Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Official RnS Addict insanityvans's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phantom Morris Woodie

I'm hoping that telling my story and putting my car on here will help me keep...or rather, regain.....my enthusasm for it. Peer pressure is what I'm looking for!
    I had a serious breakdown a few years ago and, after coming out of it, it was suggested to me that I needed a hobby, something to wind down for an hour or two after work but that had no timetable. So, having been into yanks and custom cars since 1976, I bought a Morris with the idea of just uprating the brakes and putting in a 2 litr Pinto. I thought it was a fairly unusual car...until i got a phone call from Kings Lynn cruisers and there was one there with a 2 litre engine in it!! I wanted to be different and be sure that if/when i took it to runs, it wouyld be the only one l;ike it there! So, ideas came to me as I looked at the car and I thought it was like a baby 1950 Ford/Mercury woodie. Apart from the fact that it isn't a woodie and has 4 doors!! As I've always hankered after a woodie, being a bit of a surfer in my youth, Adrian Wells came into the scene at this time and sold me the idea of doing the work I needed. The car was going to come back to me as a running and drivable motor to MOT standard with the frame for the wood and I would do the rest, ie wood and interior and worry about the paint then. Long story short, the bloke was a liar and thief and a CCJ later, he owed me £5k!!! I hated the car for a long time after that!!
    So...up to date, someone else did sopme work for me on the car and it is drivable and running.....but that is all! So I am going to do the work myself. Following are pictures of what inspired the idea and what work has been done so far. I will then post as I do bits and pieces. 1st job will be to repair the dents from reversing into my work bench when the inhibitor switch I wanted fitted, wasn't!! Nearly smashed my brothers legs to pieces!!
    Thanks to Gary, Trev and others for encouragement, but especially to my wife who keeps telling me, 'You've got plenty of time, why don't you get in the garage and do some work on your car' !!!! One in a million!

First picture is as it was when I got it.
    [img]http://imagehosting.rodsnsods.co.uk/14804c656d12350ae.jpg
    [/img]

Along with the mice, this is the sort of thing I found!

And this!!

This is what inspired me!! A Hot Wheels car!! And a few pictures of 1950 Woodies from the USA! Notice the sloping B pillar.

This is what a real 1950 Ford woodie looks like with the wood off.

This roughly where it is now. Framework done...ish! There is not a straight line on it. The new sills AW was paid to put on are curved and dont follow the cars lines or meet the front wings!! Has widened steel wheels on now. You can see the slanted B pillar and 2 doors now.

The following pictures are some of the work that has been done.
    Floor cut out.

Engine in place.

Chassis and floor strengthening

Doors off and rear panel cut out.

Front door lengthened. I didn't want to just weld the rear doors shut. It had to be done properly. I also wanted wood on the front doors, not like the Morris 1000 traveller with steel doors.

Ford Capri (I think) back axle fitted.

Ford front suspension and discs fitted.

Floor fitted.

Some repairs done

Master cylinder under the floor. Has now been changed for twin Wilwood cylinders.

Pictures of the dent caused when I blipped the throttle and it was in reverse!! My brother had just that second stepped away from the back of the car because of the exhaust fumes. I really don't want to think about what might have happened.

These are the most recent pictures of the car. Feel free to post abuse if you don't see any progress!!
    Notice fat b'stard by the car....well, I've lost 2 stone since then!!

Rover V8 fitted and running. The bulkhead had to be recut and jigged...couldn't take rocker covers off!! Radiator is a Mazda with twin elec fans, bought at Old Warden last year for £10!!
    Creator of fine sawdust from solid wood!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Not sure why first picture won't show. But here is what it looked like when Gary and I picked it up.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice project
    you cant be that far of from finishing it can you.all the major stuffs done

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forgetting all the nastiness, lets just concentrate on the car, what is it exactly?.Like the idea you have for it, the stretched doors look cool as fu*k and it's got a V8 in it.Alot of people would say that's one step away from mot, though they may want to repaint it satin black! Every part you do from here on in is going to make a difference and to be fair it is the cleaner end of the project to,no laying on your back scraping off under-seal. I find if I need a quick fix of enthusiasm just fire it up and rev it a few times until you get told to shut up. Works for me every time, other than coming on here of course.Good luck it's going to look really cool
    If it bleeds, we can kill it.http://www.supermotors.net/21407

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Thanks Paddy....the nastiness was really just to get it off my chest and explain why I lost enthusiasm! So, no more of that...onward and upward as they say!!
    hi nobody....well, seems like alot of work to me, but Paddy is right, it is the 'cleaner' part of the job. I have to change the rubber brake hoses as they are causing brake fluid condensation and the frame needs a LOT of work to geet it straight and symetrical for the wood. The front door I'm not sure about yet. I'm considering a whole wooden door using just the window frame but not sure how that would look along side the body wood.
    I''m going to start at the back where I have (once I've fixed the dent!!) good lines to work to. There are the tailgate and the spare wheel hatch and I can 'simply' make wooden frames to replace the originals. That will be abig step forward and I'll see progress which will be important for me.
    Means less time on here though!!!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Couple more pictures for comparison.
    Paddy, it's a 1959 Morris Oxford Traveller, although when it is done, it will be a very rare Morris Suffolk Traveller (!!)

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think that will be cool as when yer done and a one off. theres a guy on nsra who bought a 36? hudson terraplane woody that i was after on ebay. if yer ever feelin a bit down you should maybe visit him and check it out that will gee you up again........and if yer anythin like me you will keep goin just to have the satisfaction of overcomin earlier setbacks......best of luck mate

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrquickwhip View Post
    i think that will be cool as when yer done and a one off. theres a guy on nsra who bought a 36? hudson terraplane woody that i was after on ebay. if yer ever feelin a bit down you should maybe visit him and check it out that will gee you up again........and if yer anythin like me you will keep goin just to have the satisfaction of overcomin earlier setbacks......best of luck mate
    Cheers mate. Are you into woodies? The guy who bought the Hudson is Nick Devos and he has already started work on it!! He took it to the Supernats at Old Warden and has joined the Woodie Car Club UK!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A nice unique project there. I don't think I've seen an other one of those, either stock or custom. You've got the proportions of the two door stretch just right in my opinion.
    Last edited by jez r; 14-08-2010 at 09:25. Reason: speiign

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mate well done on your work so far "what a crackin wee ride when ur done " Keep up the photos ,,,,Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information