more progress pics, here`s the rusted out hinge area cut out ready for new metal , same for the other side.
and here is one of the repair sections ready to be welded in
welded in with a skim of filler
love the bonnet where did you get scoop from
flea bay scoop, but i regretted buying it cos it took loads of work to get it straight, should have bought a decent one to start with, but we all make that mistake sometimes .
few more pics... decided to blank off the heater box grill on the scuttle seeing as the car hasn`t had a heater for years anyway, and it cleans up that area really well to.
also wanted to clean up the slam panel as it`s so ugly on a capri, so danny came up with this panel, it`s just tacked in here ready for final welding.
I like this car a lot and it's interesting to see the way it's evolved since the flared arches look in the 80s to the way it is now. I was surprised to see that you're re-building/restoring it again but then I've just realised it's 10 years (ish) since the latest guise came out.
Am I right in thinking that you've always owned the Capri? There can't be many "custom" cars in the UK that have been in the same hands for such a period of time.
Hi, mate, your right i`ve owned this car a long time! over 25 years!! still love it though, and right again about the ten years or so since i did anything to it., but this is deffo the last time! i still have the rendering you did for me just after the last paint job and i might need a new one as it does look different now. It was originally customised with spoilers etc about 1977 , this was before i owned it, and it featured in a couple of mags. Iabsolutely loved this car, and built a capri of my own as a poorer copy. When the chance came for me to buy this capri in 1980 in a very wrecked state, i jumped at it , and the rest as they say is history. I`ve often wondered myself how many rods/customs have had the same owner for many years like i have, maybe i`ll post that that quetion in the chat forum. See you at the Nags!
more progress.. another area i wanted to clean up was the horrible gap on capris between the wing and the inner arch , so here you can see the early stages of a steel infill panel mocked in place, this will also stiffen the front end a bit
more pics, decided to seam weld the front wings/valance as it had taken a few knocks over the years and was starting to rust, not only to smooth things out but to add a bit more stiffness, so....
another smoothing/strenghtening job was to remove the ugly lip which runs the length of the bulkhead/scuttle, so this is the start of said job....
more pics..i wanted to clean up the bit where the heater box once lived , so here is the early stage of a template in card, which will be made in steel when we are happy with the shape..
transfered to steel, with a swage in to match the one on the original bulkhead, still some work to do but getting there.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)