Tribute to Edwardian aero engined cars and Land Speed Record cars of the 1920's - Page 7
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbird View Post
    Interesting , do you find you are touching shoulders with those dimensions ?

regards Paul
    No - quite roomy - I'll double check measurements tonight

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Only just noticed this thread. a build inspired from one of those "I don't care if I die, I'm gonna be the fastest" land speed record creations, that's just so damn cool!!!! will be watching this thread.
    Grammar,it's the difference between knowing your shit & knowing you're shit

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all

Thanks for your valuable input , been tinkering again !

First up the Bugatti type 35 is considered a 1 1/2 seater with a cockpit width of 32" [ very close to my 34" first try ], this has the following consequences :-

As you can see the driver has ever thing beyond his armpit outside the car , and the passenger has no choice but to hug the driver as the seats are not staggered . not desirable in a road car.

So between 40" and 42" seems to be a comfortable width , a good 20% greater than 34" ?

So this a an attempt at 40" ish , I have actually left 1.5" each side for the thickness of the sides :-

I think I can still have the stagger in both height and distance from front , this allows a bit of creative licence as I can have the seats almost 5" apart and also 1" from the sides and get below 40" even thought the seats are 17" wide ? As the stagger puts the shoulders overlapping in the 5" space between the seats but the drivers in front of the mechanics so there is no conflict.

Before you ask with increasing age comes deafness and combined with the wind noise probably means a intercom/radio anyway so the stagger will only be mildly annoying I hope oh and BLOODY cool ?

Central portion of firewall , just enough to mount pedals on and will be cut vertically on the red lines as I think it can be the same width as the chassis , it is not high enough yet.

This will allow me to determine my eye line and where I want the cockpit/dashboard and then I can experiment with a separate curved bit I can just screw to the top , if I get the curve wrong just make a new top bit instead of scrapping the whole firewall and having to start again ...... well that’s the theory

Sort of where pedals will be going when I have determined the width and so where the drivers seat is.
    gear stick was offset in van to right , however there are other holes in the gear stick remote to mount it vertically

Engine side using original radiator , looks like it would be better swapped for a taller , narrower one ? any ideas which one ?
    That would allow a greater slope on the piece of wood running from the firewall to radiator in the approximate position of the bonnet sides.

So the side view , as you can see the firewall is not up against the engine ?

2 reasons.

a) plenty of room and space in the body , so free space here could maybe used for battery/tools one side and internal spare wheel the other ?

b) expansion space for bigger engine !!! should be able to get a 6 pot in if needs be and by trimming the floor boards accommodate it's gearbox....

Forward planning who'ave thunk it ?

regards Paul
    Last edited by stormbird; 23-01-2017 at 21:58.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just checked Pop, 42" between the cage, 40" across the widest part of the seats. Plenty of room as long as you are std size person.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    Just checked Pop, 42" between the cage, 40" across the widest part of the seats. Plenty of room as long as you are std size person.
    Thanks for taking the trouble to measure this for me , I see your in the swamp up to your armpits in alligators so I wish you luck with your test...

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got some useful parts this week ?

Couple Aero-screens off Ebay nicely patinated.

These are from a LDV van :-

The one at the back is off the LDV the one at the front the Sherpa original , as you can see the original only has 1 U/J , the new one has exactly the same splines and length but has 2 U/J's so much easier to modify to fit

this is a guess at where the top of the bonnet may be if I kept the current drivers seat height of 4" from the floor [ + 1 inch for some runners ] the firewall will be 34" wide however I need to find a nice curve to get up to the top of the bonnet.
    I may have to resort to Ivanhoew's trick with his grill and torch ?

This will put the top of the cowl approx 55 inches from the ground , a big baby

Need to get a different radiator , I will take the existing one to Mansfield radiators and see what they recommend obviously I want one narrower and taller and I assume of the same surface area ?

regards Paul

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    need to get a grill
    Bicester scramble ,Medusa enjoyed the trip.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7I7-nA19U

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Turn the radiator on end, 30% cooling upgrade for free as well.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanhoew View Post
    need to get a grill
    Nah grills are for posh folks

Some thing more like this :-

or this ?

or maybe this ?

regards Paul

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Turn the radiator on end, 30% cooling upgrade for free as well.
    Well I did wonder about that , however it is 30+ years old , so maybe a new/newer one would not be a bad idea anyway ?

regards Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information