Likes Likes:  87
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: The Temptress.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loko View Post
    Yes it sealed it so well I forgot about it for years! I did give the rivet heads a good going over with a wire brush on the angle grinder first though.
    That's useful advice, Loko. Thank you. I've got crossply innertubes in my radials, and have been lucky so far (25 yrs +). However, I have heard about tubes fretting on internal lateral ribs on radials. BTW 16" innertubes are a bit cheaper than the 19" ones advertised by SCparts. I seem to recall about £12 fitted when I had a puncture fixed about five years ago.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    At last we got drums ..

so ,bouyed up , i thought hey lets have a look at the master cylinder , let's see where mr and mrs armstrong decided .to.put.the.master.......

oh lovely under the car..

that looks fun ...servo too..

so tomorrows "crawling under the car snapping off bolts" day

If its dead ,the master is 3/4" bore remote , so i think that may be the same as land rover something or other.

regards
    robert

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you fit a modern servo/duel circuit master cyl unit in that space? Just a thought------

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by budetta View Post
    Can you fit a modern servo/duel circuit master cyl unit in that space? Just a thought------
    should be able to , ill see how the wreckage i unearth today looks .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well today went quite well !

lying underneath with my torch balanced in my belly button , i realised the brake pipes would not come undone ,so i assumed i would have to snap them off and remake them , so i unbolted the master cylinder , which actually came undone , and pulled it down ,then i realised i could get the mole grips on the bigger fitting that goes to the fluid reservoir , and by jove , it undid .

the other pipe just snapped .

this left me with the manky old master cyl in my hands so off i went to the vice and hammer and air gun , and after a lot of banging in the cave , it all came apart ..

.the innerds should not look like this ..

i honed the bore , and it looked ok , but the only seal i could find in another cyl was a bit frayed so , and, i know this will induce a catatonic state of shock ,and dismay , in my regular readers , but ....but .....

i bought a new one ....

I Know I know ...time for a lie down.

next i needed to fix the broken pipe , this screws into the servo from above , and there was no way to get at it , or the servo bolts ,from below, so i eyeballed a mark on the floor and made a hole , hoping to get it in line above the fitting ....

BLIMEY !

this fitting unscewed , so i made a new pipe..

with new ends on it too ,is there no end to my extravagance .

boffed this in ..

and i am ready for my new cylinder to arrive , so i can wop it on and see if i fill the servo with brake fluid.

regards
    robert.
    Last edited by ivanhoew; 14-10-2020 at 20:10.

8. Likes 28Chevy, steve1275, Taxirod, mygasser liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well my spanky new shiny master cylinder arrived on saturday , and today i fitted it and it was a good fit , i even used some stainless bolts .all the hydraulics fitted ,and i was good to go with filling the reservoir...

ER..

NO.

pumpy mcpumpy on the pedal got no where ,so i thought , maybe the reservoir is blocked ,so i took its bottom pipe off ,and blew it out ,all clear ..bum.

took apart each junction and got fluid bubbles to the servo and then out of the servo , so i though i'll bleed each junction by pumping the pedal with each joint cracked open .

This actually worked, much to my A .and i had a good pedal , so with the front bleed screw open i happily pumped away,checked the nipple and nothing coming out , but the pedal was going down .hhhmmm..

crept underneath and shone the torch on the o/s rear drum , ah , that will be where my fluid is going , running down the tyre .

so , after lunch , i took off the rear wheel spat , and looked at that familiar sight ,a half undone wheel nut , oh oh ..deja vu.

yup , all five nuts span the studs , and the nuts don't unscrew , the new wrinkle is,i cannot undo the flange because it is a taper fit to the half shaft . ...and you have to use a puller , i can't use a puller cos the wheel is on .....

in other news , i then went and started the ring gapping ,i checked my 200 tdi ring ..

bit tight ,

thats better .45mm end gap .

tomorrow i pack a circular ring of semtex on the rear wheel drum , and pop it off .

regards
    robert

10. Likes 28Chevy, steve1275 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my cunning plan , was derailed since my usual semtex supplier was delayed by a body cavity search in the customs shed in Tijuana.

so plan B , was to have a think and then realize , if the wheel stud lock nuts on the back of the flange have come off , then perhaps i could jack up the car , (which is now on two wobbly axle stands at the front , and one scissor jack at the rear O/S) , then maybe i could pull on the wheel , and undo all the 4 remaining wheel nuts , and unscrew the studs from the flange ..

Amazingly it worked , ..

which it shouldn't have done if the locknuts were there ,so i expected to find the locknuts lying in the drum,well not only were there none , i also found out why it would not bleed ,was it a faulty wheel cylinder i hear you ask ..er ...noo.....

my car has done a cinderella , and run off without any shoes !

yup .

i then had to get the wheel nuts off the studs , so out with the big vice (we all have one)

and they were bloody tight ,nearly had to scaffold pole the vice handle.

then spent sometime cleaning threads and making it all ready to weld the studs back in,

i was a bit stuck for locknuts , then found the limo front flanges had ones that fit ..

on one of the studs , its flange thread was so rounded off i could not get a nut on it to clear it , so i found a 1/2 unf die , and put 4 threads on it ,(the wrong thread for the nut) , then used those 4 threads to start the nut , and then use the nut to clean and make good , and a small file to bring it back to bsf or whatever it is .

Then turned my attention to the slave cylinder , i knocked out the one stuck piston, and the bore was a touch , scabby , ..

so got out the magic hone..

looks a bit better ..

and then got on the pu ,and ordered new seals ...the old ones were demogrifying.

it was nice to see good solid rear chassis rails .

regards
    robert

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    entertaining as always robert and the glass is permanently half full with you i'm glad to see.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a big choice of new pull in splined studs out there, not too costly and wouldn't suffer from HAZ caused by welding, just sayin' like..
    Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!

My Chevy thread: https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/sho...y-coach-403745
    Rugged Robin 2/3rd track: https://www.facebook.com/Rugged.Robin.tracked/

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 28Chevy View Post
    There's a big choice of new pull in splined studs out there, not too costly and wouldn't suffer from HAZ caused by welding, just sayin' like..
    i must identify the stud thread ,and have a look into that bernard , do you mean drill out the thread in the flange , or cut into the old thread with the splines ? i imagine this has to be a correct degree of interference so the splines grip .

thanks Neil , yup keeping positive , helps to have comments on the thread to keep me motivated

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information