Tribute to Edwardian aero engined cars and Land Speed Record cars of the 1920's - Page 3
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you go carefull with that body. I had mine slide last year unexpectedly. Where in notts are you? Might be able to lend a hand.

Trigger
    I'm not the best welder in the world.... but I'm in the top 5!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc41memorylane View Post
    Make sure you go carefull with that body. I had mine slide last year unexpectedly. Where in notts are you? Might be able to lend a hand.

Trigger
    Trigger thanks for offering.

I am in Mansfield and will heed your warning.

I usually go around the corner for some local muscle a dad and 2 sons are generally enough , we did manage to lift the dropside off the chassis.

However to be honest I have no idea how heavy this may be ?

I had thought of cutting it in half front to back through the gear lever hole , although there is a big cross cab beam under the rear seat mounts and my saw/grinder may not have the depth to tackle that ?

Still struggling with gear levers chokes etc

Also fetching another motor today and putting it on the front lawn has sort of limited my dismantling time at the moment.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had to leave this for a while , however got a few hours today.

Choke is out
    clutch drained and master cylinder unbolted and strapped to engine
    front brakes drained - rears seem to have a different sized brake nipple ? not found a spanner yet that fits
    ECU clear of body work and strapped to engine
    rear loom freed from cab and tied up out of way.

Next drain rear brakes and then disconnect both brake pipes from master cylinder and u-nclip from cab.

Then jack up the rear of the cab and attempt to cut it in half.

back soon ....

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc41memorylane View Post

Trigger
    Trigger

Yep mine had a surprise for me as well .....

One foot inside and one on the floor when I cut through the last bit the left half gave a lurch and almost dumped me on the floor.

Luckily I had left the front bolt in , well actually it was trapped by the battery box whose screws were rusted in , and a pile of wood under the step where I originally jacked it up PHEW

Need to organise my local muscle to get it shifted and then I can continue to remove the Servo and unclip the pipes from the drivers side and that can be lifted off as well.

Onward and every up ward as they say

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you didn't get hurt, looking forward to your progress.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really looking forward to see how this is going to turn out
    I'm not the best welder in the world.... but I'm in the top 5!

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I was frustrated as my usual muscled seemed to have been out last night and so no progress could be made ...

Then the light came on if it wanted to fall off then why not let it and then drag the separate parts out of the way ?

So using some ratchet straps I squeezed it back together and removed the wooden blocks holding it up...

So far so good.

I then wheeled it out the garage so when it fell it was already outside [ no room to drop the drivers side in the garage anyway ]

I then propped the drivers side back up and undid the straps , passenger side fell onto front wheel and easily lifted off and dragged onto the lawn.

Went underneath and freed off the last brake pipes and the drivers side almost came free , only some numpty had reattached the handbrake cable forgetting it was fastened to some gubbins under the floor - freeing it gave this...

Silly grin as I sat on a board right near the rear wheel and surveyed the bits laid out in front of me.

Next ? needs wheeling out and giving a good pressure washing before I start assessing the next stage.
    Last edited by stormbird; 04-11-2016 at 17:45.

Grown up? Never!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you made some broom broom noises

Chaley
    And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well not much has happened to this , needed some thinking time and had a ' honey do ' list most of that is now taken care off.

Engine and gearbox need moving , however as I am keeping them they do not need to come out only crawl down the chassis a bit.

Removed prop shaft from gearbox tail and dropped it onto floor for now.

So decided to prop up some rails under the cross members and drop the engine and gearbox onto them then the chassis can be wheeled forward ?

The gearbox was complicated as the cross member was in-front of the rear spring hanger and needed to be behind it so that meant more wood and jacking up stuff to free it.

Engine is complicated as it is in 3 pieces and so the inside piece is narrow enough to move inside the chassis rails the plates need removing from the chassis for future use that entails removing steering box.

Hope when I have them off chassis will run forward and I can re-attach gearbox cross member an see how far back it can go.

Then it is down to can engine/gearbox stay under the chassis and go far enough back , or do they need to be raised and sit on top of the chassis ? if so will the prop shaft angle still be acceptable ?

It is a 2 piece prop shaft and I would really like to loose the centre bearing and the front shaft , however I notice the 2 yokes are a different size so that would be a simple job , least the sliding aspect is in the longer rear shaft so the front could be shortened down to 175mm ? and may still work ?

all for now Paul

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Panic !!!

My rolling chassis won't roll anymore ?

Mystified I jack up each of the front wheels to find I could not turn them ?

Well I rolled it out of the garage to pressure wash engine and gearbox , I can only assume the water has splashed onto the discs and in 4 days they have enough rust on them to stop the wheels turning ?

I will try taking the wheel off and bolting a piece of wood to the wheel studs to see if rocking them will free them ?

Otherwise I assume I will have to take the disc pads out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information