The project is to build a car from scratch, a one off.
The cars criteria:
• Fast (for a road car)
• Good handing, brakes and steering.
• Comfortable (water proof/heating as it will be in Scotland)
• Environmental unfriendly
• Cheap as possible to build (minimum out sourcing)
• Try to make it look nice (very hard)
Main manufactures components required:
• Engine: SBC
• Gearbox: GM 400
• Prop shaft
• Front axle S3 Jaguar
• Rear axle XJS (in-board discs with LSD)
• Wheels and Tyres
The next decision is to select the type of chassis for a car. I looked at three chassis, ladder, space frame and backbone. Decided upon a backbone chassis but would include a steel floor and doors with side impact protection.
So now I can start the project with a trip to the Jaguar scrap yard for the front and rear axles. After money exchanged and a nice delivery from TNT I am the proud owner of two old Jaguar axles plus a steering column. The first job was to sort out the front axle.