And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 28Chevy View Post
    Should've known you'd have it well sussed Gav, yes it was the reliant one that bent, not the tubes but the shafts, although the 1.5 mm wall tubes (thinner with rust) are well known for cracking around welded on fixtures.

The main cause of disappointment off road is the Reliant engines lack of tourque, which wasn't needed in a Reliant anyway, hence lower gearing to get moving in soft going.

Bedford axle takes abuse, spin the tracks when loaded.

That looks totally mad (in a good way). How did you do the track assembly?
    Last edited by 29stude; 29-03-2020 at 11:59.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    26" diameter can't be that far away from the tall 13" crosplies .

On the trikes it is the casing that takes the hiding as all rod shocks are absorbed by it.

Some get round it by replacing casings with thicker wall tube. In my case there is another bumper type arrangement made of 3mm wall ( same as frame ) that bolts across the rear and reinforces it all that should be pretty simply ro recreate in some form?
    Can't bring myself to change the casings at this stage , but I will use your suggestion of a bolt on bar, thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by legendlives View Post
    What an awesome project. Your kids are really lucky!
    The vision and workmanship are exceptional. Such a shame it won't be on the road.
    Keep posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaley View Post
    Loving the look of the remote shifter

Keep up the good work.

Chaley
    Thanks chaps.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    WIRING

Based wiring on remains of Subaru fuse box and loom. Originally subaru appeared to use only 15 amp fuses. I cut away unnecesary circuits and adapted it to fit layout of buggy and changed fuse ratings as required, also added a few relays for fuel pump etc. All this was mounted on old nylon chopping board.

For headlights I used a couple of old Deitz units, left over from previous build.
    Due to condition of chrome, I cleaned them up and gave a quick blow over with black paint. Then machined a couple of spacers to allow them to be side mounted.
    Top mounted indicators were also left over from previous project (planning to change these for something better looking when I can).

To do away with the plastic battery isolation switch, made an aluminium replacement.

Indicators and hazards were final part.
    In an odd way I quite enjoy wiring, so ended up with a slightly involved indicator/hazard relay system. There is no doubt a simpler OEM way to do this, but as I already had a collection of relays and bases, this set up only cost the price of switch.

Wanted indicators that only work when ignition is switch on (with associated tell tales), hazards to work with ignition off or on, hazard switch to illuminate with sidelights and also flash when pressed (as well as both indicator tell tales to flash). Also need one additional relay to protect switch.

Below is a not very exciting video showing showing it all working.

Thanks for looking Gav.
    Last edited by 29stude; 31-03-2020 at 13:26.

8. Likeskapri, Torment liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    BRAKES.

Fitted a Fiat Panda 3/4 bore master cylinder.

I'll make a small cover for the part that sticks through dash, at a later date.

Should I need to experiment with master cylinder sizes, I've fitted 2 bulkhead fittings just after the outputs on master cylinder. This should minimise hassle with disturbing pipes.

To fit the Austin Easi-clean wheels on front axle, I bought a NOS Triumph Herald disc brake conversion kit. This is a dead easy, bolt on adaption. Another advantage of this, is car now has self adjusting front brakes.

The original Ford Pop brakes also looked like NOS, and got a good price on Ebay.

To keep the brake lines neat, I've run hard lines along the front wishbone, with a flexi-pipe going to chassis at back of wishbone.

Made a couple of stainless fittings to connect reservoir to master cylinder.

Final part was fitting a Brake fluid reservoir. I've built up a little collection of these and turned out an Alfa Romeo fitted the bill.

Got it all connected yesterday. Managed to bleed everything OK, apart from the front nearside caliper. It's got fluid all way up to input port, but nothing coming out of bleed nipple (even with bleed nipple fully removed). so I'm presuming there is some issue inside caliper, so looks like I'll have to strip it down.

Gav.

10. LikesTorment, blackpopracing, 296moon, kapri liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Brakes and bodywork

Have made a bit more progress.

All the brakes now working correctly, I just had to free off the pistons in one of the front calipers, so that long awaited first drive is getting ever closer.

Then spent some time forming more panels.

I'm using 16 gauge aluminium, annealing it with blow torch as I go.

This is very much a learning curve, as first time I've panelled anything with ali, I'd like to build an Aluminium bodied, straight 6 powered, single seater one day, so I'm using this car as a bit of a practice piece.

Lastly, I noticed that the front axle was moving quite a bit on the shackles, so I've knocked up a panhard bar using a couple of spare rod ends and remains of the Ford Pop tie bar.

Thanks for looking, Gav
    Last edited by 29stude; 14-05-2020 at 09:43.

12. Likesmygasser, drseg liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once we are allowed to be social I would like to have a drive up to have a look at this..

Even more poignant as it was supposed to be the rail ale festival near you around now...christ it was great last year.

The Oddlot Drag Racing Team...havin fun is usual
    57 chevy wagon.
    540cui altered.
    your not drunk enough if you can lie on the floor without holding on..

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great Gav , nice bit of first time metal forming

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Torment View Post
    Once we are allowed to be social I would like to have a drive up to have a look at this..

Even more poignant as it was supposed to be the rail ale festival near you around now...christ it was great last year.
    More than weclome to have a look. But don't expect too much, it's nothing special.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information