So, I decided to join you all in the madness and spent months deciding on what to squander my cash.
Several months ago I bought a battered and much abused H code 1970 Mach 1 from Maryland in the states.
This car had used for drag racing and been off road for many years, some light and poorly repaired crash damage, it also had a grill, light, hood swap and stripe job to masquerade as a 69 Boss.
Despite all the abuse and problems it had a faded glory I just couldn’t help falling in love with, so I got a Marti report and found that the car was mostly original, excepting the grille and she’d had an engine swap (well the guys who had her had strapped in a long block core).
She now had a 351 Cleveland 2v, instead of the Windsor 2v, a 4 speed toploader (which seems to have been stolen in transit), an original 9” rear with unknown gear set and diff, 14x7 & 14x8 Slot Mags, all round drum brakes, original seats and interior and a pair of huge slapper bars attached harking back to her racing days.
The car is a curates egg, many good things and many bad.
The engine had been pulled due to a head gasket failure, and when I took off the heads, only one had a gasket . However it’s never been rebored and the rust appears to be surface only. It also had a Brinell tested 4MAB crank still showing a splash of orange paint on the counter weights from the assembly line.
The block was fully original 72 D2AE-CA block, with a top end swap to a 73 2v intake and heads (including EGR) that was latterly used in a truck.
In order to restore it to its fullest glory I’ve bought some 4v kit, 70 intake, 73 cobra jet 4v heads, that’s presently sat on a pallet in Los Angeles.
I’ve probably read every book and every website I could get too on the Cleveland now, and with the advice of George Pence of DeTomaso fame, i’m Hoping to build a fully unleashed version of the 73 Cobra Jet setup, ported and machined heads, aggressive but streetable hydraulic flat tappet cam, corrected oiling system, Holley 750 cfm 4150. Hopefully it’ll generate something north of 450hp/450ft lbs torque once finished.
Then there is the body, the drivers quarter, badly repaired with a patch and litres of bondo, trunk floor and transition pan, bodged repair job, main floor pan rotten with a minor kink at the back of the transmission tunnel, lower firewall rotted away exposing the torque boxes. Front end relatively sound, frame rails front and rear solid, Cowl oddly enough in great shape except the outer passenger cowl which had been battered at some point.
So right now I’m thinking a complete floor swap to a Dynacorn one piece, (I did consider Magnum, but their stock is very limited for ‘69/70 bodies and they Don’t do the complete floor to trunk assembly. New Firewall (one side the rot goes high enough to stop me using the readily available patch panels)
Outer cowl panels, b pillars, drivers quarter, torque boxes, 70 grille (already have the vented headlamp buckets) maybe a pillars if they reveal more rust than I can safely patch, outer rockers.
And battery support part of the inner fender.
When it comes to the trunk and hood, both have some rust, trunk lid might not be worth saving as I can get a good original from the states for very little. The hood has a huge cutout that looks like i’ll need a boss 429 sized hood to cover up, I can almost get the entire air filter through it.
It’s two months since taking hold of this old girl, I guess i’m Just about to start the fun part of the journey.