Updated 13/04/10 BIVA re-test
Now I have finished the Truck ( well nearly) I can start on the next one. I thought you may like to see a regular build up feature of a Street rod using as many parts as possible from a single doner. Hopefully it will help others get started/motivated please feel free to comment or ask questions
I like to build reliable and economical rods and this one will be on a very tight budget ( Sue has no idea how much it cost to build the truck)
I scored a 1993 Nissan 200SX turbo from Ebay for £480 which had been crashed by the owners brother who took it without permission and lost control, it was an auto but came with a spare engine, manual box rear axle and brand new turbo and leather interior. I stripped it bare and weighed in the shell at the top of the market and got £80 back.
The car still ran and the engine sounded OK but there is a lot in the engine bay most of which I will end up dumping.
I started this week with a pair of tapered rails I made by cutting a slice out of some 50x10mm 3mm box section then fabricated some front horns using 3mm plate
The rear axle is a LSD and is independent mounted in its own frame that has 4 rubber mount points, the front mounts stick out too far for a rod so I cut both sides off and swapped them over and welded them back on to keep them within the frame rails.
I made up some 6mm plate and welded them to the box section and drilled and tapped them for mounting the sub frame to the chassis.
Made some kick ups to tie it all together.
I have drilled out the hubs to 5 stud so I could fit a set of chrome smoothies I did a deal on which cost me £350 (4)
I took the frame off the jig and mocked it up on the floor so I could check the ride height and set the engine position.
Not bad for a few hours work