Tribute to Edwardian aero engined cars and Land Speed Record cars of the 1920's - Page 6
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It might be around 1ft or close to it
    I'm not the best welder in the world.... but I'm in the top 5!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bumble bee View Post
    Paul, what is the measurement from front axle centre the front of the chassis. Looking at the chassis and it would be ideal if the leading edge of the chassis not protrude through mu grill.
    If you have time it would be a great help.
    Regards
    Do you want the dimension between the centre of axle to the front of the chassis as seen on this picture ?

are you building something on a Sherpa ?

regards Paul

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its a possibility, I have a gmc pickup body that I want to mount but to use as a truck and not just a rod. So centre of axle to the front of the chassis will allow me to measure the centre of my wheel arch to the front of the wing to see if I have enough clearance without cutting into the chassis which fly's in the face of a re-body.
    Cheers
    Last edited by bumble bee; 11-12-2016 at 20:38.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bumble bee View Post
    Its a possibility, I have a gmc pickup body that I want to mount but to use as a truck and not just a rod. So centre of axle to the front of the chassis will allow me to measure the centre of my wheel arch to the front of the wing to see if I have enough clearance without cutting into the chassis which fly's in the face of a re-body.
    Cheers
    There is approximately 30" between the axle centre and the front of front end cross member.

it is possible to move the axle fwd by 2" also as the spring lengths are different centres to hangers , I understand the Sherpleys did this to improve the looks ?

You need to be very careful which model you buy as it was in production for a very long time and came in a bewildering number of variants.

Mine says 250 CC on V5c which means it was the narrow model and the Chassis/Cab , the 3xx were 'wide' variants no idea what that means dimension wise.

any more questions please ask Paul

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Paul, very helpful, best of luck

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all

Well prop shaft problem solved , Wilson drive shafts made me a one piece with a slip joint ...

Bit boring really as now it is made it sort of just sits there ?

Next to sort out is :-

steering - got to be make link between column and steering box
    gear change - got to make custom remote as currently gear change is planned to be at firewall and so no where near seats [ to allow for bigger engine and box in future ?]
    pipe brakes/clutch to new position

So am going to build mock-up of cockpit with pedals, seats and steering column fitted.

All for now Paul

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting a bit weary of these mechanical issues so have started on a mock OSB board cockpit.

Well I have made a few mistakes , however that was the idea , and learnt a lot...

I could built it in the style of an out and out race car ? these two seats would fit between the chassis rails in the driver/mechanic position giving me a very slim body of about 32" + thickness of 2 sides ?[ Bugatti Type 35 width ]

However I realised I would have no one wanting a ride of more than 10 minutes as you have to ride in the left-hand seat with your right arm behind the drivers seat , I think I read somewhere in the early Grand Prix cars there was a grab handle on the cockpit wall behind the drivers seat for the mechanic to use , not good in a road car.

The only reference I can find (Andre Jute - Designing and building special cars ) saying the Edwardian rule of thumb for width was 16" per seat and 4.5" elbow room ? [ as he points out people were smaller in those days]

that gives 16"+16"+4.5"+4.5" = 41" [ assuming no elbow space between the seats ]
    A Hillman special I found has a width of 43" at the elbows

43" looks quite wide or is it the barest minimum ? or for 2 seats staggered I may get away with less ?

is it ok to mount 1 seat on the floor ? with just runners on the drivers seat ?

Firewall is being cut out and angled foot board added to drivers side [ as I would like a foot bar on the mechanics side ] then pedals fitted so I can see where on the chassis it will end up.

until I determine the hight of the drivers seat I cannot see how close the firewall can be to it.

With the seats at this height I think the body height can be at the 54" from the floor , as shown by the dotted line.

such fun Paul
    Last edited by stormbird; 22-01-2017 at 21:14.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think my pop seats are 19 inches wide with only an inch between them and not much more to the cage so 40 inches overall should be enough for comfort.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    I think my pop seats are 19 inches wide with only an inch between them and not much more to the cage so 40 inches overall should be enough for comfort.
    Interesting , do you find you are touching shoulders with those dimensions ?

regards Paul

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    if i remember correctly i think i am at 42 " Paul.
    Bicester scramble ,Medusa enjoyed the trip.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7I7-nA19U

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in