Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  125
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Official RnS Addict chop top mk2's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

project vw fassty

here we go with another build, been itching to get back to fabricating stuff.

with the cortina now on hold till the new year i wanted to get parts collected for the next build. the new project is a 1972 vw fastback with a 67 front end welded on ( the earlier cars do look way better ). like the cortina i have had it for about 10 years and in that time i have done all the repairs to the body so its rust free. always liked the idea of putting a v8 in the front of one of these so thats the route i am going.
    heres a pic of how it looks at the moment.

heres the plans for the car.

new redisigned chassis made from 100x50 box section which will be lasor cut the same way as the cortina chassis.

along with the chassis i will also be using xj40 running gear as well ( same as the cortina ) but with a redesigned front cross member. i will be running 8x18" front wheels with 215x35x18 tyres and rear wheels 10x20" with 265x30x20tyres.

i am using this build to demonstrate how universal this chassis is as im hoping to be able to offer the chassis to some of you guys . as well as the chassis there will also be a redesigned front cross member to take the xj40 wishbones, mounting plates for the diff to this chassis and a load more parts which as the build progresses i will develop.

i have put a lot of time and effort into these parts with my main goal to be able to make a fully custom build achievable at home in your own garage.

all the parts i have drawn up are going to the laser cutters on wednesday so wont be long now before i can start welding .

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Grown up? Never!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!
    I’d love a square back with a 20v in the back seat area, but I like the way you are thinking.

Chaley
    And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

Rods n sods junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like another great build chop top.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    This will be a awesome project.
    The early front end is so much nicer.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    cheers guys,

i was going to go mid mounted subaru power but i thought it would be the perfect chance to plug the chassis.

Official RnS Addict Neil Davies's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting concept! Should work well, but how about a VR6 in the front, driving the rear wheels? Or if you are going V8, the Audi 4.2? Keeping it in the family!
    2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. [email protected] on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
    2276cc, 48IDAs, race car. [email protected] on race fuel and slicks. April 2005!

Official RnS Addict Flamed Cortina's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    I like the sound of this. How are you going to cool the mill, without ruining the pretty early front sheet metal?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have been toying with what engine to use and i think im going to go the lexus 4 litre v8 route. looked into it a bit last night and it looks like there pretty easy to connect up but i want a manual box. after a few hours of googling this morning i have found out you can buy an adaptor to mount a mazda rx8 6 speed box to the lexus lump so i think thats the route i will be going.
    my goal with this build is to keep it looking like a type 3 even down to the stance ( all be it slammed ) tucked front wheels and all. just had a measure up today and it looks like im going to be able to make the front look like it has a narrowed beam but on wishbones as the overall look is very important.so the body will be one colour and all the bumpers will stay, even the chrome trim will stay put.
    one of the big things about this build will be the fact that it will be going for an iva test so all the parts i develop over the build will be jiged up and will be available for others to use.we will also then know what is real and what is fiction about the test. once the car is built using the iva manual and tested i will then be in a much better place to publish the results.

moor soon

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Fantastic. If the build is going to be anywhere near as good as the 'Tina then it really is going to be something special!
    Watching with interest.
    Stiffspeed on Facebook
    Stiffspeed.Tumblr
    We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
    for what could be, the darkest age...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    cheers stiff,

this build wont be as manic as the tina, built alot of stuff into the tina that does not work hence the reasone im still trying to iron out all the bugs but hey its all a massive learning curve so onwards and upwards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information