Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  31
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Reliant Buggy

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    its nice to see a build where you dont have one eye on the law/BIVA.....

The Oddlot Drag Racing Team...havin fun is usual
    57 chevy wagon.
    540cui altered.
    your not drunk enough if you can lie on the floor without holding on..

2. Likes29stude liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the opportunity to take parts of an old Subaru Justy, before it got weighed in. Managed to salvage the steering column and wiring loom.

Column: which I've shortened and also rotated steering lock 90 degrees (so that ignition switch now sits directly below steering wheel.

Loom.

shortened column, mounted with 2 nylon hydraulic pipe clamps.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22mm-PIEF...8AAOSwS9BdVnG7

Due to small size of car and fact that I've used original Reliant Rialto pedal box, there is limited space for steering linkages etc. In order to get past pedal box I've used a VW camper bevel box, which is then linked to a VW camper steering box.

I've taken the slightly unusal step of coverting the Pop front axle from original crossing steering to side steering. Although a backward change, I did this for 2 main reasons
    Firstly: Steering Cross link rod would have fouled on Reliant sump and secondly: side steering has an archaic look to it which I think more befits the build.

Gav.
    Last edited by 29stude; 28-03-2020 at 10:31.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    DASHBOARD.

Quite a few years ago (at the now defunct NASC swapmeet), I picked up a couple of old speakers originally used in drive movie theatres. As most are probably aware, these were designed to hang over the car door whilst you sat watching your film and eating hamburgers. Figured that this was just the thing to break up the small expanse of flat dashboard.

After taking it a part and removing remains of the old speaker, I discovered that it was perfect size to mount a gauge from behind.

Found a nice Smiths multigauge on Ebay. (think its Austin Cambridge?). It has mechanical oil pressure gauge, which I can easily connect to port on engine block. The fuel and temp gauge are both electrical, and so I should hopefully be able to source a couple of compatible senders.

Added a few warning lights to left hand side of gauge pod. (Hopefully cover wiring in next instalment!).

Thanks for looking. Gav
    Last edited by 29stude; 28-03-2020 at 10:19.

6. Likessteve1275, Torment, Dodgy liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks fun!

You may find it a bit high geared off road, if so a bedford Rascal/Susuki Carry 5:1 axle is pretty well unbreakable and will fit, you could then use larger wheels/tyres for ground clearance and a more balanced look.

I have one in Rugged Robin (link in my sig) and it works perfectly.

The reliant axle will fetch £100-150 ish which should buy a Bedford one.
    Last edited by 28Chevy; 28-03-2020 at 13:15.
    Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!

My Chevy thread: https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/sho...y-coach-403745
    Rugged Robin 2/3rd track: https://www.facebook.com/Rugged.Robin.tracked/

9. Likes29stude liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having another look at the size of your wheels, I would say you will only be able to use 1st gear with a lot of clutch slipping, which was how Rugged was before I swapped axles.

The half shafts were bending enough for the drums to wear into the top of the backplates, which may happen with those heavier wheels.

With the Bedford axle I can use all four gears and top speed about 55 ish, and 1st gear is crawler.

Maybe best to change before the reliant one gives up so can't be sold.

11. Likes29stude liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget you have two types of Reliant axles with early Supervan style using tall 13" crossplies and later go to 10" rims. Gearing is lower on the earlier versions but I've never looked to find out the ratio .With early engine output I'd guess it would hav eto be at least 4:1 if not lower . Check out Fifers Reliant page on the 'net.

My trike weighs in at 280kg and I'm using a later 10"wheel style axle with 6x15 rims. In my case this actually makes 1st usable as it is now geared to 5 mph/1000rpm. 2nd is 10mph , 3rd 15 and top 20mph. Top is really a cruiser gear the other 3 are where it all happens. Revs to 8k in 3 gears if I want but normally keep it to 7 .

13. Likes29stude liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 28Chevy View Post
    Having another look at the size of your wheels, I would say you will only be able to use 1st gear with a lot of clutch slipping, which was how Rugged was before I swapped axles.

The half shafts were bending enough for the drums to wear into the top of the backplates, which may happen with those heavier wheels.

With the Bedford axle I can use all four gears and top speed about 55 ish, and 1st gear is crawler.

Maybe best to change before the reliant one gives up so can't be sold.

28chevy, thanks for your info. I would like to to try the current set up to see how it goes, but will look at the Bedford axle if/when this one fails. (You have me a little worried now, that the axles will start bending) I'll have a look at that link shortly, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Don't forget you have two types of Reliant axles with early Supervan style using tall 13" crossplies and later go to 10" rims. Gearing is lower on the earlier versions but I've never looked to find out the ratio .With early engine output I'd guess it would hav eto be at least 4:1 if not lower . Check out Fifers Reliant page on the 'net.

My trike weighs in at 280kg and I'm using a later 10"wheel style axle with 6x15 rims. In my case this actually makes 1st usable as it is now geared to 5 mph/1000rpm. 2nd is 10mph , 3rd 15 and top 20mph. Top is really a cruiser gear the other 3 are where it all happens. Revs to 8k in 3 gears if I want but normally keep it to 7 .

Kev, Your trike sounds well geared. Yes already got a lot of good info from the Fifers site, thanks.

I have already tried to address the gearing issue. The yellow top (high torque) Rialto engine I have, would have come with 2.73 ratio. I used an on-line diff gearing calculator to find out the equivalent ratio using the larger diameter easiclean wheels.

To err on the side of better off road gearing (allowing for kids diving it at slow speed etc), I used the more standard Robin (3.32) axle ratio for calculations. This came out as requiring change to theoretical 4.39 diff, the closest I could find was Regal saloon with 4.37. Unfortunately Regal rear axle is a couple of inches narrower the the Robin (and so would have been narrower than front axle). To get around this I swapped the Robin half shafts and axle tubes on a Regal Saloon diff casing. Can't getting any pics of this offmy camera due to format problem.

So I now have a suitably old looking 4.37 rear axle, of correct width and 4 on 4" stud pattern to suit the Austin Easi-clean wheels. Hopefully this will all work reasonably well, won't really know until I actually drive it.
    But If it's not right, I still have option of changing to Reliant Fox (4.11) or Regal Van (5.14) diffs to get lower/higher gearing, or the bedford rascal axle.

26" diameter wheel

Regal diff with Robin shafts.

thanks Gav.
    Last edited by 29stude; 28-03-2020 at 15:42.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should've known you'd have it well sussed Gav, yes it was the reliant one that bent, not the tubes but the shafts, although the 1.5 mm wall tubes (thinner with rust) are well known for cracking around welded on fixtures.

The main cause of disappointment off road is the Reliant engines lack of tourque, which wasn't needed in a Reliant anyway, hence lower gearing to get moving in soft going.

Bedford axle takes abuse, spin the tracks when loaded.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    26" diameter can't be that far away from the tall 13" crosplies .

On the trikes it is the casing that takes the hiding as all rod shocks are absorbed by it.

Some get round it by replacing casings with thicker wall tube. In my case there is another bumper type arrangement made of 3mm wall ( same as frame ) that bolts across the rear and reinforces it all that should be pretty simply ro recreate in some form?

17. Likes28Chevy liked this post
    Official RnS Addict legendlives's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    What an awesome project. Your kids are really lucky!
    The vision and workmanship are exceptional. Such a shame it won't be on the road.
    Keep posting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information