Not quite a car, but....Pics of the Joker helmet added.
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Not quite a car, but....Pics of the Joker helmet added.

I was given the opportunity to do something that I haven't done in a very long time a few weeks ago. A mate of mine has been pestering me to paint a bike helmet for him, so last week I picked it up off him. I asked him what colour he wanted it, expecting him to say multi striped graphics or something like that, as thats what most modern helmets have these days. No, he said he wanted a Welsh theme as he's from just outside Cardiff. mmmm, maybe it was time to do a mural or two.........

He had no idea of what he wanted, or what colour, he just said "I'll leave it up to you"........................ SUCKER !!!!

Anyway, here's a few pics of what I've done so far. I'm actually in the middle of waiting for the lacquer to dry, whilst I'm typing this, so's I can give it another coat.

This is how the helmet was, your typical SHOEI.

I flatted it down & gave it a coat of epoxy primer, followed by some hi-build & then flatted down for the base colour.

It was then sprayed a base white, followed by a pearl white, that changes colour to silvers & golds as the flip tone changes

The bottom was then painted a pearl green with an 1/8th inch pinstripe around it. On top of this I then faded in some "scales" to give it detail

The scales...

That was then followed by masking out a dragon, here's a pic of it having been cut out & in base silver. I thought it was trick to have the Dragon holding a Welsh flag . The paints are all candy colours, being reds & oranges

Here's the finished thing

At that point I was going to just lacquer it & call it job done, but then I got to thinking,.......what if the front had a dragons skull on it??? That'd be cool........

So, I masked it up to look as if a dragon was wearing the helmet.....

That was then given a silver base & some basic datum points added in a light coat of black. The area around the eyes was then picked out & detailed.

I the proceeded to put all of the scales & high & low lights on in black

Rather than just having a head full of scales I added some bone structure down the centre.

That was then followed by various candy colours to bring it all to life

I'd decided to make the dragon lookas if he had a big grin on his face as if he were really enjoying screwing the nuts off "his" bike. I figured that it'd look good if his tongue was "drooling" around the side of the helmet. So I then masked that ready to be cut out.

Cutting out the details

Having sprayed the open mouth black, I added some red, orange & purple candies to it to give it some feeling.

The tongue was next up to be sprayed

Then the teeth were unmasked & painted various "dirty" shades with cracks on them

Here's the teeth & tongue unmasked

The helmet had vents on the front of it, so I painted them in red, orange & purple candies to look like eyes

here's a couple of pics as it was this morning prior to being lacquered

I put a drop shadow under the tongue, so that it gives it a 3D effect of being raised above the helmet

Well, another coat of lacquer & it's done. I'll leave it for a while to cure fully & then flat & buff it up. Once it's done I'll post up the end results. All in all it was like being back in the '70's again, as I've not done anything like this for a very long time, but must admit it was great fun. Hope you like it

cheers....Nige
    Last edited by evilzee28; 25-11-2011 at 16:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    brilliant nice eye for detail
    thanks for posting
    dont look to much or you will say if i added etc etc
    then it will look cluttered
    Quote Originally Posted by evilzee28 View Post
    I was given the opportunity to do something that I haven't done in a very long time a few weeks ago. A mate of mine has been pestering me to paint a bike helmet for him, so last week I picked it up off him. I asked him what colour he wanted it, expecting him to say multi striped graphics or something like that, as thats what most modern helmets have these days. No, he said he wanted a Welsh theme as he's from just outside Cardiff. mmmm, maybe it was time to do a mural or two.........

He had no idea of what he wanted, or what colour, he just said "I'll leave it up to you"........................ SUCKER !!!!

Anyway, here's a few pics of what I've done so far. I'm actually in the middle of waiting for the lacquer to dry, whilst I'm typing this, so's I can give it another coat.

This is how the helmet was, your typical SHOEI.

I flatted it down & gave it a coat of epoxy primer, followed by some hi-build & then flatted down for the base colour.

It was then sprayed a base white, followed by a pearl white, that changes colour to silvers & golds as the flip tone changes

The bottom was then painted a pearl green with an 1/8th inch pinstripe around it. On top of this I then faded in some "scales" to give it detail

The scales...

That was then followed by masking out a dragon, here's a pic of it having been cut out & in base silver. I thought it was trick to have the Dragon holding a Welsh flag . The paints are all candy colours, being reds & oranges

Here's the finished thing

At that point I was going to just lacquer it & call it job done, but then I got to thinking,.......what if the front had a dragons skull on it??? That'd be cool........

So, I masked it up to look as if a dragon was wearing the helmet.....

That was then given a silver base & some basic datum points added in a light coat of black. The area around the eyes was then picked out & detailed.

I the proceeded to put all of the scales & high & low lights on in black

Rather than just having a head full of scales I added some bone structure down the centre.

That was then followed by various candy colours to bring it all to life

I'd decided to make the dragon lookas if he had a big grin on his face as if he were really enjoying screwing the nuts off "his" bike. I figured that it'd look good if his tongue was "drooling" around the side of the helmet. So I then masked that ready to be cut out.

Cutting out the details

Having sprayed the open mouth black, I added some red, orange & purple candies to it to give it some feeling.

The tongue was next up to be sprayed

Then the teeth were unmasked & painted various "dirty" shades with cracks on them

Here's the teeth & tongue unmasked

The helmet had vents on the front of it, so I painted them in red, orange & purple candies to look like eyes

here's a couple of pics as it was this morning prior to being lacquered

I put a drop shadow under the tongue, so that it gives it a 3D effect of being raised above the helmet

Well, another coat of lacquer & it's done. I'll leave it for a while to cure fully & then flat & buff it up. Once it's done I'll post up the end results. All in all it was like being back in the '70's again, as I've not done anything like this for a very long time, but must admit it was great fun. Hope you like it

cheers....Nige

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhouse View Post
    brilliant nice eye for detail
    thanks for posting
    dont look to much or you will say if i added etc etc
    then it will look cluttered
    i,m glade you reposted the whole lot again or we may not have known who you wer talking to nice lid by the way
    if you cant take a joke dont be one !

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, good skills
    Everything is an interference fit. I interfere with it till it fits!!

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful detail work there, that is one nice skid lid

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ffantastig

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie ROFORD1966's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks cool mate

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated. Finally got the lacquer on it yesterday & it came out really sweet, making the candy colours really pop. I'll put a few pics up of it as soon as I've cut it all back

cheers...Nige

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    as promised here's some pics of the finished lacquered & polished helmet.

cheers....Nige

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic Nige, it's great when someone says do what you want isn't it and you've really worked some magic there. I'll have to keep an eye out for him on the road, can't really miss it. Has he had it back yet and what did he think ? All the best Mark
    the difficult takes time, the impossible takes a little longer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information