Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  57
+ Reply to Thread
Page 191 of 191 FirstFirst ... 91 141 181 189 190 191
Results 1,901 to 1,908 of 1908

Thread: My Pop

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A place by Langley railway station did it, they were not blasted first. The bits Elliot did years ago are still ok.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    So now the tubing was made up the original mounts I made were no good. So I perused the ally stock at work and found some suitable bits that I cut to size. Asked my colleague to wave the magic sparkly stick over them to glue them together.

I then needed to drill & tap some threads in them and drill through the blocks to turn them into clamps. Once that is done I'll trim them down a bit and make them look pretty before polishing them up.

So, a bit of drilling got me to this stage;

Then a bit more drilling and tapping later they looked like this. I love the machining side of making stuff Next stage was to cut/file/linish/polish the mounts so they look smart.

Some filing and sanding later got the blocks to this stage;

And some work on the polishing mop brought the first one up like this;

And with both done.

And all completed back in the car. Might paint the copper tube, not sure yet as it looks quite funky as it is.

Last edited by blackpopracing; 04-10-2020 at 12:18.

4. Likes alan, Dodgy liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Catching up a bit more, another trip out to the Bagshot breakfast meet - post lockdown, weather was nice;

Got home and wondered what I could do on the car

Thought I'd have a go at the rear No plate. This is machined out of engraving plastic, silver face and black backing. I did not spray it originally but just brushed gloss 2K paint in the recessed part. It did not brush well and was a bit lumpy. Never been happy with it.

So some careful masking up and a little bit of trying to smooth the paint down got it like this;

3 coats of satin black later - 10 mins between coats got it like this;

And the wonders of 2K paint, 2 hours later its back on the car;

Much better, but still not good enough. Fairly happy with it but I think I will machine another plate (we have a new engraving machine at work now) which should not leave as many machining marks so I should be able to get the painted part properly smooth.

At least its satin black now, and looks 100% better than it did.

6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Time passes and not a lot of things to do on the car, took it out to a couple of local meets one weekend where someone snapped me chatting with a friend (I'm the silver haired one);

I've had some new Aeroquip hose on order as I've noticed one section now smells of fuel so I suspect the dreaded Ethanol issue has damaged it and it's sweating fuel. Annoyingly the new Ethanol proof teflon lined hose uses different fittings which are also only available in silver/black - mine are all red/blue so swapping out the fittings would add £100's extra to the bill so I have kept to the std hoses again.

Aeroquip gaurantee a minimum of 2 years Ethanol proof on their std hose and say it's good for 5 years so I'll use the std stuff for now and just monitor it. The current hoses are over 10 years old so have not done badly.

Lastly, I removed the blue dot rear light lenses a while back as the red leds did not work with them, the original glass lenses were in perfect condition but a bit dull to look at. I had bought a glass polishing kit as I have some scratches in my passenger door glass (from manufacture) so I thought I'd test it out on the lenses.

It worked surprisingly well! Not only was it easy to polish it all smooth with the sanding discs, but it also removed all the lettering in the glass with no effort as well. A little more effort to polish the glass back up again afterwards but I'm very happy with the results. No before pictures as I forgot to take any, but the after photo shows a nice glossy finish

Official RnS Addict choppedblownpop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can get the fittings in red/black for the Teflon hose from torques

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I've been told that by others recently too. However, I did not want to go to the expense of replacing all of the fittings as well at the moment, so I just bought some new hose.

One of the old hoses dismantled,

For anyone who has not assembled Aeroquip hoses here are a few tips on doing it. Always wrap the hose with tape before cutting to stop the stainless braid fraying. Cut the hose with a 1mm cutting disc with an angry grinder.

This will give a very clean cut and when the tape is removed hardly any fraying.

Top tip - even with the correct aluminium spanners it's wise to wrap the fittings as well to prevent marking the anodised finish. Another tip is to smear a little oil on the barb and thread as this makes assembly very easy and prevents galling of the aluminium threads.

All the hoses were put back on the car & I can now confirm the garage no longer smells of fuel anymore, so that all fixed now. I'll give them a sniff every now and then to check for seepage, but Aeroquip say they should be fine for up to 5 years before they go bad again.

Another little niggle that I found was my water bottle for the screenwash has rotted right through. I had to take it out to access one of the fuel lines and discovered it then. Cheap bottles I guess, not sure what is in screenwash but it obviously eats aluminium - even the brass rod that I use for the fluid pickup was covered in white fur (like scale?).

I've found a cheap website selling them so ordered 4

I've since found out that aluminium & brass hate each other and had set up electrolosis in the bottle - this had dissolved the aluminium. Ive got rid of the brass tube and just used a longer plastic tube into the bottle now.

10. Likes coupster liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is bloody brilliant

If you like choppers you could check out my Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/KustomChoppersUk

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 191 of 191 FirstFirst ... 91 141 181 189 190 191

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information