Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    funny as ****
    Yeah, can't help keep laughing

Amazing build mind! Hot Rodding at its finest
    It must be totally absorbing, designing, creating, learning skills and taking a step back to say "yeah baby, I did that!"
    Last edited by Kustom Jim; 14-05-2019 at 06:32.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now ! seventhheaven's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    I've not done much recently, due to health and time, but I've started to create the profile for the bonnet.

You can just about see the 5mm bars I'm using to guess the profile.
    They are just Duct taped in place. If you can't fix it with Duct Tape - You ain't using enough Duct Tape!

I bent them around my buck, but unfortunately that's been under a hole in the roof and has swelled up and split.
    It's 2.5" taller at the back than at the front.

I think I'll make the bonnet a little more shallow at the front, a bit like this '37 lookalike.

I think I'll change the slope from 1.5 degs to closer to 3.

I've finished the second air cleaner and started the front support for the horizontal grille bars.
    They might only be £6 Chinese filters, but boy do they go up in flames fast when you put an Oxy torch near them!

It's still far from anywhere near complete, but slowly slowly....

I think once I have these panels complete, I'll throw some mud and paint at them.
    A. to stop them rusting
    B. Because some panels, seem pretty straight, yet look like they've been given a blooming good kicking in photos.

There's more here:

More work on the Grille - Super 7th Heaven
    Grille and Slam Panel - Super 7th Heaven

I know I'll never be allowed to drive this car, but it's hard not to keep an eye on the BIVA spec. Therefore, I've 'blunted' a couple edges 'just in case'.

I'm not going to be doing any panels that will be particularly visible on the completed car for quite some time - I'm only doing the structure and framework but I don't want to be doing too many jobs twice.
    Last edited by seventhheaven; 28-05-2019 at 09:05.
    Ask me to fix something and I'll come at ya with a hammer!

4. Likes46beddy liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really impressive. Thanks for sharing.

6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chaley View Post
    I’m not sure, but I thought gen 1’s lights where VW beetle anyway??
    Chaley
    You were right! Just seen a Beetle lighted version - That thing's way more cross eyed than the one I saw last week!

I've measured up my scrap Mini bonnet and No they don't quite sit in line (as expected) they actually point outwards?!? WTF!
    I recon Morgan fit LHD units swapped side to side - either that or I've got to be really careful with my wing sculpting!
    I suspect there's some real mind trickery going on here!

The wrong shaped wing behind these headlamps could make this car look like it's been slapped with the ugly stick!

My wing shape is going to be Morgan'esque and my wooden buck was made without measurements.
    "Oh look there's that crossed eye Hot Rod again!" - "Tommy, he's looking at me! Looking at me!"
    Last edited by seventhheaven; 30-05-2019 at 09:34.

8. LikesKing Herald liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    One step forward, 10 steps back.

Since I've decided to change my bonnet profile, my wooden buck is now useless.

I therefore started the internal framework for the bonnet with no reference.

Of all the things to make endless mistakes on, I had to pick the one that took ages at each step.

I made the bonnet braces, only to realise the profile needs to be tapered front to back.

The front of the brace sticks out - that was until I realised I could angle the brace to the bonnet side - doh!

I then made four identical braces, only to realise the front two were completely useless.

The profile of the front two is going to be nothing like the rear ones. The bonnet is essentially cone shaped, so the front two will be a scaled version of the rears.

My initial plan was to cut the bottom off the curves. However that would leave a sharp angle where the bonnet flowed into the sides.

Also, it didn't dawn on me that the braces I'd made would make a staircase shaped bonnet. I needed to lean them forward to allow a smooth bonnet top.

I was hoping to have an opening internal framework by now - dream on!

Oh well...... back to the drawing board.

Maybe a holiday will give me the motivation I need.

Bespoke Bonnet - Super 7th Heaven
    Last edited by seventhheaven; 04-06-2019 at 07:37.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A rhd light will still be a rhd light regardless of the side it's bolted to, the dipped beam kickup will still be on the nearside... So swapping lights side to side shouldn't be an issue...... Depending on the amount of beam adjustment inside the housings you could mount them angled or square as long as the beam goes in the right direction.... ��

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mark, great job so far . Just trying to save you a lot of frustration but IMHO you would be better of making your bonnet skin first {as this is the visual part .( It would be a shame to skin a lovely inner frame ,to find the bonnet profile isn't how you would like it ).If your happy to keep going on the inner frame then I have a profile gauge that might be long enough to run front to back .Let me know if this would help. Or another thought , make an external buck for one side of the bonnet then duplicate your frame for the other side ???. its a VERY frustrating job but the bonnet is the main focal point IMHO. Keep up the great work. Mark.

12. Likesblackpopracing liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Hi Mark, that the difference between years of experience and skill and blundering incompetence.
    My last weekends work was a perfect example of blundering incompetence. The morning was spent standing and staring thinking how the blooming eck do I do this, followed by several hours of repeated failure.
    My mind has trouble picturing shapes in 3D, hence me resorting to the braces.
    I could bend a big sheet of tin, but chances are that's going to be a big waste of a sheet of tin.

The plan was to create a metal 'brace' equivalent of a wireframe (for the whole car in fact). I was going to create several more braces.

The front to back profile is OK, apart from the nose cone it's flat. So angle iron is fine as a profile gauge.
    The sideways curve is sort of set by the MG Midget screen. I cut a profile gauge for that - my Midget screen is wonky and far from symmetrical - good ole '70's BL!
    I could blend that curve out in a V shape but that confuses me.

I did think about a reverse buck for the nose, but to make that I'd need to somehow take a mould off my wooden buck. - all confusing stuff.

Since I made the braces and realised they needed a different profile front to back, I angle'd them on the car in a V. I've now worked out that doesn't 100% work either as the centre is further back than the front and therefore requires a different profile. Therefore, all four aren't scrap, but they currently aren't the right shape.

Definitely a weekend of blunder!

After hols I might come over and pester you for some much needed advice! There's only so much I can learn from Youtube!
    Last edited by seventhheaven; 04-06-2019 at 08:00.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information