Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan's Ruby

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryan's Ruby

Before I start this is my first attempt with a rod so please excuse any ignorance on my part and feel free to put your views across. I'm in no rush to finish this build as I have a lot on with the house so progress may be slow.

i have been thinking about getting a new project for a while but due to having just bought my first house I didn't want to spend too much or have something getting in the way. Having always prefered older cars and liking to support british made, I settled on the idea of an Austin seven. after a few months of looking for the right base I found a car which took my liking it was on ebay but unfortunately i missed the auction whilst being away on holiday. To my luck the winning bidder never turned up to collect the car and it was re-advertised this time I made sure I got it.

So here's my idea the car is small and very light so where possible I'm going to try and keep the weight down. I would like to keep the original identity so I will be keeping the chassis, suspension and steering original ish. But everything else is up for grabs. I am fully aware that it's not going to handle that well so don't have any desire to throw huge amounts of power at it. But at the same time I'd like it to be quick enough so that I enjoy driving it and that it will keep up with modern traffic. I'd like the roof chopped and the body channeled.

Thats about it heres some pics of what I'm starting with and my first days progress.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    that looks like a very good start there mate, if you want to keep it light take the engine out of the 2 wheeled beast next to it in last pics , then you dont have to dress up as a power ranger on the bike again.
    but seriously think about what engine you are wanting to use before you commit to using original suspension and steering

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    bike powered seven...now that sounds really good if you decided to do that...

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the first time I have seen a seven chassis I can't believe that is all there is to it, I do know the rear axle is very weak so if you are to use it you probably won't want more than about 60bhp maybe a "A" series 1275 engine with morris 1000 or marina gearbox would do or even a reliant 850 engine and gearbox with a little bit of tweaking they can get along pretty nippy, in fact the reliant engine is smaller than the morris engine so that would probably suit it better. This is bearing in mind your choice of keeping it lightweight with std axles steering etc, good luck with it.

John
    My Pop Build thread https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...op-build-32191
    My 55 Chevy Resto https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/tri...ed-today-67186
    Anyone can drive a fast car, not everyone can drive a car fast!!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to add gas shocks but so that I can remove them if need arises

I've already measured up the fireblade engine. The problem with a bike engine is that it sits too far too the passenger side to connect straight to the prop. I could sort this but might add in weakness, I.e one small prop running along side the main connected with a chain and cogs.

The other option I thought was rover k-series erich keeps with the rover mg austin family and is light and alloy block like the cars original

I will probably be using a midget rear axle

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    R1 engines with the stacked gearbox allow the prop to run much straighter, I have a turbo blackbird engine in my westfield I run a split prop and have had no prop problems with wear or balance and I get well over 350bhp at the wheels, but unless you do some radical stuff to the suspension or steering I would have thought the bike engine would have been far too radical for safe use, it will get a serious tramp on and you know you will use it, cause it would be rude (impossible) not to.

John
    My Pop Build thread https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...op-build-32191
    My 55 Chevy Resto https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/tri...ed-today-67186
    Anyone can drive a fast car, not everyone can drive a car fast!!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your absolutely right but I don't need to use a high powered motorbike engine. The problem with the suspension is that I want to keep the cars identity

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you could do with a mg midget as a donor vehicle

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i understand you need 8 points to keep the identity. so if you had :- 5 points - 'uncut' chassis (compulsory part of the total), 2 points - both front and rear suspension and 2 points - steering, that's 9 in total. then you can change the engine/box and front and rear axles giving more power, stronger axles and better brakes. you could just add better brakes to the stock front axle to simplify that end. whatever you do, good luck with it.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my project, been on hold for a while. It uses an amalgamation of different Austin 7 parts, with a "tweeked" reliant engine and box. It drops straight in! Have fitted morris minor hydrolic brakes/drums and lever arm shocks on the back with mini shocks on the front, Hope that helps with your thoughts
    Cheers Dave
    Last edited by streetwise; 03-06-2012 at 15:45. Reason: added picture

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information