Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

spliffy the panel

well been busy in my "spare" time for over 18 months . Trouble is not enough spare time . So its an Oct 12th 67 built 68 model year UK spec VW panel van. Have been collecting as many NOS panels as I could find and "best quality" parts. Lets hope the pics post. will wright time line first. So when I got the panel it had windows cut in that rusted around the seals badly, as a quick make over (this is when I had my Garage business ) we welded in new sections and resprayed in original colour . Of course the skim of filler cracked due to body movement, this was as I found out down to some very bad repairs. Cut all the panels off, and ended up going back to chassis rails. New under floor sections fitted, crossmembers and sills, along the way twisted chassis realigned . Outriggers and jacking points ,rear arches repaired ,"good" cut front arches fitted,cab floor repaired. new load floor and kick up section done. Body side panels fitted using panel glue around rear arches . Polo steering rack with Renault master van 90 deg box fitted then new front panels welded in . Good used front beam fitted (one year only , its full of one year only bits!!) and a set of drop spindles modified to take a disc brake kit that "does not fit" (no such thing is there folks) Took 2 weeks hols to try and get paint on but still rubbing down filler, took me a day to get the tail gate to fit (good used) as it was tight top left to bottom right. Improvised body jack helped as well as shaving some from door to get shut line. Recon body must have moved ? fitting the new bits. The PIA has been getting the moulding correct on R/H side as had to cut it out of the old panel as the new section was for the N/S . Over the winter made some of the interior units as well

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ran out of space!!!!so here's some build pics.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    a, still lots to do but have a dead line for end of May next year. Then might get to work on my Austin Countryman -------------

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    This one didn't transfer , inside of rear cupboard with spare wheel well transferred from L/H to R/H side as bed covers the L/H side.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well its taken me ages to get filler right, bought a Velcro sanding block kit. OMG wish I had this before , it was easy to get body line right for side moulding and the curved block is spot on for front panel. More or less got the "rough " filling done today but need lots of putty to get pin holes and scratches out, seen a liquid glaze but not sure if that's the right stuff as last time (2 decades ago!!) I used some it was spray on. Not been well this last month so slowed me down a lot.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bit of progress , found I still had a pot of that liquid filler so brushed it on. Decided to fill a warp in side panel but run out of filler. AS said not been well with a "cold/sore throat" bug that then gave me 2 weeks of the squits, got so run down (lost 7lb) that the cold sore virus in my right eye has flared up so spent yesterday chasing around between docs, opticians, back to docs and then chemist to get ointment . Stuck in today waiting for it to work so hopefully can go down lockup tomorrow and do a bit to bus. Stripped n/s cab door to bare on Thurs and need to reinstate some filler on an old repair, will do same to o/s cab door carefully to get rid of the blue paint . Found 4 layers of paint in some places starting with the respray we did , the blue it was when I got it, white on top of blue for upper body plus some blue over blue repairs and the original green factory under that !!!!Still have sliding door, rear corners and engine lid to strip as well as around front screen when I get it out. o/s wheel tubs to clean with electric wire brush and then stone chip . BTW did I say I hate body work!!!!!!Much happier on mechanicals/electrics.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow eh! Lol bodywork isn't for everyone but ya done good!!

Keep going chief
    "We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return: we will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we will meet again."

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well can of worms , striped drivers door and found a god awful repair. Repair section fitted without swaging the joint, its just pushed behind the door skin. The resulting large dip being filled with glass fibre and skimmed with nearly 1/2 ins of filler!!!!! ordered new door skin so if it turns up on time that will be my Thurs job. Ordered some panel adhesive as well so hopefully it wont need much filler on the join. You cant get a 68 door skin as handles different so will have to join below that, found some holes in door as well caused by sound deadening sheet folding over at top and trapping water. Next problem is finding room to work on door ------------

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Decided to fit the whole door skin and looks like only have to cut around rear handle fitting as front looks the same. Managed to get as far as a trial fit ,only had 3 hrs on it today. Will take photos next time!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information