Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Depression

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That wasn't aimed at you but anyone trying to help someone with depression. Obviously being married is different but I've had to do stuff that went against my nature, and instincts, to help .

My mother had depression from when I was around 9 for all her life so I know what it's like to live with.
    Last edited by kapri; 02-10-2018 at 23:22.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    At last it's now being recognised by Govts worldwide as a huge issue. One problem is that the term "depression" is used to cover the spectrum between the blues that we all feel at some time, to clinical depression which is another thing altogether.

Not only are you caring, you're doing a vital job. But as anybody who has an inkling of this unrelenting pressure knows, you need to grab 'me time' where you can (tinkering with a vehicle?), or even if it's just sounding off on this forum.

All the very best.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys.. Just grabbed a bit of bottle to post on this.
    I've been suffering (if that's the right word) from depression for a a good few years.
    It's a c*** to be honest.. One minute you're fine.. ish, the next you're planning your demise.
    It can be a lonely place sometimes, it gets you even when your texts don't get answered.
    I've had a go at ending it.. Obviously it didn't work and a very selfish act it was IMO.
    I'm riding through it by having some me time (in the garage with plenty of music)
    And with the support of the missus and a few mates.
    I'm not looking for sympathy.. Far from it
    Depression hits a lot of people in many ways.. Sufferers and carers.
    I'm just saying to look out for your mates / family.. And always try to encourage or support them.
    You never know what's happening in their heads.

God bless
    All The Gear - No Fookin Idea

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a huge depression thread on here years back now deleted on the request of the OP, reading it I discovered I too am suffering from the attention of the Black Dog, but the summer is coming and that bloody mutt don't like it so onwards and upwards...
    There are friends who know how tough the last couple of years have been for me.... It's still tough but tha sunny warmish week we had really picked me up for a while and i am hoping for a good summer this year.
    "…si quid habet mammas vel rotas, res habebis difficiles aliquando,"
    "Carpe diem" -Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65 BC – 8 BC).

What Would the Dude Do?

7. Likeskapri, alleykat liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It takes serious courage to first recognise the Black Dog - in oneself AND in others... It takes even more courage to speak out in a thread such as this, whether it is as someone the dog is chasing, or whether you/we are doing the best to support someone who's being chased.

What's equally hard is trying to do the best for someone you love for who's having the life sucked out of them by a seemingly significant other who's apparenty happy to announce they're suffering, but then chip away constantly bringing down your family member without them recognising it (you become an interfering *** who "doesn't understand").

I salute (and will stand alongside) anyone who's 'kicking the dog'! Brave men and women, all!

9. Likesalleykat, stu460 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil McNasty View Post
    There was a huge depression thread on here years back now deleted on the request of the OP, reading it I discovered I too am suffering from the attention of the Black Dog, but the summer is coming and that bloody mutt don't like it so onwards and upwards...
    There are friends who know how tough the last couple of years have been for me.... It's still tough but tha sunny warmish week we had really picked me up for a while and i am hoping for a good summer this year.
    That thread was one of the best things ever posted on this forum and helped a great many people. I'm still in contact with the OP ( of that thread) and he's still getting on , and through ,life . I don't think dealing with the dog is ever over ,it's more about keeping him at a distance where he can't bite.

11. Likesdrseg, stu460, willkauffman liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately the wrong side of the country to me but if you are in the south-west maybe you can catch a glimpse of the True 600 Challenge driving a traction engine from Stafford to Cornwall and back.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...1388869261001/

Great cause, a really nice family and team.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not posted on here for months, I have just completed the process of leaving work after being off work with stress anxiety and depression for many months, I was a teacher in secondary for 30 years. 2 years ago I would have laughed at anyone telling me I would not be able to face getting up in the morning and going to work. It gradually crept up on me until I couldn't function. Fortunately my wife was supportive throughout and I got great support from my GP and a therapist. I am much better now but as kapri says I dont think I will be ever be completely better, just coping with it better. To add to the stress we moved house to release some equity, so I could have some time away from work, however it has turned in to a massive renovation project, which has kept me physically and mentally active. The new house had a tiny 8 x 16 garage which just fitted the car in, so no chance of any work on it, couldn't even get round it to clean it off. The new 12 x 22 sectional garage arrived last week so much more space but it has only been used for painting bedroom doors as yet. Did get out in the car in the great weather at Easter which made me feel much better. Will get back to sorting some minor problems with the car this summer, the brake servo has started to stick on again and I need to fit some new radiator fans to keep it cool in slow moving traffic. Each week I feel better and am testament to the fact that you do feel better, eventually, with help and support.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in