PIck up chassis work.. rear engined though!
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

PIck up chassis work.. rear engined though!

Hi All, Just a quick peek at what has me scratching my head at the moment.

'54 VW pick up which has had ist chassis replaced with box by the previous owner. Would have been fine, except he didnt seem to know how to measure.....

So, captain Makita comes out to play, and this is the result...

So, first off, I had to get it in position to be able to work all round it:

3 days worth of floor painting had to take place first!

So, this is what I had to start with. Solidly welded in thick wall box section and a type 3 IRS and torsion tube.. slightly to the right! :?

So, up in the air it went

The yellow line shows where the original chassis ends. The original firewall was dropped back in place temporarily to make sure the rails were in the correct place in relation to the load bed carrier rails and the sides before bracing.

No going back now!

At the front, the cab had taken a nose down stance, when I sliced through the rails at the front, this rectified itself a bit with a TUNK! The gaps at the front of the side gates are a lot better now!

So, before doing the final cuts to the rails, the top hats etc were sliced through to allow the chassis to drop down on the jscks so it would not grab the cutting disc as it sliced the last part

Its clear!!!

Not a sight you see every day... or would want to!!

The old next to the new Musclebus Auto chassis.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Took ages to get all of this off decently:

Trimmed the last of the box section off the fronts, still needs trimming to get to something I can weld to, but its a lot better without the box sticking in the way:

Need to work on a fair bit of the inner skins behind the rail sections here too, they have rusted up in to the treasure chest area a bit, so that is a bit of fun to look forward to! Note the extra flexi mount thats been added...

Cleaned up the remains of the rear rails too, there were 3 layers of metal here, so it took ages to get back to the OG rails. Cut off the 5mm plate that the box section cradle had been welded to as well, looks like I will have to carefully wash out the original 'pipe' cradle from the chassis rail each side and insert a new piece, and sleeve it to the part I have, as there is nothing sticking out to be able to weld to.

The original cradle is a couple of inches short from where it had been cut out, the interesting thing is that this had been welded to repair it years ago, the bottom half of the pipe had been replaced all down one side. This is going back in once its been stripped,cleaned and repaired.

I have a section from another cradle that is going to be used to repair some other frame horns, but it has the tube going under the horns still (Thanks Deano!) so I'm hoping to use sections from this to be able to repair my pipe and make it original specs again. Not sure if the curve will match, but I'll get it as close as I can, then sleeve it in to the original pipe.

After all that grinding, I tasted of circa 2003 box section! Stripped the seat out of the cab too, lots and lots of lovely blue in there! Lots of patches in and around the cab, in front of the beam on the chassis and floors too, this truck has had one monster of a life for Scandinavia, no chance of an easy life resting in a barn or woods for this one, It seems to have been used almost continuously until 2002, when it was still on the road in Norway!

And to finish off, an odd angle shot. Took a while to clean up the inner sills too! What with the easiest access to the bus being in between the trestles under the engine lid, I am aching today!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoyinh playing with my 1956 spot welder, really useful tool!

Spent a while measuring and fiddling....

Camping gaz bottle was conveniently the same diameter as the torsion tube! The old tube is in such a mess, I think it must have been used as a salt marsh sinking device or something! Took hours grinding plate after plate off this:

Stuck the '53 on the ramp to be able to take some measurements off it, as the chassis around the tube was toast, so had to cut back to bare tube, meaning it could rotate in the chassis, so need a datum point to work from, cool photo of the shed:

Trial fit of the suspension in the chassis, loads more measuring left, got to trim the front and fix some tools so I can get it in at some point!

Getting someplace now, taking a while for the adjustments and fitting as nothing seems to line up on the original truck, the old chassis seems to have pulled stuff aaround a bit, so gradually sorting all that, and measuring everything twice! I'll let the photos do the talking.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's SOME work there

Official RnS Addict bigyellataxi's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Fueled by Jim and Luckies.
    Still doing all the shit I used to ;-)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information