Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

my other heaps of scrap..

Got to many things on the go, like most of us.. Never voted this year ( again) cause no one will ever give me a wage rise and a 3 day week with 32 weeks holiday, so this stuff will just sit and rust till I get round to it.

Latest mistake errr purchase was this Karmann Ghia. Seen it on ebay, had some cash under the bed, it was reasonably local MOTd and on the road, always liked them so donned the rose tinteds and jumped in. Actually it drives real nice, nothing some dropped spindles, beanm adjusters and twin kadrons cant fix though... soon get that sucker bump steerin and backfirin all the way to the end of the street.

It looked OK when I looked it over and I sa most of the bad bits, and kinda overlooked on purpose the bad der bits.

paid up dove it home, parked it up, looked it over, bit the bullet and tore it apart..

5 litres of nitromors sorted the paint, £1000s of new parts will fix the remainder. ( pretty much got most of them now)

So what needs replaced, Floorpans, outer sills, rear lower wing quarters, engine bay panel, front headlamp panels, headlamp bowls, front nose cone, both front inner wings, air boxes, nostril boxes, both doors, bonnet, engine cover, all the glass every rubber seal, wheels tyres, brakes, steering, wiring, fuel tank and the interior.

decided as well to 60s it so some work to the tail light housings and front indicator housing to ditch the kitch 70s stuff and do the groovy 60s stylee..

Im going to start on tis as soon as the ally junk im doing now has vanished..

then the wifes 70s 304 convertible, maybee... or the stag, or maybee the A40 pick up.. I feel sick
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: my other heaps of scrap..

not really done anythong except find out what it needs so now its bare nekit...

filler hole thingy will be disapearing to clean up the lines, like the early models, floors look ok in pic but dont be fooled.. plenty por whatsit resto paint on there... could have done another year probaly but might as well just do it right..when I get the chance..
    Attached Images
    Last edited by BIGYIN; 08-05-2010 at 00:38.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Also bought this, sold it and bought it back again... have / had / have mediocre plans for it, or maybee just sell it again... get all enthusiastic then remember SVA et etc then cant be arsed, then get fired up then loose interest again, and so on ... anyone else feel the same ?

Thanks Totus for buying it from me, collecting all the bits stashing it for a year and selling it back to me... wtf happens now wanna buy it back.....
    Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Goods SVA is a doddle ...ya got a yera before it goes full car test...finger out!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Any chance you can post a photo of yourself sitting in the Devon Ian?!
    How'd the weekend go? Well, at the moment it looks like a dolphin that's been caught in a boats propeller.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Bucket View Post
    Any chance you can post a photo of yourself sitting in the Devon Ian?!
    Thats a strange one .. you want me nekit or will string vest and long johns be kinky enuff...????? I must warn you that im a fugly fother mucker..revealing my identity might ruin my superhero annonimity... your not from the revenue are yah?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason I asked for a photo mate was perhaps you'd take a look at it yourself & realise that you're about 18" too tall for the bloody thing & sell it!
    How'd the weekend go? Well, at the moment it looks like a dolphin that's been caught in a boats propeller.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh.. no worries there... these things are weird, ive had F1s and series 1s and for a freeky old austin its got about as much room in the cab as them yankee doodles. had a seat in it before I bought it back and it was fine ... only truck I dont fit in is a 28/29A..The austins biggernitlooks... To be honest though it looks like it will get the shift, been reading ove the SVA regs, what you read there in black and white appears to contradict a lot of wat you read elsewhere..SVA for amature buid so long as none of it was done at a place that builds motors as part of there buisnss, yet I keep reading snipets that folk are routinley asked for reciepts and proof of work by a garage or so called professional. ??? does my nut in for sure...would be fine I would qualify for a standard sva but the engine box etc come from a now scrapped doner MGB, a proper rust bucket, I dont know what the reg was to prove its provenance... also having read it it looked to me like the standard SVA was in force utill 2014 for commercials ... Im all over the place re building modified stuff these days......

P.S I also had an A35 van, roof came up to about my knees yet still more room in there than the good doctors turdis...
    Last edited by BIGYIN; 08-05-2010 at 23:41.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

SVA ( and BIVA ) is for Amateur built cars. That doesn't mean every nut and bolt has to be done by them and it is perfectly legit to have a rolling shell delivered to you but you must show photographic proof of YOUR input into . So buying a rolling shell, stripping it down , painting ,detailing ,reassembling , wiring IE if 'your' input is fitting the key in the ignition them the true manufacturer is using BIVA to avoid the stricter test .

You don't have to use a log book to prove engine provenance, there are other methods , but it does serve a dual purpose of allowing an age related plate IF used with a new chassis. Secondhand chassis means q plate regardless.

Goods SVA for vehicles under 3500kg ends in October 2011 just in time for introduction of EUWVTA regs in 2012 . Goods ABOVE 3500kg don't come into it until 2014

I miss my chopped Devon pick up, as you say amazing amount of room ( I'm 6'2" ish ..shrinking ) ...don't understand why ?
    Last edited by kapri; 09-05-2010 at 09:36.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh. Ok, sounds better, googled sva commercial vehicle and never found anything that was a difiinitive list of whats needed for a commercial test.

I was going to build a new chassis with slightly extended wheelbase. and use the front crossmember and suspension/steering from the mgb the mgb 1800 twi carb motor and OD gearbox and backend mounted on standard MGB rear leafs. Then basically drop the Devon pickup body on the chassis fit the MGB steering colum /pedal asembly and seperate gauges and rocker style switch panel to the devon dash. Then use the MGB wire loom to plug in an go,, I did plan to fit bearclaws and probaly keyless / handle less
    entry.. but keep the rest looking ratty just doing the raggy edges for mot...using that lot as I understand it now I could get the mgb reg issued ??? does that then still need sva...

but whats the absolute minimum state of completion I can present it ...

The original chassis and running gear would e used as a donor for a coach built speciall, a shorty version of that one off buick thats on another thread would be good,,, or maybee somthing lke edsell fords red special...so would like to get the original chassis legitimised too..

probably to many ideas ..
    Last edited by BIGYIN; 09-05-2010 at 16:55.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information