Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  3
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Hip Replacement Recovery

My wife fractured the top of her femur about four or five weeks ago and it didn't get properly diagnosed until last Friday morning. She had a full hip replacement op on Saturday, came home yesterday and although she seems more mobile than the weeks prior to the operation she is very weak and generally knackered after moving a few yards. I'm having trouble getting her to eat which isn't helping in my opinion.
    Then main question is has anyone here had or know someone close that's had this op and what the recovery time is in the short term for feeling generally healthier and in less pain. My wife is not a wimp and was still walking round and mucking horses out for a week or so after the initial accident and until she suddenly lost mobility and ended up using crutches. Even then it was another fortnight until the pain was so bad and I forced her to go back to A&E again where the damage was diagnosed.

We realise she'll not be properly mobile for months but I was wondering what to expect in the short term. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apart from the very major surgery your wife has had I suspect the primary reason for her being the way she is could well be down to the anaesthetic as this can sometimes take in excess of a week to clear the system properly.
    I’ve had surgery before with exactly the same side affect including the appetite suppression and I found that liquid energy supplement drinks helped a lot.

4. Likestimbo56 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply, She managed a bowl of porridge this morning, some soup tonight plus a bit of fruit during the day so It's a lot better than yesterday. Hopefully her appetite will pick up quickly as will her energy levels as she recovers

6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck to you both

8. Likestimbo56 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, it's just the reassurance I needed as we've not really been through this sort of thing before

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just as Magman said it’s mostly down to the anaesthetic and getting out the system as my wife had both knees replaced within 6 months of each other and both times she had no appetite for at least a week and was totally knackered but things do get better slowly but surely.
    Best wishes to you both.

11. Likestimbo56 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did Mrs B36 cope with both knees being done so close together? From the people I've seen who've had just one knee done I believe it's far more severe than hip replacement and slower recovery, my neighbour was over a year before he was anywhere near right

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was hell for her as she had infections both times, but give her credit She stuck to the exercises religiously and come through the other side 90% better than she was before the ops. When she was in the hospital the nurses said that a hip operation is a walk in the park compared to the knees, but both sound brutal to me.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BLOWN36 View Post
    It was hell for her as she had infections both times, but give her credit She stuck to the exercises religiously and come through the other side 90% better than she was before the ops. When she was in the hospital the nurses said that a hip operation is a walk in the park compared to the knees, but both sound brutal to me.
    It sounds like a nightmare but you have my total admiration for what she, and you have both come through. My wife seems to have turned a corner now and is so much better today, she actually wanted breakfast today and didn't need to force it down, she's a lot more mobile without needing to rest every few steps and even managed a step or two without the crutches, best she's been for weeks and she's only 7 days post op now.

Many thanks for the replies, it has helped my sanity a lot

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information