+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My truck build

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My truck build

Hi all,
    I have introduced myself and replied to a thread " Alternative builds with a UK twist " which was the thread I came across that got me interested in your forum. I have got a little " tiny " bit of interest but I have to admit my build is a little bit different with the donor chassis and concept a little out of left field.
    It all started when I was offered this for a box of beer.26022018 015.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    After getting the Toyota Coaster home I began doing a bit of research, measurements and looking for some inspiration for what to build. I know this all seems to be starting this project from the wrong end but I just could'nt look a gift horse in the mouth so I started exploring the wreckers and came up with this.01122017 008.jpg So now I had a 1973 Toyota Coaster " same chassis as the Dyna, I.D. plate even designates it as a Dyna " and a 1976 Bedford TK cab. I then using a paint program photoshopped the pic of the Beddy at the wrecker and came up with this option5 - Copy.jpg The Beddy cab has very similar dimensions to the coaster bodywork so my plan was to retain the driver / passenger floor area and steering column, remove most of the Coaster bodywork and fit the Beddy cab. What could possibly go wrong.

4. Likeschaley, steve1275, Torment, 46beddy liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    “What could possibly go wrong” should be the motto for most builds ever!

We love left field stuff here and this should fit in nicely, welcome

6. Likesalanio liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    The Toyota already had some modifications in the form of an engine swap from the original gutless 2 ltr to a GM 202 or 3.3 ltr inline 6, this had been mated to the Toyota 4 speed box via a rather agricultural looking adapter plate and sat on home made engine mounts. The welding on the mounts looked like high tensile bird droppings and would need to be fixed later. The plan was to cut away most of the bodywork only leaving a portion for the rear load area and the driver passenger floor. So down to tools galore and got myself a reciprocating saw and went mad.
    17032018 016.jpg06052018 011.jpg/ATTACH]06052018 018.jpg29032018 015.jpg29032018 023.jpg

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    06052018 020.jpg06052018 024.jpg
    After getting to a point where I was happy and the heart rate had returned to more or less normal I then cut the floor out of the Beddy cab and prepared to mount it over what was left of the Coaster.
    20180526_173739.jpg20180617_153423.jpg20180602_111821.jpg
    All of this was hard work but went pretty well except for the stupidly narrow front track of the I beam front axle which meant that the front wheels fouled on the mounting rails of the Beddy cab and effectively meant I had zero steering. Problemo number one, and it was a doozy.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    I had engaged an engineer to sign off on the build when completed, I went to him looking for a solution. after many discussions we came to the realization that a front axle swap was the way to go, He gave me directions on what to look for and mentioned that a lot of hot rodders use the Mitsubishi L300 IFS. So off I go to the wreckers and found a 1983 L300, I had a derilict old Holden station wagon and the wrecker agreed to do a swap with cash my way and deliver the L300 when he came to collect the wagon. I thought it was meant to be and was as happy as a pig in $#*@ ( MUD )
    20181110_193913 (2).jpg
    So with weeks of more hard work I managed to remove the front axles of both the Coaster and the L300 and transplant The L300 IFS under the Coaster chassis, and it looked great.
    20190514_112149.jpg
    Mind you this project had now been underway for a year, I returned to the engineer to show off my good work and he told me the IFS conversion could not be approved Apparently the directions he had given me were to make sure I select a front axle that will handle the loads that would be applied, All I had heard was L300 which he had mentioned only to demonstrate that front axle swaps were a regular happening with hot rodders Now totally dejected I removed the L300 IFS, Bolted the I beam front axle directly to the Coaster chassis and parked the project in complete disgust. :****er:
    IMG_20190529_161535.jpg
    Problemo number 2, After about another year of walking past the truck project spitting on it I again got inspired but more on that in my next post.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by alanio; 03-06-2020 at 05:10.

11. Likessteve1275, 46beddy liked this post
    Official RnS Addict Flamed Cortina's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Nice work, shame about the regs concerning the I.F.S.

13. Likesalanio liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    As mentioned the truck now sat abandoned out the back of my property shaming me every time I walked past it. To keep myself active I had the idea to resurrect the L300 as a project, I won't go into it to much here but it did in the end move me back to the truck build. For the L300 I decided I would chop it down to a mini truck or ute, The GM 3.3 ltr engine would'nt do for that so I found a 3.8 ltr V6 derived from the Buick 3800 for a good price complete with auto box. My very helpfull wrecker agreed to give me parts from his other L300 wrecks in exchange for the 3.3 ltr GM straight 6. I got a fair way into the build but my heart was never really into it.IMG_20190606_135451.jpg
    I was browsing a local social media swap and sell group and I came upon this.
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    I contacted the seller and he agreed to a straight swap for the CF Bedford front IFS in exchange for the L300 project minus the 3.8 ltr V6, Auto box and radiator. The truck build was back on, only now it would be powered by the V6 be an automatic and would roll on the CF Beddy IFS.

15. Likes46beddy liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    After cleaning up the CF Beddy IFS I have now installed it under the Coaster chassis with little modification required, The IFS was a snug fit with the chassis rails fitting inside the spring/ shock towers. Originally the CF Beddy chassis was attached to the top of the shock towers and the engine was mounted directly to the IFS cross member, In my case the TK Beddy cab will be mounted off the Coaster chassis with outrigger style mounting tags and the V6 engine and auto box will be hung under the Coaster chassis utilizing the original VR Holden engine cradle which conveniently is the same'ish width as the Coaster chassis rails. With it all mounted up I had to install 3 1/2" lowering blocks on the rear axle to level things out.
    IMG_20200511_154354.jpg
    I am quite happy with the outcome, I would have liked it a bit lower but retaining the Coaster drivers floor area means I can't channel the cab to get it lower and offset pinions would need to be custom made and if I went down that road modification to the chassis rails at the rear to provide axle clearance would also be required $$$$$$$.
    This final pic is photo shopped to include some body mods that should give me the look I am after.
    IMG_20200511_154354 - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
    Anyway this is where the build is up to now, next is install the engine and auto, the load area floor and fab the body fairings.

17. Likessteve1275, mygasser, seantoole5 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Some of my friends in Aus have commented that the TK Beddy cab is a strange choice for a COE build, I have to admit I have looked and have not been able to find another except one that looks as if it was built for some form of truck racing and many restored examples.
    I know that the American COE's are the standard choice but they have become common and expensive, The Beddy on the other hand as explained above is the opposite on both counts. I also think the Beddy has far more credibility both in the UK and here in Aus as they have a prolonged military history and were one of the mainstay makes for many weight categories and purposes in civilian use. Each to his own I guess and I do like to be an individual and my pimped out Bedford / Toyota mongrel suits me perfectly.
    That's my little expose on why I chose the TK cab but the main reason was that dimension wise it was close to perfect for the Toyota Coaster donor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information