Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Worlds most normal speed rebuild

9K views 71 replies 21 participants last post by  RobScott 
#1 ·
:D yep the normal car rebuild not fastest but damn im happy

Brought this of my frined who i brought the moggie of on ebay as same may of seen its a

1974 mk3 cortina Ghia four door

when i brought it, it had already started its transformation put paul then well worked and got lazy and it got stored in his barn, came with the slotted mags, new tyres all round, rear spoiler, side pipe, V6 2.8 granny and the hilborn scoop all for £1100 bargin

so easy job right ! new battery petrol and 2 core plugs easy OHHHH

so change the core plugs exhaust manifolds in the way get them off 3days of heat and patsy clineing lmao

well heres some pics enjoy

#3 ·
SO after i thought ill fit new exhaust studs what happened yeah that last stud went SNAP so heads off job so cleaned the pistons bay and then cracked on with a list of things

TO DO

change cracked steering gaitor
sort wiring lights,
slow deflating front wheel
welding
exhaust brackets as they scrap on the floor sometimes
clean seats
rebuild heads /stud extract (drill and easy out)
check all nuts bolts
make electric fan bracket
clean
over the car with hammer = find more welding
rear wheel leaking brake fluid
change all core plugs
speedo cable
etc etc im geting bored typing lol

so then the welding OH DEAR

#5 · (Edited)

then i lost a few pictures but sorted that out then had taaken that door and wing off to get a clear view of whats going

then i checked the bore's again after waiting for my uncle to come round for 2weeks and found with my boss'es new bore gauge tool it was over 14-16thou on piston ring wear so thought lets just re build the lot so engine out and stripped was very fun and easy how i love the smell of car engine oil

#14 ·
the badge begs to differ but it is just a badge looks like its genuine fitment unless mk3 and 4 have the same glovebox door i dont know 1st tina a 2000 XL on the logbook

anyway the drain holes was welded up and spoiler was painted and it being plastic and not keyed yep the paint was flakey and someone tried to get some of it of with a scrapper yep chunks taken out so the plastic filler was out and 4 dusty scooters later and some plaster filler primer looks ok

#9 ·
Well done Ash, good to see you youngsters getting stuck in.
It's amazing how you can think a car looks solid, then when you start digging you end up chasing rust all over & start thinking, my god where's this gonna end.
Don't worry about using galvanized steel I've used it years ago when money was tight (still is). Hell I've even used old road signs :eek: when desperate.
I love the Mk3's, my oldest son Matt has got one 80% finished but lost interest in it a couple of years ago when he bought his pickup, which is now also in bits :slap::lol:
Keep the updates coming, like you say not everyone can afford to pay someone to do the work for them, it's how we learned, nothing a big hammer & a bit of steel can't fix.
:tup:Chucks

#11 · (Edited)
Wondered when you'd get around to posting these up. Nice to see you getting on with it but how come when we chatted about it at Bakewell it was nearly there and now it's, ummmm... not? Don't answer that! Surprising what was under all that shiny purple paint, looked good in the pic's, like Chucks said tho' and I think we've all been there... As for welding galv', you probably know better anyway, but just make sure you grind the coating off before welding or the smoke is highly toxic - doesn't smell nice and can be extremely painful if it infects your kidneys, experience speaking :shake:

Nearly forgot to say; you could always make life easy and build it like a true seventies custom 'Tina... cereal packets, chicken wire and filler - that's not far off how the magazines taught you back in the day!

#12 ·
Nearly forgot to say; you could always make life easy and build it like a true seventies custom 'Tina... cereal packets, chicken wire and filler - that's not far off how the magazines taught you back in the day!

thats the only saving grace to how its a good thing that we "dont" do that anymore lol

#21 · (Edited)
Here you go mate, in your other thread you asked after the definition of hot rod... well, if you want to use the terminology of the day (from way back when) according to Hot Car, in an article entitled "Eight ways to rod" your Cortina is a "street machine". They've even drawn a picture of how they think it should look... shame it's in black and white as I bet it's supposed to be metallic purple...

The date on the mag'? Back when your motor was practically new, June 1977.
Anyway, hope you like it as I couldn't look at this without thinking of you beavering away on such a similar project all these years later. Proof that style never goes out of fashion?

#23 ·
so next i took the engine bay wiring loom out to re wire some and wrap the loom in blue as the old was naff and a couple of nights ago i thought my rear lights was dull and well pants so while watching a car film i smoothed the alloy cast with 1200 wet and d ry then polished them with the paste autosoil i think the light should be about 30% brighter as the light will reflect and bounce out than sitting on the dull alloy :)

#25 · (Edited)
So im still waiting on my engine at the reborers :( but up ahnd ade my polisher give me my hilborn and steering wheel and yes polished alloy thou the wheel looks chromed :D

so i know people put bandanas round there steering centre so i thought be differnet i cut and filed a round cirularplate and countersunk a hole in the middle which will screw in to the shaft :)
so still bored abit of painting started one scoop looking like it fell off noddys little red and yellow rod :lol:

i had then finished the spoiler looks alot better but the car anit a minter so paint is naff in places/// oh well

And when the sun was out hand polished with use of 800 1000 1500 sand paper aswell im happy :)

#27 ·
i had then finished the spoiler looks alot better but the car anit a minter so paint is naff in places/// oh well

I've had near perfect cars and 40 footers and I know which I prefer, if they are too good and too valuable they are almost unusable. Great work, keep it up, you're learning more than you realise.

Rog.

#29 ·
Hello Ash,
I love old Tinas, Where I'm from (Newcastle, Australia) they were always just called Cordies and Came stock with 4.1Litre straight sixes, my TF Cordie (Mark 4, I think) was Kermit green and had the semi race 4.1 bored to +60 thou, alloy cross flow head with EFI and Tri Y headers feeding a top loader four speed and a BTR 78 LSD axle, It was a driver and as Cordies and salt air don't mix, it didn't last long but was a blast while it lasted, Friday and Saturday nights on the "Foreshore"(local Cruise) and "Kooragang Island"(Local street Drags) Cordies vs Torries(Holden Toranas, 4.2L V8 Vauxhall Vivas)

It's great to see youngins that are interested in something other than French hatchbacks and Thanks for sparking those memories.

Rick

#42 ·
YES IM A CHILD BUT I ALWAYS WANTED ONE A CB RADIO YEAHHHHHHH
Omg the CB pics just lifted a cloud on a whole section of my life! Kids now can communicate in a millisecond but I can remember when we used to have to arrange to be "in" a phone box at a certain day/time for when mate/relative/girlfriend was gonna call. Had to arrange it at the previous meet up when you would next get to speak.
Kid next door got a MK3 tina in metallic purple with a CB. He had the sun visor sticker in green with "MICKEY" and "TRACEY" in big white letters. He suddenly became king of the street. Everyone crowded round his car just so we could hear someone talk without prior arrangement.
What was it... One Nine a copy? to see if anyone was there. Usually just kids harrassing poor truckers.
Everyones TV used to go fuzzy when he used it. My dad used to come out of house and shout him to pack it in :lol
I bought a CB of a mate that had been doctored with extra channels. Super High, Super Low or something. Never found anybody on the but it was like a bragging thing how many channels you could get.
Would have been around '82 as I remember we would sit at end of street looking for new X reg capris which were out and looked great. Cars used to backfire a lot then and people used to drive on tyres until the wire came through.
Oh happy days.

Keep up the good work lambretta_ash.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.