I started this nearly a year ago, when we moved to the Philippines. I bought the 'glass body in the UK and basically built everything else.
The body was soon rent asunder for shipping:
After we arrived in the PI and I finally found a place to work, I glassed a plywood floor into the body, and re-attached the rear half to the front.
My old racing buddy from years ago has loaned me a mock up 350/350 combo, and a tunnel ram. Lodged 'em together to see what they look like and to work out where to cut for clearance. I won't actually be using it, as he wants $1000 for it and it is not really practical for a road car.
I cut out the floor to clear the motor. No room for size 13 boots in there, I fear. The tranny tunnel will need to be pretty close fitting to leave as much foot room as possible.
I've scored an unlimited supply of 40 x 80 x 3 box section from a local scrap man, basically brand new steel, but painted white for some abandoned project.
The rails were sliced at the rear to tweak 'em in a couple of inches. I never thought this out properly and put too fat a cut in, with the chopsaw. Here is my 'bender and tweaker' apparatus, to ease each one into line:
I took my jigsaw to the front ends, to have a go at that tubular thing so many people do. Seems to have worked so far, just got to do a little hammering and welding some time:
I'm going for a bit of a cartoony look, so the motor will sit rather high in the chassis, and I decided to make everything sit above chassis rail height. Thus I marked the shape out on the billiard table flat garage floor in pen. The roads here are abysmal in places, with huge speed bumps of random size and shape, thus I'm opting for a minimum 6" under the lowest point of the car.
My buddy forced a pair of huge Mickey Thompson 14" wide tyres on me too, but I already have wheels and tyres, so they will be put to one side for a rainy day. (not many of them in this part of the world)
I've scored a 9" rear axle too, just the right width, but it needs new bearings. 3:0 ratio as well, so it should be okay behind a TH350 in a light car like this.
Triangulated four bar in position, with temporary gash square tube links:
A bit of diagonal stiffness added:
My attempt at 'frilling it up'
I'm thinking about putting my 6v/71 blower on it, or probably just a Performer manifold and an Edelbrock 600 carb for now. I do fancy a blower, and it'd be fun making all the drive and stuff up.
I've discovered the 'paint' on the box section is powder-coat, so that is going to be fun to remove.
Just 30 feet away is wild jungle full of creepy crawlies and snakes and stuff.