Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  63
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The Temptress.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    have you got an air chisel robert, that might shift it.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, a can of freeze spray on the piston and an air chisel might work, I assume the piston is toast now anyway with it being chipped near the gudgeon pin

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well,Good Evening all,

i spent a bit of time measuring the volumes of the head , and piston dome , and the compression ratio comes out at 7.02:1 .

2.5mm skim on the head would give 8.18:1 and the valve clearance looks ok ...

stock clearance check..

2.5mm skim ..

the important number is the min piston to valve .. it ant to be above .100 if possible to allow for valve bounce and rod stretch.

the deck of the head is 5mm so a 2.5mm skim would leave 2.5mm deck ,,

but regarding the crack in the block , i think i will prob not skim it , a skim would be mostly beneficial for mpg , i calculate a 13 % improvement , so 20 mpg would go to 22.6 mpg ....but a stiff head deck might help retain the jb weld in the crack .

While doing the calcs i started a process of heating and spraying the stuck BARSTARD MK2 piston , and today was the big attempt to move it again ... i cut a 15mm steel bar to give best hammer throw under the car , and ,after a final blowtorch and lube set too .....

er ..

oh dear ..

so that settles that ,new piston needed . Interestingly , the piston , even after i had smashed the side down past the top rings with a chisel , still needed hammering all the way up to the last 5mm ,really really stuck .

piston rings wise , i have worked out that

2.25 series land rover or 2.5 for compression rings .

and for the oil ring ,

v12 jag ,
    toyota hilux 2.2 ,
    land cruiser 4.0 diesel ,
    merc 3.0 diesel .

can be adapted to work , so i will hunt around the scrappy's for some old engines i guess . i was kindly sent some 2.5 landy sets , and the top rings of those work in my slots , so that's a bit done .

on yet another subject ,

i noticed the plugs are very recessed ..

i got a projected nose ngk , and it's a little better ..

not ideal , problem is the plug is sandwiching the rocker cover ,and a copper washer , to seal the cover ..odd!

i will cut the earth strap short so it sparks sideways , that will speed the chamber burn .

tomorrow i will sand the cylinder and see if its usable .

regards
    robert
    Last edited by ivanhoew; 14-09-2020 at 19:44.

5. Likeslegendlives liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that was proper stuck, good news about the rings.

Not sure I'd trust that clearance calculator, those valves do look a bit bent
    Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!

My Chevy thread: https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/sho...y-coach-403745
    Rugged Robin 2/3rd track: https://www.facebook.com/Rugged.Robin.tracked/

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Presumably its already using 'long reach' plugs - perhaps research availability of plugs with 'projected tips'? Re. the low compression ratio (and typical of the day for many engines)' - what about researching cam profiles (and whether a re-ground profile is feasible) - a number of USA cam manufacturers offered 'performance' cams that would maximise power with the lo-comp engines typical of the mid 70's emission era engines. Couple that with a sensible ignition curve and perhaps increase torque levels?
    Carburation suck'shttps://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/customavatars/avatar199184_4.gif

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 28Chevy View Post
    Wow that was proper stuck, good news about the rings.

Not sure I'd trust that clearance calculator, those valves do look a bit bent
    they do ! its an indicator , not gospel if i was to so it properly i would use the plastacine like i did on medusa , interestingly, AS put the cam in 6 degrees retarded ,to make top end power , this sways the cam centreline so the ex valve is more open at tdc than the inlet , but since the ex valve is smaller and so further away from the piston is has similar clearance .

10. Likes28Chevy liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Riley had a similar arrangement as standard with its plugs ie but short reach (Champion L10), very recessed, but with a lot of thread to go (where yours is unthreaded, Robert). Not sure why this was - a fear of plugs oiling? Coking up? What many do, as you have, and I have, is use long reach/long nose plugs eg Champion N9Y. As roscobb has hinted the long nose/projected tip plugs I think became popular later.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4potHemi View Post
    My Riley had a similar arrangement as standard with its plugs ie but short reach (Champion L10), very recessed, but with a lot of thread to go (where yours is unthreaded, Robert). Not sure why this was - a fear of plugs oiling? Coking up? What many do, as you have, and I have, is use long reach/long nose plugs eg Champion N9Y. As roscobb has hinted the long nose/projected tip plugs I think became popular later.
    That is interesting ,thank you Hemi , my plug threads go all the way through the hole ,the smooth parts is larger than the thread ..... the plugs i tried in there are ngk projected nose , i maybe did not make that clear , so i think that's as far in as i can get , unless i machine the seats , but then the rocker box tubes wont reach . Alternatively i can clearance the plug area in the chamber , but at the expense of a lower cr ....although that would be slightly offset by the projected nose .

Re why they recessed them i think your right poor fuel , risk of hot spots , and also maybe less tolerant plugs , re the hot spots, the sharp edge around the plug hole would be worse ,and really need blending over anyway , although with lpg and a 7:1 cr , i could prob run 30 psi boost with no problems !

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    meanwhile , back at the ranch , ring grooves and pistons all ready to re fit , once i have rings for them of course ..

and i de constructed the holy one , so i have it ready for a new piston ..

i was intending to hone the bores to see how appaling they are ,but my stones dont fit my hone , so i was stufff ed.

regards
    robert

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    a soupson more done today ,,

i realised my stones dont fit my honer , so i created this abortion of a thing ..

i will find out tomorrow if it works .

while pottering around afterwards i had a look at the radiator, i'm guessing this is not how its supposed to look..

someone has been trying to chisel off the plate ..

you may be able to see the gap nearest the camera ,if ,by wonder of wonders , it in focus at all...

looked like the only thing to do was get the plate off totally and start again ,so i cut off the studs , drilled them out then gently prised the plate off , it was soldered , but only on the last third so it popped off with little effort..

i cleaned up the site a little ..

then a little more..

it looks like the plate was soldered onto the tank with the studs soldered in as well , then the thermostat housing ...

seem here ,looking like it came off the mary rose , bolted on .

all i can think of to do is get someone to solder the plate back on with a stub welded to it hen i can simply put a hose on it to the head with a hose mounted thermostat , i think it was renault 19 that had those .

oooodles of fun !

regards
    robert

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information