Hi Guys its build time, this time my new project is a tot rod. Im new to the hot rod scein so forgive me if i make a few errors on the way so feel free to correct me. I want to build a hot rod for myself sometime soon but i have to get rid of my belovid mini first and get some more cash together before i start so for my entry into the hot rod world ive decided to build a tot rod for my two kids.
Yes ill answer that one for you now! Q: Why build a tot rod and spend money when i want to save for a hot rod of my own?
A: Simply because i already have the basis to get started, i have what will make a good chassis, and engine and running gear so fundimentally all i need is the body.
Ok so what do we have to get started.
Honda GX220 engine. I was given this engine as a new engine but missing a few parts. Although its a runner it had the wrong crank for what i wanted, it was fitted with a tapered crank. I managed to get from a neighbour a new parallel crank (as used in kart engins) so i have stripped down the engine, removed the tapered and fitted the parallel crank, removed the govener, fitted uprated valve springs and rebuilt the engine. Ive also managed to get the parts that were missing from the engine so this is now complete and up and running. I have also cut open the exhaust and de-baffled it so the engine is now breathing nicely and boy does it bark.
With the correct crank now fitted, i have fitted a kart clutch so we now have a usable, controlable engine so its time to move on to the chassis side of life, this is a new chassis which was designed for electric rental kart (cadet Kart) but had been stored for a few years as an unbuilt kart at my local kart centre. With a few conversations with the owner i managed to buy the chassis for just a few pounds. So steering arms, hubs, bearings wheels and an axle were then found and fitted to form a rolling chassis. Next came the point of being able to stop, and because we are talking about my kids using this decent brakes were going to be needed so we ended up with a new hydrolic brake system from Kelgate was next on the list. I went with the kelgate system purly because it was designed for 125 two stroke karts so it is going to have more than enough braking for a Honda GX220 engine. Now this has all come at a cost as im sure you will all appreciate but so fare the rolling chassis with brakes, engine parts has come in at the (what i think is a low price) of just £100
So any comments or correctional thaughts so far? Ill be taking some photos today so i will add them later for you all to look at, i hope the thread is of interest to some of you and that you will enjoy watching as the project moves on.
So a little more has been done today and we have decided on what we will be building in turms of body for the project, We are going to use a 57 Ford Sedan. Im still not sure what colour we will run with as a finnished item yet but i will be having a few chats with the guy who is going to paint it for me. He is a tatoo artist by trade and is verry handy with an airbrush so im sure we will come up with something great in the end. he will be doing some drawings of different finnishes for me so as soon as we have a few on paper ill post them up for you to look at. But for the time being, here is the body we will be using. http://imagehosting.rodsnsods.co.uk/...1d7ff7ecc0.jpg
Soneone will tell you it's a 37 Roadster.....might as well be me...........but, whatever it is, looks like a great first Tot Rod for the kids and their introduction to the rodding world!!!! :tup:
LOL whatever it is, its orange. And i should check that i type what i meant to (3)
Hi keep the pics and the buid thread coming :tup:Cheers Neil
I decided to upgrade the fuel system on the totrod today. Not that anything is wrong with the stock carb and tank but you know what its like. Being as i have de governed the engine i might as well get it fueling better. Much as the stock Honda carb perfect and new i have opted for a Mikuni 26mm carb and fuel pump. By doing this i can fabricate a fuel tank and have a working fuel filler neck on the rod to give it a more realistic look.