Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Tribute to Edwardian aero engined cars and Land Speed Record cars of the 1920's

Hi all

Well the donor has arrived :-

I got a good chassis , 1700 O series engine with 5 speed box , servo brakes and all done 107k in 30 years so not bad.

Want to build something loosely based on this car :-

So need to move radiator/engine/gearbox back about 3 ft and build steel cowl , aluminum bonnet/sides and wooden body.

I will use almost 100% Sherpa parts until DVLA accept re-body and then if I enjoy driving it , look at maybe a 6 pot motor bigger wheels and start making it look more period and every so slightly steam punk .....

regards Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love this, had a similar idea myself. Even got as far as aquiring an ex-milk float Sherpa and straight 6 Rolls engine. The Sherpa's long gone but I still have the engine stashed for a rainy day

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to this build. Andy

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    How the original was built , formers stringers and 2 layers of 1.5mm plywood , needed a boat builder to pull that off !
    Original :-

I have not been idle whilst looking for a donor , this is my second [ better looking ] model , trying to figure out how to build it simpler but retaining the look ?

So rather than make the formers and bulkheads from lots of expensive sheets of Birch Plywood [ B/P from now on ] as the original[ above ].
    I though it better to build a frame work and clad it in lighter sheets of plywood for the flat bits and strip construction for the curved bits. this is better suited to my tools - cheaper - and allows luggage storage in the 4 largest lower bays behind seats.

and my 1/12 scale model:-

and inside :-

So from left to right a framework for the lower portion of the body where the sides only have a curve in one direction , floor from 6mm B/P roof from 3mm B/P above sits formers of 6mm B/P that will support strip construction maybe 3/4" x 3/8" soft wood ripped myself from planks [ throwing out all the badly knotted stuff ? ]

The silver bit is the bonnet that will be sheet steel or aluminium and the black piece is the steel radiator cowl.

The bulkhead behind the seats and dashboard and firewall will be 12mm B/P the floor will be 12mm B/P although probably made of laminated curved pieces for the lower edges to get the outer curved shape and floorboards of 12mm B/P so they can easily be removed should I want a different engine gearbox ?

I can't show the lower frame work in the cockpit as the seats are a little to large , however it would stretch from the existing one parallel to the ground to the firewall.

The other side of the model shows 3mm B/P skin on areas with only 1 curve [ yellow bits ] and all the top white area represents the area to be strip planked , the orange showing one side of where the planking will go and represent a couple of planks.

Sherpa has bed removed and rear screen out , just waiting for rain to stop will get out windscreen cut roof off and remove doors should fit in garage then for rest of dismantling.

regards Paul

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you seen the Napier Railton with the 'W' section 12 cylinder Napier Lion aero engine at any of the Brooklands events? - there are a couple more similar lookalikey cars that have been built and doing the rounds on (I think) old Bentley chassis's (saw them at Kop Hill this year) - one has a turbo charged diesel Cummins truck engine - it seemed surprisingly quiet and civilised for such an engine - OK not an aero engine but big capacity.

Last edited by Roscobbc; 16-10-2016 at 09:06.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is going to be good.
    I'm not the best welder in the world.... but I'm in the top 5!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Imho go to the very largest capacity engine you can find. Some of the earlier truck engines were petrol . Failing that a straight 8 engine out of a Buick, Hudson (uk Railton), Pontiac or Rolls powered ex army vehicle. What about a flat 4 or flat 6 Continental air cooled engine out of a Cessna ?

Grown up? Never!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'm going to like this one

Chaley
    And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome and the pictures there are some beautiful motors made/driven in this country.

I am looking for the earlier cruder type of machine more seat of the pants , this makes it easier in some respects no ' shiny paint finish ' little metal body work and build can be cruder than the cars shown above

Baby steps however , first I want it successfully registered as a rebody with the DVLA and passing an MOT , then we can start dreaming about engines , modest initial goals mean more chance of finishing it ?

Seems very easy to make a open topped sporting car , 2 days so far ....

and now it fits in the garage , just .....

Next up is to start labelling wiring and removing front body a bit at a time till it is all gone.

Does anyone know if I can remove cab and leave engine and gearbox in situ ?

Found petrol tank leaking so that needs removing before long as I weld in that garage !

Not sure if it can be repaired , looks like a stone chip on the front has rusted through rest looks sound , shame as I thought it could be used if moved to under the tail to where the spare currently sits.

Need to judge the point where I no longer need to drive it and then the fun begins , my drive is quite step so without being able to drive it I need help to wheel it in and out.

all for now Paul

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all

Slow but steady progress , being hampered by the wiring , god it takes a torturous path and there loads of it I mean who puts the fuse box in the middle of the dash board and 6 relays inside the passenger foot well and all individually mounted ?

Anyone know how to undo speedo cable at instrument end ?

Sometimes simply hacking till you get where you want is best

Still puzzled why it has a ECU ? as it is a single carb engine with a manual choke and what looks like normal ignition ?

Success [ I think ] when I found and removed the front 2 cab/chassis bolts , still no idea where the other 2 are.

Also it is a very strange mix of Imperial and metric bolt sizes ?

All for now Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information