Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: pop build

I'm a grown up member now ! scottrod's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

pop build

well here we go then this is going to be the build of the '54 103e that i bought to "just" mot and use on the odd weekend and a show here and there (both would need to be close to home)
    i picked this up from newcastle about 330 miles away from home (thanks tim) with all the aquaplane gear either bolted to the engine or in the car
    back home set about getting it running sorting carbs out (not very well piston slap that i was told about and a weep from the head)ect,ect
    got it mot'd drove it home (pulled very well)and thats where it has sat for three months tax'd insured and mot'd i've now decided to turn it into an everydayer for the mrs so gonna chuck a 1200 pre-crossflow and four speed in it hc viva front suspension narrowed to sute and a 105e axle out back on the transverse leaf with ladder bars
    i've given myself two months and a buget of £700 so lets see how far over we go
    total cost so far £125 that engine/box/prop/back axle and front suspension and were on the end of week one

as i got it

and after the first weekend blitz thanks again tim and kerry

ttfn scotty
    Last edited by scottrod; 24-01-2011 at 08:48.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    here's the lump that came out aquaplane superhead inlet and exhaust H2 su's front mech tac drive tappet chest this thing has got half inch of valve lift and rev'd super fast i was shocked but i knew with my right foot i'd kill it
    i've had a bit of a read up and this should make in the regon off 55 horse (without the piston slap and weeking head)not bad for a standard bore 1172 side valve

it's good to dream but better to live in the real world i'd rather keep the bonnet shut and drive it than be broke down with the bonnet up!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    well here we go week 2 spent another £125 so thats only £250 total out of my £700 budget

now i am usualy the unluckyest guy in the world when it comes to cars bolts shear bits never fit or i just cant find the bit i'm after well myself and tim (sorry about the finger) went to collect the £50 1200 pre crossflow thats going in the pop and when i got it home and jet washed it off look what it was under all the grease and dirt

its a 120E 1500 gt engine and matching box

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    heres the updates on the only work carried out so far i really need the engine and box in (that'll be the weekend coming) to sort out the length of the ladder bars but i got the transverse spring perches made and mouted there about 2 3/8" lower than stock to bring the back down a bit and in the last picture i've mocked up the bat wing not to sure of the angle yet need to get the gear box cross member in

well thats where i am with it more on the weekend ready for my weekly photo updat on the monday

and if anybodys got a twin choke inlet for a pre crossflow please contact me

cheers till next time scotty

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    looking good im just about to make some transverse spring perches my self for my project could ypu let me know the distance they are apart from each other on the stock axle you took off. i forgot to measure the ones on the axle i removed and have since sold the thing..
    ian

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    120E is 1500 standard as well, the engine number wil identify where it was originally fitted plus the number under the head will tell whether it is a GT . Does the head have 2 takeoffs on the inlet side at the front ie one sender and one water pipe??

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sqweaka View Post
    looking good im just about to make some transverse spring perches my self for my project could ypu let me know the distance they are apart from each other on the stock axle you took off. i forgot to measure the ones on the axle i removed and have since sold the thing..
    ian
    hi mate 960mm apart on the standard axle

cheers buddy

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    120E is 1500 standard as well, the engine number wil identify where it was originally fitted plus the number under the head will tell whether it is a GT . Does the head have 2 takeoffs on the inlet side at the front ie one sender and one water pipe??
    soke direct to the mk1 owners club 120E casting number were only used on GT and they were the graded blocks that could go on to lotus (but this one cant be as lotus graded block as they had all the casting numbers ground off and the new number was stamped in) 122E was the generic casting numbers for all varriants of this engine
    just going by what the owners club have told me today

cheers scotty

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi ian have you got acsses to auto cad if you have i'll email you the drawings i've done of the spring perches

cheers scotty

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi kapri
    i've looked on line a bit about engine numbers and i'm now not so sure the cortina mk1 club man was completely right finding loads of conflicting data i'm still well chuffed it's a 1500 at least i've got a 5 bearing crank

i'm allways one to stand corrected (if it was mini's i'd know all about it) you think your doing the right thing speaking direct to the owners club

cheers scotty

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information