Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Lemon Squash The history, original build & the rebuild

Thought i would put up some pics & history about Lemon Squash ....
    I had back in the 80s followed it for a few years & after it became a local car to me i just had to have it
    But having missed it being for sale twice & the 3rd time no funds to buy it ...it took a little longer than i thought before i would get to own it...about 8 years! ...

These first pictures where given to me by the original builder mark spooner & show some of its build from its start as the stock consul

It was featured in various mags in the late 70s & early 80s & these are from Hot Rod & Custom Feb 82

From mark it went to peterborough & then to watford though by now it was black with some rather crap flames !.. it went through 3 owners over the next few years with me trying to be the next each time !!
    It then done what all old cars seem to do & vanish ! so at the end of 87 i put an add in SM to find it ... I did find it but it would be 89 before i could call it mine !!
    This is how it was when i got it home .... it had been subject to someones best intentions & left out side for sometime too

It also had now lost its reg. 87 VTW as its last watford owner (chris) had sold that on, the number went on to a merc

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie derek 33 ford's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thumbs upOld rods

Its good to see a older car and see some of its life

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It became a major rebuild from the time i got it home to the point that EVERY mod that had been done to the car had to be redone !! the car was 16 years old when it started its build up into lemon squash... by now it was 28 years old it did'nt look that bad untill i started work on it

As with any old car it needed inner & outer sills but with welded up rear doors it made for a bit more work !! the rear doors had to be replaced anyway the tops had rotted too ...opened for the first time in about 12 years lol

A lot of the rot that had started was from work that had been started (with them best intentions) then left, the rest because the car was by now almost 30 years old !!

The whole of the floor was replaced too with a new chassis & larger wheel tubs.
    All of the roof sides were redone & new metal work made to let the rear side glass slide into the rear panel when open

In went a 302/auto box & 8" rear ...

By now rather than repair the front i just made a new front end out of new sheet matal ! (the original front end i gave back to mark)
    All the wheel arches were PA cresta & had to be repaired the rears were made to fit tight to the rear wheels so tight you need to drop the axle to get the wheels on & off

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another one of my favourite cars. It nice to see its in good hands that know what to do with it.

sjb
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

black n flamed pics

i dident realise someone somewhere along the line had re-altered the door tops and added guttering also filling in again the rear side window bit.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then came the filler & primer...god it sounds so simple

Then came the paint...the paint as with all the work was done in my dads lock up
    I also made up new front & rear grills the chroming of which was way more money than i ever thought it would be !

The front screen is what mark had done though it took a lot of polishing to save as the last owner damaged it badly ... (its plastic not glass)

After running it without the flames for a year, because i didnt think i could do them myself, i had to do them in the end as the cost would have been out of my budget it took about 4/5 days to work out & mask up the flames then the paint work was all over in an hour !!!

Custom car featured it in 97...

I then sold it in 2000 & it has now been through a good few owners & when i last see it a couple of years back it had lost the flames & had some silver (crap) ones instead it also has had the inside redone & the original flamed head liner is now gone :****er:

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fanstasic pics lets hope it lasts another 20 years
    Owner of "street dream"GT Cortina
    Restoring Orange a peel Pop!
    Former Owner of Desperado Model T

Official RnS Addict BaronVonVVankel's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Hi hellblue, do you know anything about a Deuce Roadster called Lemon Deuce? (Given the names are so similar i figure you might).

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    AWESOME THREAD, AWESOME CAR, MUST HAVE TOOK YOU AGES TO POST THAT LOT, WELL DONE & THANKS, IVE ALWAYS LOVED THAT CAR, FIRST TIME I SAW IT WAS AT ALLY PALLY 79, THEN THE 2ND ESSEX CLUBS RUN AT GREAT LEIGHS, JULY 79, THERE ARE A COUPLE OF PICS IN YOUR FIRST BATCH OF PICTURES FROM THAT EVENT AS ARE THESE 2 THAT I TOOK...

THE WORDS ARE FROM THE CC 79 SHOW PROGRAMME...

UNFORTUNATELY MY SCHOOLMATE STUART DIDN'T LIKE IT, HERE HE IS PRETENDING TO BE SICK!!, EACH TO THEIR OWN I SUPPOSE!!...

WHEN IT TURN UP A FEW YEARS BACK AT TRINITY PARK, I WAS GOBSMACKED CAUSE I DIDN'T REALISE IT HAD BEEN REBUILT, MADE MY DAY...

"IF IT WASN'T FOR THE HISTORY WE WOULDN'T HAVE A PAST".....
    HUNDREDS OF RODDING MAGZ ALWAYS 4 SALE, PM ME YOUR WANTED LIST...
    CHECKOUT MY LATEST MAGZ ETC
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/hotrodmags/

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    excellent thread!!!,so wheres the ol' girl too now???
    anyone got any up too date pics of it???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information