My Pop build thread

From this;

to this;

in under 10 years :D:D:D

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Ok'
I'll start at the beginning....

I'll start with a few of the very old shots of when I first started, and add to them later to bring you all up to date.

As first bought.

cutting roof off for a chop.

Roof back on again, with a Cortina MkIII insert welded in.

Donor engine.

Getting chassis & cage built.

Hmmm.......adding to this could take some time :(

#9 ·
Cage all finished (though it got more added several years later)

Tubs and rear floor go in, (though this also got changed years later)

Floor and trans tunnel get built, (though this also got altered years later, hmmmmm.......seems to be a theme developing here ;D)

Engine and radiator fitted, with front suspension fitted ~ which got sold off later, lol!!

Mocked up with the glass panels at the end of 1990.

I then bought a house and had to build a garage for it to go in, so not a lot happened till late 92, whe it finally got put in its new home.

#10 · (Edited)
Ford 9" axle fitted on 4 bars with diagonal link, Scorpio discs and calipers adapted to fit.

Built my own ally fuel tank,

Which fits in the boot here, you can see the new sheet metal going in for the rear of the boot floor too.

Unfortunately I lost a lot of photos (only tiny thumbnail ones left) of the rear panels being replaced, but it was all done and hidden hinges fitted to the rear panel with a fibreglass bootlid.

There then followed a looooooooong break where not a lot happened for several years due to not car friendly friends ???, and a particularly lucky string of girlfriends who also did not find cars amusing :shocked::shocked:

Roll on to around year 2002, and I decided to venture back into the garage again to see what was under the big pile of dust, much to the girlfriends dismay ;) needless to say, not too much got done as a result, but some bits progressed.

Heater got built in a seperate housing (Vaux Cavaliar MkIII, with a Mini matrix) which sits in the nose as there is no room anywhere else as there seems to be a large engine in the way :D:D

Roll forward another year and another partner who did not mind the car so much, and more work started to happen, dashboard gets filled and welded and new guages fitted

And this shows how the heater hoses go up to the dash and foot outlets.

Moving around to the rear of the car, new wheel arch flanges had to be welded in as the old ones looked like paper doileys :sniff:
This was a horrible job to do.

Ewww!!

More soon ;)

#11 · (Edited)
Moving on, doors finally get chopped to match the roof,

2 days later, all done,

A quick coat of celly black, purely for kicks, sees it looking quite good,

Door electrics go in,

And wiper motor gets fitted to cage, this is hidden by the roof dash panel,

Doors get re-skinned where needed,

And the roof dash panel gets built,

Door hinge areas all got cut out and remade with 6mm plate and re-inforcment.

Brakes go in,

And then I discover the rear suspension is no good :sniff:

More later ;)

#12 · (Edited)
As the chassis was wrong, it got put on my friend Wayne's chassis table and out came the plasma cutter :D (they are FUN!!!) and it got cut out.

New chassis rail sections were made up to replace the offending sections.

And it was all tig welded back in place again.

Then a panhard rod was added,

All finished,

Then the front was chopped out, (chassis had a twist in it) and new sections let in, and the twist removed at the same time.

New rails welded back in,

While it was on the table, new CDSII cage was also added,

And the front suspension was completely replaced cos it was totally f**ked, all the geometry was wrong, not sure what Bob Nixon did there.
Struts set on jig,

New suspension finished, (except new struts to be built to my spec by Leda).

Steering rack gets narrowed, but ultimately it will be mounted solidly (these mounts proved no good).

And as it arrived back home after the chassis work. If it was not for Wayne at that point it may well have never progressed, so big thanks to him for his help.

New ally floor had to be made to fit the new rear end,

Holes let into chassis rails for fuel/brake lines.

Fuel lines fitted,

And new fan and rad shroud gets made up.

Brakes and line loc get fitted into a housing,

#13 ·
Inner wings get made from ally,

Those are only temporary fixings on the strut tops!!

Battery tray goes in,

Boot floor area is panelled in ally, with a tool area built in,

As seen here,

Fuse panel is mounted,

Battery tray completed,

Towing eye mount (from Renault) gets added,

Exhausts get built up,

And tucked under sills,

And one complete side of exhausts,

Heater gets plumbed in,

Wheels get prepped in 2K epoxy primer/sealer,

And polished,

and fitted back on car, with lights finally fitted to wings.

Thats all folks :) (for tonight).

#20 ·
Next chapter ;)

Boot area gets fitted out in ally panels,

Power cut off switch is fitted,

Cable trunking goes in along roof,

I made a hose clamp for the heater hoses,

Starting on the ally inner A post panels, which will be removable,

Some new steel needs to be added,

All tacked in place,

With the inner mounting flange added,

And the inner panel fitted,

New steering column drop is fabricated (old one was fixed and clamp was no good)

Bulkhead gets planned out (also in ally) with the first section of the column shroud rolled up,

Ignition and cooling vents added in removable panel,

Washer bottle and horn fitted to inner A post,

#21 · (Edited)
A bit more for you all,

The steering column shroud starts to get rolled in steel (tried ally, but too difficult to weld without distortion in small areas)

rest is rolled up, and slit in half for easy access to wiring etc, ign tube is also made up here,

bottom half fitted to car, with ign barrel welded in, stalks are Capri.

all finished with a coat of epoxy black primer.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, new toys :D :D :D

And rushed out to car 5 mins later (as you do :D :D)

Now the new struts were on, I could sort out the steering rack mounting, for the correct alignment. As you can see, it interfered with the chassis a little ???

So some chassis cutting was required, with new tube (6mm wall) fitted for strength,

Then new rack mounts were constructed, which looked great, but subsequently did not hold the rack firmly, so had to be scrapped :(

A good nights sleep and an angle grinder, saw new solid mounts fitted, doing away with the rubber ones.

Chassis rails all filled and tig welded up again,

and steering rack fitted with no movement anymore :)

New vented disc's and calipers fitted, which completes the front end.

#22 ·
I got some roof bows donated to me, which was nice ;D

Made a steel shroud for the old fashioned sounding horn, and fitted it under the floor,

Then embarked on the tedious job of welding steel over the original 'grooves' where the leather(?) was wedged into to nail the trim into.

This was fitted with 4mm threaded inserts, so the new trim panels could be screwed on easily.

Next job was to alter the front dash area, as the 4" filter will not fit under it (friends 3" used to mock it up).

and with it cut out and recessed upwards,

New ally panel is made up to finish it off,

More soon :)

#23 ·
Got some new shiny bits :D :D so the back now has springs/shox,

Then back to body mods, passenger door top had a large gap, so a filler peice was welded into the door frame,

Close up of the filler pieces in the door frame.

With the door frames done, it was time for fitting the rear wings, which did not fit, lol. Some chopping of the fitting flange later and they were somewhere close.

First new section of glass flange gets layed into place.

There was a bit of a gap at the rear though,

And the front needed some surgery too,

And glassed up again,

Flange gets nearer completion,

And the finished new flange,

Mmmmm.........I said flange, :D :D

Wing all fitted correctly now,

Next job, chopping the window frames down,

Take one replica frame, and cut into 7 peices!

Add some reinforcing rods,

Then grind out both sides and glass it all together, (before & after),

And do the same on the rears,

And fitted back on car, with old door card fitted,

And the new side cards and window surrounds fitted to the car,

Then I had bit of a bonus at work, so I got the laser level out to find the rear centreline of the car,.....

What for you may be wondering......

Well this quick mock up made at work with ally and masking tape might give the game away........ :D

And look what I finally took delivery of, :D :D :D, a new snowplough front wing extension section, more on this later on.....

Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting episode

#24 ·
Tonights instalment, ;)

I got the wing back from Robinson Race Cars, built to my spec, shown here with the mock up spill plates,

Some of the end fittings for the wing,

Cutting the chrome moly aero tube, you don't wanna ask how much this stuff costs :eek: :eek: but it has to look right, eh? ;)

Letting the ends into the tubes,

and all built & fitted to car, with new spill plates,

additional bracing had to be taken to the roll cage,

and a frame made up to fit under the boot hump to take the downforce (it can generate up to half a ton of pressure, depending on wing angle), this had to be done in 3 sections to get it around the body braces and seatbelt mount areas.

And the brace fitted into the car, bolted into reinforced sections of the rear tubs,

Stay tuned folks :D

#25 ·
Hi and welcome back to the next episode of Anglia modding :D

Now that the rear wing is finished (damn it looks good :D :D) its on to more mundane stuff again, like door gaps........which were too big....tape gives a guide of the gap size.

So some 1/2" x 1/8" flat bar was welded to the door edge,

and trimmed back to the correct gap,

Moving forward on the car, the glass flip front now needed to be fitted properly, the first job was to get the rear of the wings supported properly, so I made up these bolt on supports, with nylon skid plates on them, (which will be bolted in csk holes).

Next, the front was not equal on both sides, so the tyre/arch gap was too tight on the drivers side, so the arch had to be cut out & moved up 3/4"

Clamped in place,

ground out and glassed in on both sides,

More work on this in a later episode..............

going back to metalwork, a job I'd been toying with for a while, fired up the grinder & took off the top half of the gutters, now they are easier to paint behind and modern car size.

and fully seam welded to body,

Door trims all epoxy primed at this point too.

Bonnet scoop after 5 sessions of sanding/filler/sanding/filler....... :tdown: just the inside to smooth out now,

and that the end of tonights show folks, be sure to tune in to the next exciting episode, lol :D :D

#26 ·
Back to the flip front, which did not fit that well (for me anyway),
To get it to line up with the body better required some major surgery,

And all glassed back on the inside prior to grinding out the outside and glassing that over too.

Passenger side required the same treatment,

The swage line did not line up on th drivers side either, so it was ground off and a new one built up in glass again,

And smoothed off with a quick coat of primer,

As the weather was nice at the time I got sidetracked and painted a load of parts,

Now back to the big bit!

Trial fitted after cutting loads away,

And it dident fit, :( so a lot more cutting was needed,

Some major slicing of the front end later saw it at this stage, clamped to a plank of wood to keep it flat & level,

and with the first few layers set, it was turned over for proper glassing up.

Front is now ground away for the glass to be added on this side,

And rolled out in the garden just so I can sit and stare at it thinking WOW! :D :D :D :D :D

I made some reinforcing angles in glass, and bonded these to the bonnet lower side to support the scoop better, special weights were needed to hold these down :D

four skims of filler saw it at this stage, but its not right yet,

tune in tomorrow for more :)

#27 ·
Another layer of filler saw it at this stage,

and 9 layers saw it finally to my liking :D

As weather was good, I got a quick coat of primer on the roof panel as well, (built at work :))

Next job was trimming back the rear of the wing for a landing panel and also to clear the lower door hinges, I made a cast and carefully trimmed the wing off from it, leaving a small section bonded to the cast.

Passenger side did not fit so well, so wing had to be extended

Drivers side basically finished, now needs tidying and the Dzus fastener fitted.

More soon :D :D