A sedan

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie joe little's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    really nice work, the floor pans are looking really nice, theres more attention to detail in them than in some whole cars

Joe
    12.53 @ 107.2 mph home built 1700cc x flow! Faster than Dad....

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Too radical to be traditional"? Nah, never too radical, take a look at this:

Good to have you on board Dez.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Velly nice! Both

dez
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    as you said, we all know how 'traditional' or not we think our cars are
    ford model A sedan

dez
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    well, last update I left it at this-

wheel-less.
    id actually sold all 4 wheels by the time I left on my little roadtrip too, still got the tyres at the mo though. id gone and bought something else on ebay, something very cool and very rare. just the little matter of a 360 miles round trip to collect, but conveniently what I was picking up was only 10 miles away from my parents, so I could overnight it there.

so, up on tuesday, ollect that eve, overnight at the 'rents, back down weds, miles munched, and I have my treasure-

to the uninitiated, they don't look like much. but there a very rare set of wheels. they're 1937-only, plymouth and dodge only artillery wheels. they're special cos they're the only artillery wheels that are 16", and ford 5x4.5" PCD. the guy obviously had no idea what he had. they're good, clean, straight, the rears have brand new tyres, and the fronts are ok too. they were reasonably badly listed on ebay, and I was the only bidder at £250. single wheels fetch around 125 dollars each in the states, in as found condition with no tyres! so me scoring a tidy set with good tyres already over here so no shipping to pay was pretty unbelievable.

first thing I did within 10 mins of getting back was de-portawall them. I have a pathological hatred of the hot-rod cliche of red steels with whitewalls, so I sure as f-k wasnt fitting them on my car like that!!

I certainly think they look better for it-
    ford model A sedan

dez
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    next, was the small matter of actually making them fit. for the rear, this was pretty straightforward, as the PCD was correct, they just needed some spacers as the wheels didnt have a crazy offset like the ones id made, so didnt clear the bodywork. with a bit a bit of mocking up I decided 1-1/4", or 30mm, was about what I needed, so I did some ebay searching and came up with these-

30mm thick, 4x4.5" pcd, 1/2" UNF studs and nuts same as the ford 9" axle, centre bore is 71.5mm which is the same size as the wheels and larger than the ford axle. fitment- chrysler 300c! seems Mopar don't like to change things unless they have to.
    they're steel ones, I'm very suspect of the cheap chinese wheel spacers, as with how easily they break and curse word up, they simply cant be the grade of alloy they're advertised as, so to leave no doubt as to strength, I'm having steel.
    for those who'd have expected me to make some, a set of studs and nuts and the materials to make em ran to more than these did delivered(£75), so it was a no-brainer really. these are plated finish too so no corrosion either. and came next day too!

and that was the rear end attended to really, as simple as that. ive fitted it all up, and as I suspected, the rear tyres are too small. so ile flog these on and buy some bigger ones. only £440 for the ones I want.......

at the front end, it was a little more involved. my f100 brakes are 5.5" PCD, so a bit of a redrill was in order. dead simple to do with the indexer, only complication was I had to go out and buy the right size drill bit for the studs, and I had to skim the backside of the hub face a little so the flat surface ran a bit further in, as the studs were wanting to sit on the 'web' area so wouldnt sit straight. all pretty easy stuff though.
    hub redrilled-

drum redrilled, I had to stagger the bolt holes a bit as theres a random extra set of holes in the drum face, and they conflicted with the new PCD-

and the wheel on-

I still need to make some thin spacers for the front to get around a centrebore issue, but id done my homework so I already knew this. it needs a 1/4" spacer with a very large 3-1/4" centrebore so the wheel clears the snout of the drum/hub, as it cant be machined back as its the locator between drum and hub to keep it concentric. ive jsut mocked it up with 1/2" washers on the studs for now to cheack it will all fit ok with a 1/4" spacer, and it will.

stand back and take a look-

yeah, I'm happy with them! tyres are right size, or close enough (5.25x16, absoute widest id go to would be 6.00x16, which in reality its barely any wider).

depending on how much the bigger tyres raise the rear, and how much the front drops with the rest of the weight of the engine on it when its built up, I might see about sending the beam off and getting it dropped to make it sit level, but we'll see how that pans out.
    ford model A sedan

tattoo the world
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Hi des awesome looking model a is that a moggy pick up in the back ground with a modded rear end if it is think it used to be mine ?????????????

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant hotrod mate,but why the **** you would want to join a club that says you cannot build it your way?..**** em I'd say?
    Just a back yard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information