The welding wire arrived in the post and I was able to spend a couple of hours grovelling under the car on the dusty garage floor.... I was even able to get some welding done. The old XJ-S silencers and exhaust pipes have been re used. The silencers can be removed and replaced by straight pipes if I have the need for V12 sound! The final job is to make suitable mounting brackets for the system.
Well I had a good 6 hours in the garage today....and despite lots of work there is very little progress...
I wanted to run the throttle cable a bit more neatly and discovered it didn't open the carbs. I did some checking and found the centre carb on passenger side had a seized solid butterfly shaft, removed ram pipes to gently tap the butterflies. No way, so off it had to come. Fortunately with WD40, care, and persuasion - it eventually came free. Then put it all back together (2hr) and alter throttle cable run(15min). Decided to check motorbikecharge battery and fire up....runs on 3 out of 4. Plug out, clean, put back. Still doesn't fire.Swap plugs to check coil packs. Still same dead plug. Clean it and cook it on gas stove...replace still dead. Search old plugs stock...find a semi suitable new plug put it in and now back on all 4 (1.1/2 hours).
Back to BGT Need to make a new face cover for rev counter/Speedo housing (I did make one years ago but I think it blew away in the house move saga!). Cut out cardboard template. Need to drop steering column, need to take out dashboard to properly attach steering column as I had only put it temporarily in prior to move, find suitable size perspex offcut (2 hours). Repair drawer as too many bits had overloaded the cheapo 35 year old MDF unit.(30min)......
Sounds like some of my days - by the time you've followed a few tangents it's hard to even remember where you started. It's all progress though...
Yes Phil, spent a week sorting out my unit. Trouble is cant find anything now ----------
Lots of gardening done....and a tiny bit more on the BGT. I have moved the fuel pump so that I can run the fuel lines through the tunnel and mount the battery isolator on the existing bracket. I will be boxing it off as well.
I have made a shield for the fuel lines, then a box to isolate the fuel pump, after that a hole in the rear panel, so the battery isolator can be switched from behind the seat. Lots of tooo-ing and frooo-ing!
There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)