Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  28
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    wouldn't it help to get a midget screen surround to start with? either secondhand or probably available repro, or at least the scuttle will be.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now ! seventhheaven's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    wouldn't it help to get a midget screen surround to start with? either secondhand or probably available repro, or at least the scuttle will be.
    neil.
    Got one. The midget surround is a bit useless in that it bolts on. The bottom section is just a U channel and a large bit of rubber. The side pillars might be useful for hammer forming but that's it. The U section springs out of shape as you disassemble so it not even much good as a profile guide.
    Ask me to fix something and I'll come at ya with a hammer!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    I've started the scuttle, the basic shape is there but it still needs a bit of straightening.

The individual parts were pretty good - right up until I welded them.

You can see in the shot above that the triple curved scuttle section has a fair bit of twisting.

With the rear panel in place the top edge is roughly right, but I've not started to remove the twisting.

I'm using BMW hinges recessed into the bulkhead, that should lift the bonnet clear of the scuttle.

Straightening it is probably going to take quite a while.

Read more here
    Bespoke Steel Scuttle - Super 7th Heaven

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drop Kev a line and see if you can join us in the BIVA page. The guide will help and all of us are getting an in depth knowledge of how or how not to build for BIVA. Some of the things you may think you need you may not, and there are things they'll look for you possibly didn't know about. I passed 17th Dec after a few issues, but they were partly my own fault. Your car looks well built and planned so should do fine with a few tweaks. Incidentally, if you have a Rover block is easy enough to get proof of age, and if as you say p5 or p6 will be just a visible smoke test.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    After a few set-backs, I finally got back out in the garage to sort out the scuttle.

It took a fair bit of time to straighten the scuttle as the compound curves made it rather strong. It was also tricky to get in with tools.

I've made a start on the passenger side door pillar. Where all the curves join touch a couple attempts.

I now take some templates so I can get the passenger side somewhere similar.

read more here:
    Windscreen Surround - Super 7th Heaven

Instead of a Midget / Lucas wiper box, I'm using a modern set-up from a BMW. I've tweaked it so the driver's wiper moves just over 90degs, whereas the passenger wiper moves faster and closer to 150degs.
    Using my tweaked wiper setup should in theory (yet to try), give me more screen coverage, 2 speeds, intermittent and a tiny motor to hide.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    It's official, the Doc's have banned me from driving (in case I die at the wheel), so I'll never drive it - but I'm still going

I've done a bit more on the cowl.
    I wasn't happy with the scuttle as it looked like it had been cut from a '70s saloon. It didn't look very '30's Hot Rod.

I extended the sides to add some support for the BMW e46 gas ram bonnet hinges.
    These side extensions will get cut up quite a bit as the heater vent will pass through them into the side bonnet vents.

These side extensions seemed to ruin the aesthetics even more.
    With the curved screen and the modern hinges everything Hot Rod was missing.

I wasn't too pleased. As a metal newbie, fab work doesn't come easy. When it comes out looking wrong it's not good.

I even dropped the wireframe over the top - but that didn't help.

Somehow, with the bonnet slam edge propped crudely in place, I can see the final shape.

So I'm 80% happy again.
    The '37 Ford'esq shape is coming back.

That vertical pole behind the radiator is what I mount my laser line to. I also tie a piece of fishing wire around it as a crude measuring device.
    If a tiny knot hits in the same place on both sides, plus on the laser line / lines, it might sound crude, but I think it's good for less than 1mm.

I might build a permanent frame around the car that does nothing other than provides mounts for laser levels. I'll shine a grid at the car.

What is amazing is that everything can move countless mm (even when clamped) when I weld it. I then spend the rest of the day straightening everything only to knacker it again with the next weld.

How do the pros do it?

read more here
    Last edited by seventhheaven; 11-03-2019 at 22:13.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    "How do the pros do it?" Big hammer slices and clamps, same as we all do........................................

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bugger about never getting to drive it , been close a few times and am still on a 28 day license suspended at the mo

Haven't you got anyone can can at least drive you about in it ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Haven't you got anyone can can at least drive you about in it ?
    Soz, to hear about your close calls. - oh to be young again!

The wife would drive me, but to be honest I love car shows, I like rummaging at swap meets, I like building cars, but the drive there...... well I can take it leave it.
    NSRA swap meet this sunday, whoop whoop - taking the missus on a romantic weekend!
    I've had a few interesting motors but unless at a show, I was often shy getting out of them. - I'm bit of an introvert into extrovert stuff.
    If I sold it and it funded a better build next time - that's happiness!

12. LikesPiguin liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    I've nearly finished the driver's side inner wing.

I ran out of gas and everywhere was shut.

It's better than the first, but far from perfect. C+ for effort - must try harder

I had a 'rusted beyond realistic rescue' bonnet from an Austin, so I thought I's cut it up to see if I could use the nose section.

Unfortunately, the edges were too vertical - not to mention foil thin.

To make the bonnet, I'll start by making the slam panel and the internal framework.

I have no clue how the pro's do it - it's just what the voices in my head tell me to do.

There are still lots of pieces either cleco'd or tack welded. So I think I'll have a weekend making everything solid.

Everything has a tendency to move and flop around at the moment
    - a real pain when you have a bunch of lasers and spirit levels trying to get both sides to match.

Before I can realistically make the bonnet, I need to tie the two inner wings together. I'll do that with the internal grill framework.

I have (for some reason) a brand new bonnet catch from an MGF - so I'll use that.

I'll also make some crude 'engineers sweeps' - so I can get various profiles somewhere close.

My wireframe is now looking a little tired.

read more here

14. Likesbrading liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information