Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: project prefect

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi there , finally started on the car , i removed the old front end and stripped the viva axle , i removed 5inch and welded it back together with my new birthday pressie . I now need to remove the rear axle so i can set the ride height,

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by splitty66 View Post
    hi there, picked up the axle this morning , after a four and a half hour round trip i squeezed it in the garage and tried on the princess 4 pots , they bolted straight on , just got to take out the spacers to convert from vented to solid , the guy i bought the axle from showed me what he had in the garage, its an old rod that used to be called MOOM SHINE, it used to have a flip up van body, any one remember it ?, i can t find any photos any where, it looks a bit of a wreck now, he s making a pick up out of it. Bye Bye............
    hi you say the guy is cuting moonshine into a pickup ,is he on rods and sods ,love to see some pics as i built the van way back then

sham he has to cut it

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi keith, good look with the build , shame about the prefect front end, I personaly like them as they look like a mini pilot.
    I`ll watch on this build post more pics as you progress.
    Cheers Dave (ex Bratfud lad)

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi 1961desoto, not sure if he is on this site, the body had already been cut up into a cab with what looks like a moggy cab back, the glass wind screen was cracked a lot and all the filler on the front wings was flaking off, it also had a jag back axle on it. Cheers for now....................

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by splitty66 View Post
    hi 1961desoto, not sure if he is on this site, the body had already been cut up into a cab with what looks like a moggy cab back, the glass wind screen was cracked a lot and all the filler on the front wings was flaking off, it also had a jag back axle on it. Cheers for now....................
    thanks mate ho well be good to see it back on yhe road again ////good luck with your car .

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi, i got the son in law to remove all the rear end (he wants to help), i m using a sierra back axle with locost wish bones and uprights, im copying COSSIE POPs idea (loosley), he s on the other channel. Im toying with the idea of a subframe , fitting all the parts in one unit and being held in place with 6 bolts with poly bushes , this will allow for easy fitting and any repairs to be done, has any one got any thoughts about this idea?. More pictures as and when. see ya...............

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I'm using a Sierra diff on my build it took quite a lot of design work to make sure all the rear suspension geometry works with the the correct angles throughout the whole suspension travel. Obviously I don't know you're skill level I feel Cossie Pop made life difficult for himself initially and he has a mate who does his machining, if you can machine stuff then no problem but if you can't you may find it either expensive to get done or not possible. Are you gong to narrow the rear end? if you aren't then it probably would be better if you are a novice at car building or welding to see if the complete rear subfame from the sierra could be made to fit, then all the geometry would be ok. But if you were going to narrow it then you would have to start from scratch, You would probably be better off fitting a Volvo axle on a four link with watts linkage much simpler to set up and easily strong enough for the v6.
    However if you proceed with the build as started best of luck with it and I will be watching your progress I have a soft spot for the prefect myself as I built and owned one for 26 years.

John
    My Pop Build thread https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...op-build-32191
    My 55 Chevy Resto https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/tri...ed-today-67186
    Anyone can drive a fast car, not everyone can drive a car fast!!!!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi
    ive put a sierra diff in a mini befor.
    made the hub carriers and then made custom A arms to suit.
    for the driveshafts as it was only running a rover on the street, i cut them,sleeved inside,then sleeved on the outside.
    seriously cheaper than having new ones made.

had a look a couple of weeks back ,at one in a pop and he had got something seriously wrong as camber was excessive and one wheel was pointing away from the car

good luck and keep the pics coming
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Englishtin's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should consider and mx5 rear axle and subframe.....na will be fine but nb geometry is better, (na-mk1, nb mk2.)

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi ,thanks for all your thoughts , i suppose what i am really trying to emulate is the locost idea and geometry, yes the drive shafts will need shortening as will the top and bottom a arms, the top arms have some adjustability for camber , there is also adjustability for toe in or out. Thanks............

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information