Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Project "Imminent Divorce" pop.

Ok where to start, well I have been asking some daft questions throughout the forum so I thought it would be a good idea to let you see what all the questions were about.

I bought a Pop shell and chassis off here as I kept looking at my old one and wished I had never sold it. When I collected it, it was a bit on the rusty side to say the least. So first thing to do is tackle the rot and grot. I have had the car around a month but due to work I haven't had a chance to get on with it, but I had some time this week so I started cutting, grinding and making up new panels.

As was when I got her home.

Plenty of rot and grot to sort out.

So I got the car (in the loosest terms) in the garage, and thought I may as well start at the back and work forward. So I cut off the rear valance and tacked in some fresh steel, I haven't trimmed it off yet as I'm not sure how low I am going to take it, and I have to make up a rolled valance to fit as well.

I went on a small road trip and picked up the bonnet and a grill shell (which needs repairs) and then I mocked them up on the body to see if they fit.

Nice Bonnet Mascot!

With the condition of the B pillars I cut out the grot made up a new panel, this was more difficult than I anticipated as the bends and curves in the body are so close to each other I had to make it out of three pieces.

The A pillars weren't much better, so the grot was cut out and fresh steel tacked in place, but this is where I am up to today, had to stop due to a touch of arc eye bloody welding mask.

I should be pretty good at this metal working lark and welding by the time I am finished

Cheers,

Stu.
    Last edited by StueyT; 17-03-2012 at 15:37.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Banned
    BRITAINS FASTEST STREET LEGAL VAN HEAD QUARTERS
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The "mole grips motif" on your bonnet reminds me that rover should have used them instead of a badge!

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just seen the pics of your pop it looks like the identical twin of mine whats your plan for it apart from much welding.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mick,

Firstly get all the welding done, which could take years looking at how much there is I've got another chassis coming with ha viva front and 3.0 Capri rear end, so either the body will get grafted across or I'll strip that chassis and use the bits on the one under the car. Not sure on engine yet, I have a choice of 1600 pinto or RV8, It'll be running 10 x 15's rear and be fenderless. I'm not sure whether to leave the wheels exposed or tub it and pinch the chassis to move the wheels inside a touch.

Cheers,

Stu.

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you are getting well organised with it you should have plenty of parts to scavenge at with the other chassis. Is it road legal to go fenderless, RV 8 sounds interesting good luck mate

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it road legal to go fenderless..............god no, but I will probable make up a set of fenders (loose terms) just for the legality side of things and keep them in the boot unless it rains. I haven't seen anyone get pulled for running fenderless from a show on an organised cruies, but there is always a first time.

Cheers,

Stu.

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If/when you take the body off the chassis brace it well. A few years ago I had a 1948 Anglia body (same as a Pop) & it had the strength of chewing gum when the rivets were drilled out to lift it off. I'd use 1" angle iron welded between the A & B posts across the door apperatures, then from A to opposite B post inside the car, then anywhere else you can think of!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have noticed, that they flex a bit, before the rust repairs were started it wallowed everywhere, it's not quite as bad now, but should be stronger when the wheel tubs are sorted out. I will definitely take that into account if/when I remove the body.

Cheers,

Stu.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with English Impala I would brace the car up. Good luck with the project. Andy

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andy,

Thanks very much, I'm really hoping I get the time to complete this one as others had to get moved on due to moving round the country with work.

Cheers,

Stu.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information