Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, saying that, a few years ago I had an idea of doing lands end to john o'groates on 50cc scooters.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict lambretta_ash's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    SO today the boss gave me what i asked/order a month ago MY EXHAUST STUBS / PLATES what ever you what to call them and there pretty now to plan the turns and ask someone to turn them for maybe a favour lol if not cut and weld

I ALSO had to take the bloody tank out again for some reason a second pin hole came but was slower so scrapped all the paint off the area and it looked like a teenager with acnee :haha: so brazied a piece of tin on and then put some por15 tank sealent on as we had some at work left not much for a tank but great for the area

WARNING DONT TRY AT HOME UNLESS YOU DEFUME THE TANK OR KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING AS I DIDNT JUST BRAIZE STRAIGHT AWAY

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    no matter what engine u run standard or tuned alway have one of these babies magnitic drain plug this one can hold 1kg here is a 650gram rat ****

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Lee
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's amazing what comes out of your sump, but I've never seen a ratchet.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That ratchet couldn’t have come out of a lambretta sump, could it!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Hiya

What power and model number is the Midland CB? and is it a legal one?

Have you got a proper aerial for it? If not and you use a standard car aerial it will not work properly and you may damage the output power transistors. This is because the aerial. has to be tuned to the correct frequency.

There should be a "trimmer" on the CB wich when adjusted with the correct aerial should show a higher reading when transmitting on the SWR meter.

PM me if you need any help with this. I'm a bit rusty but it should come bak to me.

... Jon
    Last edited by Chunky; 11-11-2012 at 21:58.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
    Hiya

What power and model number is the Midland CB? and is it a legal one?

Have you got a proper aerial for it? If not and you use a standard car aerial it will not work properly and you may damage the output power transistors. This is because the aerial. has to be tuned to the correct frequency.

There should be a "trimmer" on the CB wich when adjusted with the correct aerial should show a higher reading when transmitting on the SWR meter.

PM me if you need any help with this. I'm a bit rusty but it should come bak to me.

... Jon
    hi jon i believe its legal as brought via ebay TK Truck King Radios
    its a midland 48plus with a 34" springer / coil whip i know longer is better EUUU MISSUS and ive got a SWR 10w -100w meter running via the patch lead is that a ok good set up swr info says to run at 1 ??? 1 what theres 4 of them lol

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Hi
    I've looked at the spec of your CB and it is legal. In the early day CB's came with varying power outputs, sometimes upto 1kw or more. This caused all sort of interferance problems because of what is call harmonic interference. This basically mean if there is more than one frequency being transmitted at the same time when theses are added they interfer with emergency services radios. To counter this UK laws were passed limiting the power output of CB's to 4 watts which is what yours is.

I've copied the following from Yahoo which should explain. But in summary the aerial has to be matched /"Tuned" (1:1 which I think is what you've been told as set it to 1)for both high and low Frequency ranges. It can be difficult to get it perfect across all the ranges because for a specific frequency/ channel the aerial should be a specific length. Yours is 34" which won't be correct for the full range but can be tuned to get an optimum reading at the channels you use most. Anyway have a read below and if you need anymore help drop me a line or call me on 07775 80 80 40

What sort of aerial mount have you got as the bigger the metal surface under the aerial the better, which is why we used to see them in the middle of the roof.

Sorry it's long winded.

... Jon

"Tuning a CB radio is fairly difficult. The antenna (aerial) has to be adjusted just right or else the SWR will be unbalanced, which can actually mess up the radio. This how-to is just to teach you how to tune the antenna using an SWR meter.
    First of all, make sure that all the doors and the trunk are closed. Then, park your car at least 10 yards away from any big buildings, other cars, or trees. Also, make sure no one is standing close to the car. Any of these can mess up the reading. Now, you have to attach the meter in between the antenna and the CB. Using shorter coax cables, attach the antenna to the ANT end of the SWR meter, and the CB to the other end. Now that it is attached, check for the switch on the meter that can be set to FWD or REF. Set it to FWD. Now turn the CB to channel 1, and key the microphone. Adjust the knob labeled SET until the needle reaches full. Now that this is done, turn the switch to REF. Key the microphone again. Record this number, and then switch the CB to channel 40. Key the microphone again, and then record this setting. Very important: The microphone must be the same distance from the meter each time you key it. The objective here is to get the two numbers to a perfect 1:1 ratio. However, as long as the ratio is under around 1.4:1, you will be ok. My CB, after tuning, is now around a 1.1 or 1.2:1. This simply means that the numbers either match or are very close to matching. Now we go on to tuning.

If your SWR reading was higher on channel 40 than it was on channel 1, then it simply means the antenna is too long. If it was higher on channel 1 than it was on channel 40, it is too short. This is really easy to change if you own a tunable-tip antenna. If you own an antenna like this, you can simply unlock the tip and raise or lower the antenna. Continue tuning until you reach a good ratio. If you own a fiberglass whip antenna, it is a little more difficult. First, you have to remove the tip and cut until you can access the wire coil. If it needs to be shortened, you have to begin cutting in around ¼" increments until it is correct. Now, if it is too long, you have to take the top coil and continue moving it out in slight increments until it is correct.

Tuning a CB can take a lot of time, and it is fairly difficult. However, once it is done, they are a lot of fun. If tuned correctly, you will get the most life out of your radio and the most distance and clarity out of your antenna.
    Last edited by Chunky; 11-11-2012 at 23:48.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went on cb on day one, november 81, cycled about 6 miles to get it, binatone 5 start top of the range, cost about £125 !! Alot of money then, still got it and loads more!
    "IF IT WASN'T FOR THE HISTORY WE WOULDN'T HAVE A PAST".....
    HUNDREDS OF RODDING MAGZ ALWAYS 4 SALE, PM ME YOUR WANTED LIST...
    CHECKOUT MY LATEST MAGZ ETC
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/hotrodmags/

Semi Proffessional Prat sidspop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Ash, give me a shout when you want your CB doing, I have quite some experience. Plus it's about time I came and drank your coffee.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information