Likes Likes:  2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Motivation

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie rickbwigan's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Motivation

Motivation - its all in the head - but whats yours?

my struggle is motivation to stick with healthy eating and exercise.

i have lost weight in the past easily. one time, some one was surprised at how much weight i had put on, another time was thinking me and the mrs where breaking up, both times motivated me to lose weight.

at the moment, i really want too get going, but i have no motivation. i am blaming having 2 young kids, the mrs isnt dieting so thats not helping, going running is boring etc.

so whats your motivation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict Dr.Feelgood's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ENJOY YOURSELF - IT'S LATER THAN YOU THINK !

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mr Black Cat here , yup , suffer from diverticulosis

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rickbwigan View Post

i have lost weight in the past easily. one time, some one was surprised at how much weight i had put on, another time was thinking me and the mrs where breaking up, both times motivated me to lose weight.

at the moment, i really want too get going, but i have no motivation. i am blaming having 2 young kids, the mrs isnt dieting so thats not helping, going running is boring etc.

For me, realisation of my own mortality.

Gave up smoking after 20 odd years in one afternoon, following a health scare: I had ongoing chest pain, had checkup, ECG etc, turned out to be strain from lifting 8x4 plywood onto shed roof. But it **** me up enough to consider if it had been something more serious. ( googling symptoms before seeing doctor, didn’t help my peace of mind).

It’s a cliche, but you’ve got young 2 kids so you want to around for them as long as possible? I know I do for mine.

Official RnS Addict Dr.Feelgood's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Mr Black Cat here , yup , suffer from diverticulosis
    The percentages are huge, Kev. Until diagnosed, I had never heard of it.

Significant motivation to eat better - or else suffer the consequences.

If more people knew about it - then steps could be taken to prevent it.
    ENJOY YOURSELF - IT'S LATER THAN YOU THINK !

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Running is boring but I do 3 runs a week of around 7k at a time.
    I played football for 40 years then retired until my wife and I both
    had younger brothers diagnosed with terminal cancer within days
    of each other. That prompted us to wake up and start with the
    local council "couch to 5k"
    Boring yes but we have met people with weight, stress and mental health
    problems who benefit greatly from being with people they can talk
    to.
    I am 70 shortly and still enjoy running with my grandchildren so would
    certainly recommend it.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just having my first Sunday evening without a beer for...well, I can't remember. Back to walking at work lunchtimes tomorrow after a fortnight off, over indulging, half hour on the exercise bike and a walk in the evening. No weekday drinking and no drinking at home (which is when I snack). That's the plan anyway. Eat pretty healthily but can do better and going to try. I definitely feel better when I eat better and eat less. Aiming to shed some weight in the process. I'm 55 this month and getting to that age where I don't feel indestructable any more!

Official RnS Addict Neil Davies's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taken your car down the strip recently? Satisfied with the performance or felt you could go a bit quicker? It's easier to go faster with less weight in the car and that includes the driver. On one of the VW forums I go on there is a weight saving thread, with people choosing aluminium rocker covers over steel ones, drilling holes in ignition keys, all that sort of craziness. Once the car is featherweight the only place to lose more is from the driver...

I'd like to get down to 15 stone in the short term (16st 4lbs at the moment, up from 15st 6lbs at the start of the summer) and over the next year or so get down to about 14 stone. I don't smoke, don't really drink, just turned 41. I know I need to exercise more, although I'm on my feet at work all day. The car went 14.4 last year at Shakey, and with tuning and seat time should break into the 13's pretty comfortably, but it would be nice to knock a full second off.
    2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. [email protected] on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
    2276cc, 48IDAs, race car. [email protected] on race fuel and slicks. April 2005!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rickbwigan View Post

Hi Rick. Feel for you. It's common but You've mentioned your motivation. Your Kids. (That is mine as well as grandkids)

A lot of the time, and this was me, You think you're immortal and the inevitable won't happen to you, so we make excuses for lack of progress.

I have a view that being overweight is a compulsive disorder, Like Tourets without the swearing. I can go weeks sticking rigidly to what I'm supposed to eat then bang I've eaten something that I know will affect my diabetes but couldn't stop myself... at that time. Luckily the guilt kicks in and I get back on track.

It doesn't help if your partner doesn't share your goals but really the reason you are wanting to lose weight is for you and how you feel about you and your longevity..

Put picture of the kids on your fridge

I feel annoyed at the government who seem to lay the blame for being overweight on overweight people. It's not as simple as that. Many factors come into play not least sugar is in nearly eveything we eat, including toothpaste, but the government don't seem to be penalising food producers for including it. In many cases there's no reason for it to be included. The manufacturers know that sugar increases the cravings effect so consumers will subconciously buy more. Sweeteners are worse because they disrupt the brain function that tell you are full and to stop eating. We are creatures of habit so it's hard to break out of doing what we've nearly always done for years, especially as it, in most cases, means changing our food choices from ones we've been conditioned to eat to eating one's we wouldn't choose to eat as a first choice. Think of lifestyle changes rather than a diet.

With me the biggest thing I miss is fresh crusty bread (Stop salivating!! Ha Ha) and I have always had a sweet tooth, of which there are not many of those left now, so add cakes to my list as well. Ha ha.

What are you eating, and when?

Jon
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie rickbwigan's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont eat too badly (obviously i must do), while i at work i have a small bowl of cereal with a banana for breakfast. lunch is sandwich, crisps, 2 oranges and an apple. then i get home from work, the mrs has made a big tea, and im hungry and tired, so i eat it all. then i pick at the kids left overs, then im looking in the cupboards at the kids treats... and it goes on.
    she works evenings and weekends, so im stuck in quite a lot, kids are too young for long walks and bike rides. if i get bored i eat.

lots of excuses.

ive lost weight in the past, i know i can do it, and ive found it not too difficult.

i am 15 stone and want to lose over 2 stone. im just full excuses. starts again monday....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information