Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Diabetes

As it's often weight related how many on here suffer and which version ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    had a stroke last year found out later i had type 2 i was just under 15 stone 5f 10" put on metformin
    now ten months later just under 12 stone bloods are normal age 56
    when i was a kid you didn' t have to say ; don't try this at home ; because we weren't complete morons back then

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was diagnosed border line diabetic about 18 months ago.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Type 2 but i’m Working on it...lost 2 stone and cut my meds right down.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Type 2 on the max tablets (9 tablets a day )on the cusp of insulin , i have very little excess weight to lose im 5 10 and just under 13 stone

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    insulin and tablets last 40 years and maybe coul still loose a few pounds....such is life

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Type 2 diagnosed around 2005 was nearly 20 stone. Put on Metformin and Gliclazide, and Statins and told to cut down on Fats but eat the foods on the NHS Plate and exercise more. Was advised to research to become an 'expert' in order to tell the doc about the condition. Meds had little effect gained more weight but to be fair didn't do much exrecise as had knee issues because was waiting for knee replacement surgery. Did some research and reported back to doc who wasn't happy that I was challenging the treatment.

Did more research and found out about the Ketogenic lifestyle. Have been trying to stick to that with good success reduced weight from 127kg to currently 99kg. Waist size from46" tto currently 38/40".

Blood sugars (BS) were in the high teen now down between 6 - 8. Never had a Hypo. Worked out by testing myself after eating individual food types what makes my BS rise and try to avoid eating that.

It's very hard to stick rigidly to an eating plan when other people are involved, but I have to try.

Since the knee ops (both knees replaced) I've had Kidney stones removed along with a growth on one kidney, found when they removed the stones, that luckily turned out benign but last february had an incident where I had a feeling of a slight pressure around my throat and my daughter said I went a weird colour. I'd been replacing 16ft 8x3 joists under her kitchen floor when it happened. A visit to the hospital confirmed I'd had a heart attack and after further tests I was admitted for quadruple bypass surgery. All this makes me think a lot about my mortality and so helps me focus more on what I should be doing. I was 70 5 days ago and feel tons better than I did at 58 yrs old, so onward and upwards.

Turns out the diet the NHS said to eat has changed now to the one I found through research and the NHS nd doc weren't happy with. It was based on flawed research years ago back when they were looking to get everyone using veg oils instead of butter. Sugar was added at the same time because without it the 'food' wouldn't taste as appealing, which is why most processed foodstuffs contain masses of sugar.

With diabetes it's not the sugar per se it our body's ability to deal with it.

Keep healthy folks. Jon
    Last edited by Chunky; 22-09-2018 at 01:34.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"

10. Likeskapri, timbo56 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting Jon and good results there especially surviving teh heart attack !!

A diabetic friend also swear by the Keto diet . I've been diabetic for 3 years, haven't done a thing about it apart from cutting out sugar in my coffee and yjhe one fizzy drink I used to treat myslef to a week. Lost 15kg overall in 18 months.

HBA1C went up to 78 but is holding back at 68 now which is where it's been for years.

My pancreas is screwed , literally twisted and scarred from pancreatitis medicice related attack 30 years ago . Plus it has a tumour hanging from it which involves an 8 hour op that will probably kill me anyway.

Another mate was on tablets and discovered one of the side effects was making him GAIN weight ??

Started on metformin a week ago , took one tablet and, as usual had a rare one in 100,000 side effct happen within 3 hours

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
    Type 2 diagnosed around 2005 was nearly 20 stone. Put on Metformin and Gliclazide, and Statins and told to cut down on Fats but eat the foods on the NHS Plate and exercise more. Was advised to research to become an 'expert' in order to tell the doc about the condition. Meds had little effect gained more weight but to be fair didn't do much exrecise as had knee issues because was waiting for knee replacement surgery. Did some research and reported back to doc who wasn't happy that I was challenging the treatment.
    Having spent a week in hospital earlier this year I wouldn't think hospital food is that healthy, most of it seemed to be processed food with a fattening pudding at each meal apart from breakfast which consisted of heavily sugar laden cereals, added to this more biscuits were dished out in a week than I'd been eating in a couple of months.
    I'm a bit confused about you having diabetes and being given statins, I thought one of the main side effects of statins can be diabetes. Since my hospital incarceration and heart problem diagnosis I've been prescribed statins although I am very reluctant to take them as my normal cholesterol levels are all mid way on the recommended levels.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Yes the NHS seem to have an approach of 'one size fits all' regarding healthy eating. When I was admitted the nurses were great asking me if I had any special food requirements so I told them I was trying to keep to a ketogenic lifestyle. The response was classic. "What's that?" After a lengthy discussion informing them what I ate they said Good luck with that but we'll pass on your requests.

Breakfast arrived, choice of An aApple or piece of fruit, Porridge or Cornflakes or Toast and jam. I couldn't eat anything offered. When I declined and told them why the Serving Auxillaries said are you not hungry so I told them why I couldn't eat anything offered. Later after having no breakfast the Catering Manager came up from the kitchen concerned they had a dissatisfied customer and what was this Ketogenic lifestyle I spent another 1/2 an hour telling him. He then said what did I usually eat for breakfast I said 1/2 an Avocado and a couple of boiled eggs and a piece of cheese. His face was a picture. He asked what I ate for lunch. I said Broccoli or cauliflower with melted cheese, or a ham, beef or cheese salad. He thought I could be accomodated with that.

Lunch came 1 floret of cauliflower with cheese on sweetcorn and a Big portion of Mashed potato. Needless to say the potato and sweetcorn got left. For pudding I was asked do you want any Rice pudding and Jam, jam rolypoly pudding and custard or fruit? Ha Ha. I said what don't understand?

Breakfast the following day was the same options so clearly no one had listened. I ended up getting my familiy to bring food I could eat including the avocados Ha ha. When they said what would you like I said 1/2 an avocado and a chunk of cheese. The look was priceless. I said no. It's in the nurses station fridge. I gave up and continued to get family to bring what I needed.

They said 'your blood pressure is up'. I said oh I wonder why? You'd think the NHS would train their catering staff all about differing lifestyle eating choices instead of Just 'normal or halal. They couldn't grasp the Low carb principle at all. It may just have been my local Hospital trust but I'd bet it Isn't.

Kev / Timbo If like me you read everything on the meds literature you'll notice that some diabetic meds say Can cause Diabetes WTF is that about. I've given up on Statins as the research says the number of heart attacks in people who take statins is roughly the same or higher than those that don't take them. I addition I've seen that the current studies not say Chloresterol isn't the cause of blocked arteries and in fact when someone is having a hear attack the persons own body produces the 'Bad' LDL chloresterol to protect the heart so even though I've survived the ordeal I'm sticking to no Statins. The bad side effects (Night cramps and restless leg syndrome) outweighed the unsubstantiated good effect.

Not saying don't take them It's your body/life your choice.
    Last edited by Chunky; 22-09-2018 at 14:59.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"

14. Likestimbo56 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information