Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sxn 909

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is that it isn't only "honest rust" its years of English MoT patches badly welded in place. It really IS do-able but will take time and patience. Buying one of the cheap Chinese shrinker/stretchers off EBay for about £100 would be a good investment, they aren't the best quality but I've used mine time after time. A good set of doors (or repairing the existing ones to the right shape) is the first step I.M.O and making a template of the rear screen before repairing its surround.

It will be nice to see it restored to its original English condition.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Neil - You can buy the shell unwelded, but no-one makes the 4dr hardtop like that - so if I reshell (even partially) I'd need to change the body style - obvious choice for a number of reasons would be the convertible. I had a look at Desert Valley Auto parts but the web's full of horror stories about them. I am going to try Real Deal Steel though as they are the only people making any of the 4dr HT unique bits as far as I can find out.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!! another 4 door getting a rebuild.
    Fantastic..and getting hard to find.
    Looks like a worth while project to me.

Good luck with it. keep at it.

How about trimming the door edges to fit??..every door i have come across in the past for these, tri chevy's, truck and cars have all been slightly different, and needed tweaking..

Only robbie the robot was around when these, and other cars were built...some might have been a monday morning, or friday night car as i put it.(wings/fenders, doors had shims to make up the gaps)
    I you need a head liner, i have one.still in its box, sent to me by mistake, instead of one for a 4 door sedan. (black vinyl from ecklers )

Adam.
    Last edited by ironman56; 20-02-2013 at 21:27.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ironman - I do need a headliner cos I've just trashed the 70's ford ?Granada one that was in there so I can weld some braces in - like this (I will PM you)

One bit of good news was finding a bit that wasn't as bad as I expected!

Mark - I need to move the car over the other side of the garage, but when I have I'll do a pic with the dogleg "offered up" - many thanks.

Ironman - you are right about the doors especially the worst fitting one - it's been reskinned fairly crudely.

Two questions for experts -

I'm getting temporary "blindness" - like looking at a 100w bulb (showing my age) when using my solar welding mask (got it from Machine Mart) - no matter what setting I use - is this normal? Battery (says) it's OK.

The back door can be adjusted buit whatever way I do it, it's "too short" to meet the latch - I'm betting I might be missing a shim or three from the behind the latch where it's fitted to the body - does this sound likely?
    Last edited by JohnE; 23-02-2013 at 18:07.

Official RnS Addict streetfighter's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    your mask is faulty, is it switched on? is there a button on the inside? you should get a quick flash as you strike up, about a tenth of a second.
    Its no good in the garage, Drive it!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think there was a thin steel plate/shim on each of the door hinge back on my 56'.

If yours were rusty on the back, you might not have noticed them..(easy to grind/rub them off when cleaning up)
    After letting my dad in the shop with a broom, and not being able to find the odd part, i always check through the pile of crap thats been swept up...you never know what you might find.!

Get your mask checked out!!..not at all good...Is the lens chipped, or cracked??..

ALWAYS CLOSE MY EYES A SECOND, BEFORE SQUEEZING THE TRIGGER.. ARK EYE IS A REAL BUGGER!!

Adam.
    Last edited by ironman56; 24-02-2013 at 01:16.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to get (if I haven't already) a rep for being a pillock pretty soon - the welding mask (thanks to all) needed new batts. Seems the old ones were so dead they didn't light the "low batt" light. Now all fine and I've put some more bracing in - ran out of welding wire which is the good Lord's way of telling me to come in and eat a Findus Lasagne.

Official RnS Addict Steve 5-6-7's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep door latch has shims
    Nostalgia.......it's the future

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve - I don't think mine has any in - if I could get the screws out I could find out!

Official RnS Addict Steve 5-6-7's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    Thanks Steve - I don't think mine has any in - if I could get the screws out I could find out!
    You should be able to see them without taken it off . I always use an impact driver as they will be tight as
    Nostalgia.......it's the future

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information