Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Pernicious anaemia/Vitamin B12 deficiency

This week is Pernicious anaemia/Vitamin B12 deficiency awareness week.

I'd never heard of this condition until I was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago. With hindsight we reckon I'd probably been suffering with it for 10 or 15 years before that.
    If you're tired & irritable most of the time, having trouble with remembering things & concentrating, it may not be just because you're getting old! Especially if you're also getting numbness & tingling in your extremities, mouth ulcers, swollen tongue, nerve problems or a whole raft of other things.
    You know the old cliche about vegetarians not having any energy? That's because B12 comes mostly from meat & dairy products. Pernicious anaemia means your antibodies are killing off the little bugs in your gut that help you process the B12.
    To put it into perspective 'pernicious' means 'deadly', it can kill you if left untreated. A simple blood test will spot it.
    No longer selling anything Hot Rod related. Not on this site anyway. Don't bother searching Ebay either, they got too greedy.........

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I figured it out for myself as lucky enough to have access to my blood results though B12 isn't a regular item to check.

Like you said something that should be looked out for if vegetarian ( I am) or vegan.

However it can easily affect others and especially those who use stomach tablets that alter stomach acid levels , basically anything ending in 'ole' especially omeprazole as long term use destroys the Intrinsic Factor required to convery food into B12

B12 normally goes hand in hand with B6 deficiency but b12 levels must be topped up to normal via injections BEFORE B6 is added in supplement form because to can damage the spinal chord.

Once you have atop up session of B12 then you should have them 3 monthly at a minimum.

A little know fact is that if you suffer from neurological issues ( liek tingling hands and feet etc ) that can be brought forward initially to 8 weekly and then 6 weekly is indicated.

B12 can also be a HUGE factor in depression .

Official RnS Addict choppedblownpop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm B12 deficient,been on the jabs for over 10 years,not a veggie,but had 16" of lower ileum removed,so can't absorb B12 !
    I'm one of the "lucky" ones as I don't suffer with any of the ailments Kev speaks about,apart from being a miserable sod

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    So that's why why my ex -neighbours wife called me a moaning old c*nt. To which I replied. 'less of the old thank you very much' I have been diagnosed B12 deficient due to the meds I'm on, I was surprised as I eat meat (not a lot but enough)so I'm not veggie or vegan but do eat a lot from those food groups.

I've had the initial course or B12 Injections and due my 3 monthly one late October. I must admit the injections help so thumbs up Doc
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia almost 5 years ago and as well as reoccurring iron deficiency anaemia. I now have injections every 8 weeks and those final weeks I certainly know I need the injection! It was a fight to get 8 weekly injections, PA is under recognised and under funded by general practice. One thing I have learnt is that you just have to pace yourself and listen to what your body is telling you - if you are new to it, hang on in there

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information