Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

VW MK1 Caddy VW V8

883 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  WB54 
#1 ·
Good afternoon all

It has been a while since I have been on the forum, it has been a busy year. Moved house at the start of the year and since then built a good size workshop/chop shop at the house :)

As some of you have seen on my previous post that has a few pics on it of my project, I am now getting back to the project and get it pushed on.

During the planning stage of the caddy, I struggled to find a cheap enough front end to take the weight of the SBC weight etc, I ended up going with a mk5 Cortina front subframe, this worked well but I never like the front suspension set up, plus its big and bulky, anyway. I have now spoke to Mark at Wisbech engineering and ordered a new IFR set up for the front, I should have done this right at the start to be honest, hopefully the IFS will be ready to collect in the next few weeks. Chassis will need to be slightly modified in order to fit new IFS but all good.

I am looking to buy a WELD in rear parallel 4 link kit asap, I have seen a few online over in the states but looking to see if anyone on here can point me in the right direction for a UK dealer?
something like this - https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1935-40-Ford-Four-Bar-Rear-Suspension-Kit,5870.html

If anyone can point me in the right direction please let me know.

Cheers

Jamie

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks for your input guys, I will get a look at the rally design kit. My new IFS will be ready to collect in 3 weeks time, I will then be looking to modify the sump so I can get the engine a little lower in the subframe. The standard sump is massive, does anyone know if I can buy a shallow sump or possibly chop my standard one, say I take a few inches off it but then add wings on the sump so that it still holds the same quantity of oil?

If anyone can give advice please let me know, I will be uploading more pics over the weekend

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.